19-08-13 Rogue cricket on our hands

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Fluffy

Re: 19-08-13 Rogue cricket on our hands

Post by Fluffy »

IamBernard wrote:For some reason I find calling Ruby Abby much more acceptable than calling Dillon Dillion. No idea why.
I'm blaming my name flub on the fact I made my post around 3AM. XD
Anyway. This particular strip gives me a really bad feeling. I know it's not real but I still can't help but think about how easily those crickets could get hurt or killed. :-s
Well...Angel *was* buying them with the sole intention of feeding them to his pet lizard; so, they were going to die, either way.

I think the bigger worry would be if Jacob loses his job over this (300 crickets overrunning a pet store and one of the employees and a 'customer' having an epic freak out (not counting Angel, as he seems to be the least freaked out) can't be good for business.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

We still don't know quite how or why Jacob ended up working at the store. Given that he's realistically rather young to be doing any sort of paying job, and that he's pretty useless for the job anyway (someone who's freaked out by some fairly harmless-looking insects, in a shop that sells lots of them for pet food and presumably also sells lots of other interesting wildlife), I wonder if we should guess that he's family or something.

If the store is run on a shoestring by one enthusiast with no idea about management, that might be another reason for Ruby to roll her eyes and offer to lend a hand in exchange for some good references. (It'd also give her a chance to hang around some cute kittens without taking one home and imposing on her hosts.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

That cricket is dying the most macho cricket death ever!!! =)) =)) =))
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

"You said it yourself, Spock - There is no way to blast through the hull of that machine, so... I'm gonna take this thing right down its throat."
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

I feel for Dillon. I'm not scared of crickets but if 300 of them were suddenly unleashed I would be shrieking and hopping like everyone else ("OH GOD ITS IN MY HAIR AND IN MY SHIRT EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK").

Dillon, you need to take a calm inventory of what you're doing! Jerzy you're a jerk who is also smart! I kinda wish the two of them would hate-screw somehow lmao, the fallout would be hilarious.

Bloody Vikings

Post by Bloody Vikings »

I presume you mean Angel, not Jerzey.

And afraid of bugs or not, I would imagine anyone would react poorly to a dozen trying to climb up up leg and one playing "sacrifice to the volcano god" at your mouth.
Proud owner of one "Gotcha" point, courtesy of TBeholder and 1.35 Internets (after taxes) from Don Alexander.
Also one IOU for an internets from FragileMara.

someone

Post by someone »

Smallfoot wrote:RIP the lone cricket leaping into the shrieking Dilly-maw.

I guess crickets love the sound of his voice.
This is my favorite part of the strip.

Dillon is a perfect source of schadenfreude. :ymdevil:

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote: If the store is run on a shoestring by one enthusiast with no idea about management, that might be another reason for Ruby to roll her eyes and offer to lend a hand in exchange for some good references. (It'd also give her a chance to hang around some cute kittens without taking one home and imposing on her hosts.)
This of course assumes she doesn't take one look at the store's dawning crickpocalypse (thanks Artemisia :)) ) and run screaming out of the pet store never to return. She did have a rather violent reaction to seeing just one of them after all. I think even her sense of self-control would be sorely tested by a whole swarm, harmless bugs or not.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

DrAngryEd

Post by DrAngryEd »

Oh Dillon...not in the mouth!!!
"Dreams do not vanish, so long as people do not abandon them."

Captain Phantom F. Harlock I

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

Spidrift wrote:"You said it yourself, Spock - There is no way to blast through the hull of that machine, so... I'm gonna take this thing right down its throat."
Cricketdor Deckard noooo! X_X

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I'm now imagining that cricket looking at Dillon, muttering "Not so bad", pulling on a tricorn hat, and saying "'Ello beastie", before making its move.
themacnut wrote:This of course assumes she doesn't take one look at the store's dawning crickpocalypse (thanks Artemisia :)) ) and run screaming out of the pet store never to return. She did have a rather violent reaction to seeing just one of them after all. I think even her sense of self-control would be sorely tested by a whole swarm, harmless bugs or not.
I'm probably sentimentalising a character who reminds me of people I know, but I still think of Ruby's "Yeeep!" as ''startled'' rather than violent. She's a cartoon character; violent reactions from them involve physically leaping backwards. I imagine her seeing the swarm as a highly unpleasant irritation rather than a source of fear.

Sex, and hence by extension Amber's lifestyle and Dillon's actions last night, are her big fear-trigger - but she's still staying in that apartment. If she can push through that, do you think a few insects will stop her?
---------
Spidrift

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

zaprzapb wrote:
Spidrift wrote:"You said it yourself, Spock - There is no way to blast through the hull of that machine, so... I'm gonna take this thing right down its throat."
Cricketdor Deckard noooo! X_X

No, that would be Commodore Matt Decrickard
:p
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

MonCappy

Post by MonCappy »

Seeing all those creepy crickets actually creeps me out a bit.
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy but socially dead.
http://moncappys.minitroopers.com

FrostDancer81

Post by FrostDancer81 »

I know I would be freaking out if crickets were jumping everywhere.
THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT? - Bad Dudes

I, who stand in the full light of the heavens command thee, who opens the gates of hell, come fourth divine lightning! This ends now! Indignation! - Jade Curtiss(Tales of the Abyss)

Indestructible—determination that is incorruptible,from the other side, a terror to behold, annihilation will be unavoidable. Every broken enemy will know, that their opponent had to be invincible. Take a last look around while you're alive, I'm an indestructible master of war! - Indestructible by Disturbed.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote:I'm now imagining that cricket looking at Dillon, muttering "Not so bad", pulling on a tricorn hat, and saying "'Ello beastie", before making its move.
:)) =)) Classic, Spi, classic. If you're gonna go, go out fighting!

Spidrift wrote: Sex, and hence by extension Amber's lifestyle and Dillon's actions last night, are her big fear-trigger - but she's still staying in that apartment. If she can push through that, do you think a few insects will stop her?
But it's not just a "few" insects, it's 300 crawling, hopping, noise making insects swarming all over the place (and everybody in the area). That's enough to make many MEN lose their cool (as Dillon is doing, and several presumably male forum users have said they might), never mind a relatively naive and sheltered young woman like Ruby. I really wouldn't be surprised if she lost it and ran out screaming, and I really wouldn't blame her either - many people's natural response to the sight of swarming insects is to panic and flee.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard