03-01-14 I do not speak japanese

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

Re: 03-01-14 I do not speak japanese

Post by Spidrift »

I wrote:(Which was a joke, but I'm now imagining a seriously creepy, Kinsey-5 sort of version of Angel, who'd go out and seduce Felicia just so he could get closer to Jerzy and Dillon...)
The temptation to develop this theory is growing on me. Maybe we've not seen Felicia's face, not as a trivial joke, but because the writers are setting up a shock sub-slasher-thriller reveal about Angel's dark manipulative schemes. Unfortunately, there are a couple of plot problems with this theory, and anyway it's out of character for the comic, but it'd score a heck of a lot for chutzpah.
Static wrote:I don't speak Japanese either, evidently. It took me coming here to post to figure out what the hell "BL Action" was supposed to stand for. Is this a common phrase somewhere?
Angel is talking fluent manga-nese in this strip. It's not an interest he's mentioned before, but whatevs. Giz's characters should probably be assumed to know their manga by default.
ChattaStarhawk wrote:Annnnd Ruby is as clueless as ever ("Boys love fiction - well, of course they love fiction. Adventure stories, mostly."), but does have the feeling that she's missing something...
One reason I have for hanging in with this comic is that Ruby has been allowed to retain a spark of intelligent personality. Even when she's confused, out of her depth, and in denial, she seems to be able to take a sensible guess about what she's hearing - enough to feel embarrassed about it, anyway. Whatever's going on here, whatever Angel's gibberish means, she's twigged that she's better off getting away.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

Once again people think the mystery character is Matt and I think it's because he was revealed to be Sandra's mystery date at the end of volume one in Ma3. But on the other hand if it is Matt I wouldn't be surprised I just highly doubt that it's him. The shoulder we do see doesn't look broad enough for it to belong to a buff underwear model like Matt. My prediction is that it's a new character or perhaps Jordan like Milnoc posted.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

if it was a new character, why bother hiding their face like that?
Yet still, I live...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

So that they can reappear in the future without readers recognising them? Because they're female, and the writers want people not to know that Angel is bi? Sheer devilment?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

sparky

Post by sparky »

Is there any chance that it's Jung, given the manga-speak?

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Ruby is so easily embarrassed. If I knew her, I'd be sorely tempted to make a habit out of it just for my own amusement.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

sparky wrote:Is there any chance that it's Jung, given the manga-speak?
Would he be Jung's type? Socially if not sexually?

No, I think that lots of people in a Giz universe will speak manganese. Not all of them will know each other.
themacnut wrote:Ruby is so easily embarrassed. If I knew her, I'd be sorely tempted to make a habit out of it just for my own amusement.
That kind of game gets boring fairly quickly, if you have an ounce of human empathy.
---------
Spidrift

DrAngryEd

Post by DrAngryEd »

I'm starting to like Angel. Maybe I'll give him a chance :)
"Dreams do not vanish, so long as people do not abandon them."

Captain Phantom F. Harlock I

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote:
themacnut wrote:Ruby is so easily embarrassed. If I knew her, I'd be sorely tempted to make a habit out of it just for my own amusement.
That kind of game gets boring fairly quickly, if you have an ounce of human empathy.
Yeah, I can see a point where yet another in a long line of opportunities would come up and I'd go "Meh. Too easy".
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Combine that with the fact that she's rather sweet and very vulnerable, and it's not just too easy, it's pointlessly cruel.
---------
Spidrift

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

so, you're saying that there's still some enjoyment to be had, despite the lack of challenge.
Yet still, I live...

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Ruby is cute, especially when she is flustered like this but, I couldn't see myself pushing her buttons too much.

I wonder who this person is that we can't see... hmmm
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Tusofsky

Post by Tusofsky »

I'm really surprised no one has said uhm... What's her name, Felicity? Jerzy's sister?

That is my bet

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

You mean Felicia, as I suggested here and here?

If you're going to say that "no one" has said something, you should read the damn thread first. Otherwise, people are likely to think that you're being deliberately insulting.
---------
Spidrift

Tusofsky

Post by Tusofsky »

Ack I'm really sorry. I saw it the second time I looked x_x I have really bad brain fogs and I honest to God didn't see it. I do now.

But I agree with you, that's who I think it is.