14-10-13 I got distracted

Post by Shouri »

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: 14-10-13 I got distracted

Post by Azrael »

You are now within the sphere of Dillon's influence, Ruby. Abandon all hope. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

So one moment, Dillon has noticed that Ruby is shy and easily embarrassed, and is considerate of that fact, and the very next strip he's doing this?

I know that comedy trumps characterisation in this comic, but a little consistency is all I ask*.

Okay, maybe we have consistency, I guess; Dillon is consistently too stupid to live.

*Give us this day our daily mask.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Raamyah
Creator of small worlds

Post by Raamyah »

Dillon, what is your method here? Is it to continually embarrass the hell out of Ruby to some sort of trauma, or are you somehow trying to get her to a new paradigm where she isn't embarrassed by anything due to you using it all up?
"There are four pillars of existence that support the very foundations of the universe: the speed of light in a vacuum, the Planck constant, Newtonian gravity, and the all-encompassing awesomeness of breasts." - Pauli Polsuo

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid." - Anonymous

Crystafent82

Post by Crystafent82 »

I kinda expect that phone to take dive as soon as Ruby gets her hands on it.
You can never be too old to have fun.

If you can't tell by now, English is not my first language.
Eisu wrote:The nipples makes a lot of difference, it's all technical.
You can quote me on that too.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Spidrift wrote:So one moment, Dillon has noticed that Ruby is shy and easily embarrassed, and is considerate of that fact, and the very next strip he's doing this?
ok, he created an audio/visual record of the event. it's not like he uploaded it directly to youtube or something, so i don't see the problem.
Yet still, I live...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Crystafent82 wrote:I kinda expect that phone to take dive as soon as Ruby gets her hands on it.
Sadly, that doesn't seem to be her style. If Andy arranges that accident, I'll upgrade his assessment from "bit-part character" to "likely romantic interest".
'J' wrote:ok, he created an audio/visual record of the event. it's not like he uploaded it directly to youtube or something, so i don't see the problem.
Ruby does. She just said that she wants to forget about this whole situation as soon as possible, and she really wouldn't want anyone else talking about it or thinking about it if that can be avoided. (We've all been there on a smaller scale, haven't we? Hit that moment of utter cringe after everything goes wrong in the most embarrassing possible way, and just wanted to draw a damn veil?) And now Dillon is cheerfully waving a semi-permanent record of the whole small but total humiliation around.

At minimum, this creates the risk of Amber seeing it - one more person to leave Ruby wanting to hide in a corner. And anyhow, this is Dillon. On previous form, he's quite capable of uploading the footage to YouTube for some deranged and incomprehensible reason of his own, or just leaving it around where someone else can get hold of it, possibly months in the future.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Don't you people see it? Dillon's trying to BREAK Ruby; tear away all her little preconceptions and defenses about/against the world until she either has a screaming nervous breakdown and ends up in the proverbial rubber room in a straightjacket, or becomes someone who has sexual escapades so outrageous that she makes Dillon and Amber go :-o @-) .

Or more likely, Ruby has been set up as the perfect foil (and perpetual victim) of Dillon's escapades. As seen in this last sequence of strips.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

The Golden Rule of recordings: Unless atomized immediately, they WILL be spread and someone will get their hands on them who should not.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

themacnut wrote:Ruby has been set up as the perfect foil (and perpetual victim) of Dillon's escapades. As seen in this last sequence of strips.
Yeah. Problem is, Ruby is the nearest thing I've got to an identifiable character in this comic, so setting her up as the perpetual victim (and there hasn't been a day yet in the story in which something seriously distressing hasn't happened to her) just leaves me wanting to hose Dillon down with iced water.
Don Alexander wrote:The Golden Rule of recordings: Unless atomized immediately, they WILL be spread and someone will get their hands on them who should not.
Yep. More or less true in reality, certainly true in comedy. Ruby is right to take this badly.

Actually, as we've now had an attack of plausible reality with regard to Ruby's glasses, I wonder if Andy might, say, tell Dillon that cameras are banned in the pool area. It's the kind of civilised rule that I'd expect.
---------
Spidrift

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote:
themacnut wrote:Ruby has been set up as the perfect foil (and perpetual victim) of Dillon's escapades. As seen in this last sequence of strips.
Yeah. Problem is, Ruby is the nearest thing I've got to an identifiable character in this comic, so setting her up as the perpetual victim (and there hasn't been a day yet in the story in which something seriously distressing hasn't happened to her) just leaves me wanting to hose Dillon down with iced water.
Dillon does get the occasional comeuppance though. After all, look at the end result of his and Ruby's little misadventure in the pet store. In fact, I would go so far as to call the end result of that arc an Epic Fail for Dillon and a minor win for Ruby - she took home a kitten which seems to soothe her. She'll need that soothing effect after today's events.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

dmra

Post by dmra »

So 11 posts in and nobody has wondered where exactly Dillon was keeping his phone!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

themacnut wrote:Dillon does get the occasional comeuppance though. After all, look at the end result of his and Ruby's little misadventure in the pet store. In fact, I would go so far as to call the end result of that arc an Epic Fail for Dillon and a minor win for Ruby - she took home a kitten which seems to soothe her. She'll need that soothing effect after today's events.
The problem for me there was that Ruby going all fluffy and girly over a kitten just annoyed me. I've got nothing against cats, but she stopped being relatable for me there and just looked sad. Crazy-cat-lady-in-training.

And while the writers are clearly trying to avoid Dillon looking too much like their pet, his comeuppances are small compared to the scale of his unearned successes. Swallowing a cricket is not an epic fail, and seeing your rival score a success that costs you nothing is merely mildly annoying.
dmra wrote:So 11 posts in and nobody has wondered where exactly Dillon was keeping his phone!
If you're implying ... anything, one just wishes that someone would make him put it back there.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Actually, as we've now had an attack of plausible reality with regard to Ruby's glasses, I wonder if Andy might, say, tell Dillon that cameras are banned in the pool area. It's the kind of civilised rule that I'd expect.
That would certainly make Andy the hero a second time and not as extreme as him or Ruby grabbing and tossing the phone into the pool. It might be deserved, but those things are expensive to replace.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The trouble is, it's Dillon. He'd apologise, but he'd also get a sudden attack of convenient ditziness and not be able to delete video clips from his 'phone.

At which point, we'd either have to have a long and boring discussion of the rights and wrongs of the whole subject, or someone would have to swipe the 'phone and deal with the problem while everyone else was gabbing, or... Frankly, a convenient accident involving a pool full of water really seems like the standard comedy solution. It's not like these comics regularly go into the minutiae of character budgets, and it's not like Dillon is broke - he could afford to buy Ruby a pair of designer jeans on a whim.

It's also not like all of us give a wet slap about Dillon being inconvenienced, either.
---------
Spidrift