Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

22-11-13 We will sit here

Post by Shouri »

Spidrift

Re: 22-11-13 We will sit here

Post by Spidrift »

As was kind of hopefully predictable, Jerzy emerges as the sane human being who might actually help protect Ruby's sanity. It's a shame that his first effort in that direction was based on faulty information, but c'est la comedie. It also appears, from panel 1, that Ruby continues to be able to sustain normal social interactions with a guy; she is, you know, chatting and smiling. As I said before, she isn't "the female Gary"; if and when she decides that she wouldn't mind having a love life, she should be able to manage one just fine, once she gets the hang of the basics. She might even show Dillon and Amber up, by taking more of a normal, sane human being's approach than they'll ever manage.

Meanwhile, my suspicion that Andy is an Archie expy is further reinforced, as he gets jammed into the classic Archie picture composition.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Jerzy playing serious protective brother is funny. DILLION playing one is =))
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

indeed.

i actually find that dillon's relationship with ruby is making him a lot more likeable.
Yet still, I live...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It may if he can refrain from bullying her to fit his fantasies. Signs so far aren't great, though.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot

Post by Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot »

When I made my last prediction (about "pussy" double entendres) I was kinda hoping I'd be wrong....and so far, so good. Actually it's rather endearing, the two horny gay guys "protecting" Ruby from the unknown threat Dillon has wrought. Hopefully, Jerzy's exceptional (for the MA3-verse) sanity might prompt him to take Andy aside and question just how he came up with the idea for that "little something"--and maybe unravel the whole misunderstanding.

Naw, that's probably expecting a bit too much from this strip, because, hey, comedy! (Obviously not my favorite sort of comedy, but I guess I realized what I was in for when I (re-)started reading SDB. I've also realized that I seem to like all the other characters better than the title character.) Absent a sudden attack of sanity, what happens next is Ruby and Andy talking to each other obliviously, while Dillon and Jerzy look on in horror/amusement, alternately shushing each other and stifling their own guffaws at the double entendres flying above the others' heads. (If any sanity intrudes, it will only be after this.)

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

I just restarted reading SDB again too and I'll just say I'll read it as a Ma3 Lite or perhaps a Diet Ma3. The comic has its moments and its not meant to be taken too seriously because its a sex/romantic comedy just like Ma3.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot wrote:Absent a sudden attack of sanity, what happens next is Ruby and Andy talking to each other obliviously, while Dillon and Jerzy look on in horror/amusement, alternately shushing each other and stifling their own guffaws at the double entendres flying above the others' heads.
I can also see Ruby getting annoyed when Jerzy and especially Dillon prevent her from having a sensible conversation with Andy, because of their distrust or those double entendres or whatever. "You tricked me into this, and then when he turned out to be ... okay really, and we just tried to talk, you kept stopping us. What is your problem?"
---------
Spidrift

Martellus

Post by Martellus »

zaprzapb wrote:I just restarted reading SDB again too and I'll just say I'll read it as a Ma3 Lite or perhaps a Diet Ma3. The comic has its moments and its not meant to be taken too seriously because its a sex/romantic comedy just like Ma3.
If it was your intent, well I don't think anything you say or do will make people stop from over-thinking and/or hating the characters/situation. A worthy effort though.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Adamas wrote:Jerzy playing serious protective brother is funny. DILLION playing one is =))
I'm loving Jerzy more and more.

And I'm really hoping Dillon's act is that of a protective brother and not that of a jealous gay man (we've seen him get pissy/jealous when the object of his desires shows interest in someone other than himself before).
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think that Dillon is serious about being protective of Ruby; he's noticed that she's innocent and naive, and needs special consideration - note his thought bubbles when she was unconscious after she was fished out of the pool. And he's not just motivated by lust and jealousy; he also seems to enjoy treating Ruby as some kind of project, sorting out her wardrobe, fixing her up with a boyfriend, inflicting makeovers on her, and all that. And after all, it was him tried to point her at Andy in the first place (or vice-versa).

It's all very camp gay stereotype, really - he wants to be every girl's cute gay best friend. And it's not malicious in any way. The problem is, he's prone to treating Ruby as a toy rather than a person, bullying her into going along with his scheme of the moment, and throwing tantrums when she doesn't fit in with his ideas. He understands that she's vulnerable, but he doesn't bother asking why. And in this latest incident, he's playing another part - a protective big brother who happens also to be a gay best friend. I'm sure that he'll try to play it well, so long as he remembers, but he may just as easily do something stupid and damaging at some point because it fits with his mental script of how things are supposed to go.
---------
Spidrift

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Well, that date just went south. So much for Ruby and Andy's chances.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:As was kind of hopefully predictable, Jerzy emerges as the sane human being who might actually help protect Ruby's sanity. It's a shame that his first effort in that direction was based on faulty information, but c'est la comedie.
Well Jerzy does have reason to jump to conclusions. Hope Andy isn't too injured in the ensuing trainwreck. He seems like a nice albeit clueless guy.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

themacnut wrote:Well, that date just went south. So much for Ruby and Andy's chances.
Believe me, it's for the best.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Probably so. Way this comic works, Ruby's probably going to turn out lesbian anyway - all previous evidence to the contrary.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard