Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

06-12-13 What is with her

Post by Shouri »

hightechartist

Re: 06-12-13 What is with her

Post by hightechartist »

I don't think I've been anywhere ever where seeing a girl at a table with three guys would make people guess she was dating all three of them (unless they were like, actively making out or something).

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Heck, I would have guessed that two of them were probably gay!

But, that wouldn't have satisfied the rule of funny. So a perceived foursome with extra man meat it is! :))

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Uh, quite. Apart from the truth in this case being a fairly easy guess, one could be looking at a family thing (girl, one boyfriend, two brothers), or friends, or a work dinner... Come to think of it, my life partner was out to dinner with a whole bunch of guys (not including me) just the other night, and I hope that nobody thought she'd got insanely lucky; she just works in a rather male-dominated line of business. Not that most of the guys she works with are as cute as those three there, admittedly.

Which provides one excuse for those three random female bystanders jumping to weird conclusions, admittedly; they're all projecting, enviously.

Anyhow, and as usual - poor Ruby. Not that she should be too unhappy at the rest of the world thinking that she's pulled so spectacularly, but she is a very private, introverted person; having the world bundle her into such a wrong category is going to terrify her.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

I think nobody saw that coming. :-o
So Ruby, what will you do ? :-ss

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

hightechartist wrote:I don't think I've been anywhere ever where seeing a girl at a table with three guys would make people guess she was dating all three of them (unless they were like, actively making out or something).
it's the fact that all three guys are on the opposite side of the table from her, i think.
Yet still, I live...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

But the guys are all huddling together and not talking to her much. It doesn't look like a terribly successful date. And that's still skimpy evidence at best.

Though I'd assume that the two younger women at least aren't assuming that Ruby has actually pulled three times over; that looks more like "if you have, well, good for you - you go, girl". Not that knowing that would help Ruby much; she has a painfully low embarrassment threshold.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:But the guys are all huddling together and not talking to her much. It doesn't look like a terribly successful date. And that's still skimpy evidence at best.

Though I'd assume that the two younger women at least aren't assuming that Ruby has actually pulled three times over; that looks more like "if you have, well, good for you - you go, girl". Not that knowing that would help Ruby much; she has a painfully low embarrassment threshold.
Those who are looking may not be able to hear what's going on and from their perspective she's seated across from 3 men as if they were interviewing or competing to be her date. Dillon and Jerzy are more focused on intimidating Andy than each other so few would think they are out on a date. Furthermore, they probably notice Andy is intimidated and think that they are fighting over Ruby. What I find interesting is that Ruby has the wherewithal to arrive at such an accurate conclusion. She may not be as clueless about dating or at the very least she at least knows enough about how things look to other people.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh, Ruby has her issues, but she's not stupid, and she has functional social awareness. (She really, really isn't "the female Gary".) She's got that people are all looking at her, that one older woman is giving her a dirty look and those two younger women are giving her thumbs up - so she looks for an explanation, works out what those other people are seeing, and draws conclusions from that. She's being bright, but not supernaturally so.

It's the kind of thing that makes me like her much more than Gary; she just needs some help, whereas he needs a slap. (Metaphorically! Metaphorically! Violence is wrong!) Mind you, if it wasn't for the older woman's look, I'd say that she was jumping half a step too far for her conclusion; those two younger woman don't have to assume that she's really got three men competing for her, just notice that she's got three good-looking guys at her table, so even if they're gay or her brothers or something, she's looking good - whatever she's doing, she's doing it right.
---------
Spidrift

Kradeiz

Post by Kradeiz »

Was I the only one who saw the woman in Panel 2 and thought 'Well! I never!"
Good Lord. I'm shocked that all my years of shooting people in bunny outfits has in no way prepared me for this.
-Nostalgia Critic

Falaris

Post by Falaris »

1: Ruby isn't the very best judge of character, or experienced at dating.
2: People seldom need much excuse to find something funny, or distasteful, or both.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

And now Ruby has an extra reason to be freaked out about the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if the next comic features her making a hasty exit and/or demanding to be taken home immediately. Poor Andy, he never really had a shot with her.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

U da gurl now, dawg!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Velf

Post by Velf »

From what I see I would suppose that we have a shotgun wedding prelude (a forced proposal stage) :)

Castamir

Post by Castamir »

Spidrift wrote:whereas he needs a slap. (Metaphorically! Metaphorically! Violence is wrong!)
Hmm... I guess Tatiana would have a word with you.
I hate dancing, but for your grave I can make an exception.