14-01-13 Hello new neighbor

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Oarboar

Re: 14-01-13 Hello new neighbor

Post by Oarboar »

MoonshadowDark wrote:I think a better question is why is nearly everyone in Canada a bisexual?

It just seems very unlikely that one out of every three characters that get introduced in these comics is a horny bisexual.
If you're gay or bisexual, do you want to hang out in Chicoutimi or Rouyn-Noranda and a very limited dating pool and people who don't like your kind, or would you rather to move to Montreal and increase your chances of finding a date? Heck, straight people also find the dating pool better in the big city than in the small town. (See Ma3, Gary.)
Kradeiz wrote:While I am so far enjoying this comic, I can't help but gag anytime someone ends a name with "y-poo". :ymsick:
Same here. But Dillon seems like the kind of guy who would enjoy it.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I like the sussing out between Jerzy and Dillon in panel 2 and beyond to establish "Hey, is it OK to be interested in you?" We straights go through that to a lesser extent as well.
"Hey Blossom! I’ve got reach, and you’ve got flexibility. We should bang."
"If you've been given a tank, you don't park it outside a nunnery. You go to war."
"Que ce bordel?" -- Maurice Richard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Power_Pachyderms wrote:Heh, is it me or does this fella look kinda like a more handsome/less nerdy version of Gary?
Actually, it occurs to me that he and his sister could be members of Gary's family, sent to the city of sin to locate Gary and drag him back into the arms of the community of the chosen. Jerzy has been instructed to attempt to pass undetected amongst all those thousands of godless degenerate sodomites, and has unfortunately thrown himself into the role with a little too much energy.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

FragileMara

Post by FragileMara »

Power_Pachyderms wrote:Heh, is it me or does this fella look kinda like a more handsome/less nerdy version of Gary? ;))
Seems like Dilly-poo has a thing for brown-haired... :D

Also : yay ! for the dépanneur. As previously stated by Bobolink, it covers a particular type of store - not only is it French, but it is a proper Quebecism...
(it is also quite emotional for me to read, as I'm leaving Montréal in a couple days and won't see another one of those in a long time... :(
Last edited by FragileMara on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently undergoing minor existential crisis. Would appreciate any pointers towards your favorite science-fiction works as means to help restore faith in the Universe as a whole.

"SCIENCE!"

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Jerzy Janowicz is right now the Tennis player ranked number 24
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

So the actual name of the guy is Jack Reacher? :-?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Think I'm missing a reference here, having neither read any of the books nor seen the movie.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

If he was asked for his name in places where he did not want people to know his real name, he gave false names - but all of them were always second basemen of the New York Yankees. Toward the end of the movie, he meets an old geezer (Robert Duvall) who says something along the lines of "I knew you wasn't the Yankees second baseman from the season of 1923."

Okay, so it's tennis, not baseball, but...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Power_Pachyderms wrote:Heh, is it me or does this fella look kinda like a more handsome/less nerdy version of Gary? ;))
Gary after a few weeks in the gym and contacts....Yeah I could see that.
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

someone

Post by someone »

Bobolink wrote:
Hurbster wrote:Have we ever seen Dillon use French before ? Just seems a bit odd he would not just say 'shop' or 'store'.
In Montréal, the use of the word "dépanneur" is almost universal, it has no direct translation. Its closest English equivalent is "corner store" but that is not an adequate translation. It is also where one buys beer and wine but not spirits.
By the way, any Canuck going to the Old World show know that "dépanneur" has a different meaning in France French (breakdown mechanics).

"Panne" means technical problem (hence, "pan-pan"). From there the verb "dépanner" literally means "to undo a problem", or more simply "to fix". So a dépanneur is literally a "fixer", and from there it can mean to tow and repair a damaged car. I guess the Montréal use comes from the fact that such convenience stores can "fix" you with whatever random food, drink, or household item you need; without having to look for a specialized shop or to take the car to go to a big mall.

Shotgun65

Post by Shotgun65 »

Oh wow... that escalated quickly...
I believe Monkeys are the answer to your questions.