29-03-13 Can never get enough of this show

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

Re: 29-03-13 Can never get enough of this show

Post by Spidrift »

Well, yes, as I said subsequently, this attitude may be a recent acquisition caused by a bad experience. But if it's actually something she's brought with her all the way from adolescence, then her time at university must have been a little odd, to say the least - because it will have necessarily involved a lot of associating with men of her own age, and if she was this nervous and hostile around them, for three years or so, the stress on herself and everyone nearby will have been extreme. And yet she apparently graduated just fine.

Note, by the way, that her attitude isn't just an intellectual "men aren't worth the trouble". When the mere idea of being in the same apartment as a guy is just mentioned, she sweats, she looks angry, and she quickly changes the subject. That looks like a deep-seated emotional reaction.

Alternatively, she's like this because the gag is that she's the opposite of her big sister, ha ha ha.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

On the other hand, she may have gone to an all-women's college and fallen in with an anti-male group of female students. Alternatively, just being at an all-female college and focused on her studies may have afforded her virtually no opportunity to associate with men her age, and therefore no chance to correct whatever adolescent hang-ups she may have about boys. Which would make her about as socially developed as...Gary.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Are there many all-female colleges left in Canada? I know that there are still a few within collegiate universities in the UK, and I guess if someone went to one of those, stuck to a subject that that could be supervised entirely within the college, and was careful where she sat in lectures and the faculty library, she could just about pull through a degree course without too much androphobic stress... It'd get her a slightly weird rep within the college, though, I'd think.

I'd say that Ruby had a severe problem coming up with her chosen degree/career focus, though. Business Administration? For someone who looks likely to have trouble working with men (and who insists on wearing miniskirts)? Oops.

And yeah, she does look a bit Gary-esque now. But as of Ma3, Gary was half-way to being a shut-in, with no apparent ambitions at his day job, and problems with his artistic dreams linked to his hang-ups. Ruby has actual qualifications, and apparently ambitions in the big wide world. That's ... dissonance.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

themacnut wrote:On the other hand, she may have gone to an all-women's college and fallen in with an anti-male group of female students. Alternatively, just being at an all-female college and focused on her studies may have afforded her virtually no opportunity to associate with men her age, and therefore no chance to correct whatever adolescent hang-ups she may have about boys. Which would make her about as socially developed as...Gary.
Or she associated with a lot of men 'her age' and ended up hating them because of how immature they are.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Hurbster

Post by Hurbster »

Yeah, she doesn't look like she's into the university 'go out and have fun' thing. So yes she probably would hate blokes who passed and had a social life as well.

And everytime I see her I keep thinking of Velma Dinkley now.
"We're only immortal for a limited time. " - Dreamline.