Ask Gisele and Shouri Questions Here!

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

Re: Ask Gisele and Shouri Questions Here!

Post by Spidrift »

So I gather that will indeed be the last volume.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Oh, yes, sorry if that wasn't clear. It doesn't mean we won't touch on these characters again though. We have plans for Dillon in Ma3, and I like Ruby a lot, so I may use her elsewhere. We'll see! :)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Okay - thanks for the confirmation.

(It was actually quite clear to me, but I know how these boards are; if it wasn't down in black and white, there'd have been quibbling.)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Well I'm sorry to read this and even sorrier that Spidrift is right. However, there will still be one last volume and cameo appearances in Menage a 3 so there's something to look forward to.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Beware, Giz! :-!

Thou dost disturbeth the circles of the Anonymous Legion of Minou!

Lo, there was Cat, and Cat was, and Cat will Eternally Be!

^:)^
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Anyway, now that we know that SDB is coming to an end relatively soon (in strip-count terms), I have to ask, out of pure curiosity: Are we likely to see Amber and Ruby interacting significantly with their parents in those 96 or so strips?

There's a whole load of relationship drama implicit there - for a start, we don't know if their parents really did favour Amber over Ruby, and we don't know how they'll react when they find out about Amber's old job, and the answers to those sorts of questions are surely likely to play a significant part in the resolution of Ruby's difficult relationship with Amber. But on the other hand, the comic has seemed to shy away from that sort of extended melodrama, and 96 strips may not be enough to resolve that sort of thing when it'll also be dealing with Dillon, Angel, Jerzy, and a load of other stuff. So I guess that the real question is how much will actually be settled by the time that the comic ends.

(I also wonder if we'll see Felicia in the very last strip.)
---------
Spidrift

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

So how soon will Dillon show up in Menage a 3? And will it only be a cameo or will he have a more substantial role?

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

not saying Angel/Angie is inspired by her

but found interesting that the new writer Mia Siegert is in same situation as Angel/Angie of being bigender
ImageImage

ekuth
Location: In that filthy little corner in the back of your mind...

Post by ekuth »

Oh, so SDB is ending... and we're on ANOTHER haitus so we can do the Cons and suck up to merchandisers and fanbois dressed as furries while ignoring the readerbase that put you on the map as an artist...

Enjoy the 'fame' and inevitable death of your creations as your readership realizes that Cons,$$$ and stretching yourself too thin to pay attention to what got you there, is far more important.

Mark me, you'll be there.

And no one will care anymore, because we're tired of half assed stories with no direction other than sexual/LGBT sight gags, excuses and furloughs, and letting the few projects that actually showed some reality and heart (SDB) die from neglect.

You know... just like your readers.

The ones who DON'T go to cons.

Now let the fanboi flaming commence.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

brasca

Post by brasca »

This really isn't the place for that ekuth.

How about trying to be happy for Gisele who's starting to find success in her field instead of being a whiny entitled troll.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Now that it's October is it safe to say this comic is on indefinite hiatus? If that's the case will we ever see Ruby in Ma3 at some point?

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

The plan right now is to do one final chapter (a fairly long one) that wraps up everything. We'll include it in book 2. This doesn't mean it's the end of these characters. We will see them again somewhere. It's hard for me to predict when I'll get to this as freelance jobs (that are hard to say no to) keep showing up. As soon as I get a moment though, I'll get to it for sure.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Now I'm curious, seeing EC dumped, MC dumped, now SDB being dumped. Was that always the plan? Is SotR going to be dumped too? Or is this a matter of them just not bring in enough money?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think it's simply that Giz and Shouri have been getting more mainstream-comics-industry work. I'm sure that they've been hoping for and working towards that for a long time, but it wasn't a "plan"; that would imply that they could decide when they got that work, which wasn't up to them at all, whatever they might wish.

And, of course, once they do have that work, it tends to squeeze out the least profitable alternative tasks - so SDB and the others "aren't making enough money" in that sense.

But I imagine that SotR is currently safe, because neither Giz nor Shouri work on that. It gets squeezed out by Eisu's more-profitable alternative employment, but strictly on a day-by-day basis.

It is a shame about SDB, though. With Ma3 looking a bit unfocused and flabby just now, and the other comics handed off to other artists, it was the best Giz comic we were getting.
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

JoybuzzerX wrote:Now I'm curious, seeing EC dumped, MC dumped, now SDB being dumped. Was that always the plan? Is SotR going to be dumped too? Or is this a matter of them just not bring in enough money?
You're missing Fragile. :P

I miss that one. :(

But as Spi says, SotR, and also DC, seem pretty safe since they're Dave + "other Artist" projects - and Ma3 has always been the central focus for Giz.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)