18-01-13 Maneuver four

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: 18-01-13 Maneuver four

Post by Don Alexander »

Or, you know, he does Matt "Stifler's" mom... :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Chantelune

Post by Chantelune »

Radbaron wrote:
Zafnak wrote:Does that box say beef sticks with beef? :-?
No. Stick Au Beouf means "sticks from beef"

Avec means "with"
Nope, not in this case. Sticks au boeuf does indeed mean sticks with beef. As in "contain beef" or "made with/from beef". Well, "au" and "avec" have quite the same meaning.

But eh, french is an overly-complicated langage, to the point where many french nowadays can barely write it without mistakes, sadly. -.-

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

"Beef Sticks" would be the proper translation in this case. It's this reversal of words that make it possible to use a single multilingual word to describe a product, and an alternate word in the appropriate language to describe the product's "flavour".

Salt and vinegar
CHIPS
au sel et vinaigre

The only problem with the strip is that "Sticks" is a purely English word. It means nothing in French.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

French is French...Quebecquios is Quebecquois. They're almost two different languages now.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Chantelune

Post by Chantelune »

the french of this would be "batonnets au/de boeuf". But we use "stick" as it is for those, sometimes. Wouldn't surprise me to see "sticks au boeuf" in a french store. Some english words are widely used instead of their french equivalent. So it's still correct as a multilangage packaging.

Edit : yeah, well, the grammar still remain widely the same, it's mostly on some points and slang (along with the accent) that makes it hard for french to understand Quebecquois. ^^

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

My mother learned Parisian French and had to use an out dated dictionary with lots of older words in it in order to translate the Quebec records.

That was fun.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

As a French Canadian, I have trouble understanding the French when they speak because they have COMPLETELY MANGLED the French language by their increased use of English words in everyday speech! To make matters worse, the way they pronounce these English words makes them COMPLETELY INCOMPREHENSIBLE, pronouncing them as if they were French words! And they do this even when they try to speak IN ENGLISH!!!

I tell ya! I had trouble just ordering breakfast at a Paris McDonald's because I had absolutely no idea how to pronounce "MacMuffin!"

Chantelune

Post by Chantelune »

Yeah, sadly we don't learn how to pronounce properly english words, but still use them a lot. Thing is, even if you make the effort to pronounce properly those english words, most french wouldn't understand them because most aren't used to listen at english.

But eh, when one of our politician, years ago, passed a law to avoir english words to get in french langage too deeply, he was regarded as retrograde, so... :(

someone

Post by someone »

Milnoc wrote:As a French Canadian, I have trouble understanding the French when they speak because they have COMPLETELY MANGLED the French language by their increased use of English words in everyday speech!
And the Québécois too have COMPLETELY MANGLED the French language through increased use of English words in everyday speech -- it's just that it's not the same set of English words.

Stonefoot

Post by Stonefoot »

Mr. Bee wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:Amber makes a really effective winggirl!! :-o
Hee Hee, Zii should take notes. :))
Remember Amber and Zii's history. Amber may have learned most of what she knows from Zii. :D :ymblushing:
Chantelune wrote:Hey, wonder what's gonna be plan B if the guy turns out to be het ? Dillon dressing up as amber to get a taste of the guy, the way he did with Gary ? :p
Ha! That would be great. :ymdevil: Good chance it wouldn't end well though.
Don Alexander wrote:Or, you know, he [Jung} does Matt "Stifler's" mom... :P
=)) :D =))
someone wrote:
Milnoc wrote:As a French Canadian, I have trouble understanding the French when they speak because they have COMPLETELY MANGLED the French language by their increased use of English words in everyday speech!
And the Québécois too have COMPLETELY MANGLED the French language through increased use of English words in everyday speech -- it's just that it's not the same set of English words.
I propose a compromise solution: The new 'world language' which everyone will speak in the future? Provençal!
Last edited by Stonefoot on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
A child of 5 could understand this. Fetch me a child of 5.
If you can get to 50 without growing up, you don't have to.
There are very few personal problems which can't be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

someone wrote:And the Québécois too have COMPLETELY MANGLED the French language through increased use of English words in everyday speech -- it's just that it's not the same set of English words.
There have been many improvements made over the years. While we still call a hot dog a hot dog and a hamburger a hamburger (and pronounce it correctly), we sound less and less like our neighbourhood auto mechanic. :D

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Stonefoot wrote:
Mr. Bee wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:Amber makes a really effective winggirl!! :-o
Hee Hee, Zii should take notes. :))
Remember Amber and Zii's history. Amber may have learned most of what she knows from Zii. :D :ymblushing:
Why do I have this horrible, horrible desire to prove that everyone in Ma3 is, somehow, connected sexually to either Zii or Dillon in one massive web.

mac2

Post by mac2 »

If you go by six degrees of separation, they almost certainly are.

Actually, I'll bet you don't even need six degrees.
Yes, it is as bad as you think, and they are out to get you

Everything is significant until proven otherwise.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

I think you'd about three at most. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

zenaku

Post by zenaku »

I'm betting that while Jerzy is straight... Felicia is a lesbian :p She will answer the door... and Amber won't have a chance to talk to Jerzy.