05-04-13 Something you are not telling me

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

Re: 05-04-13 Something you are not telling me

Post by Spidrift »

JoybuzzerX wrote:I'm hoping it's less gay or uninterrested and just that Ruby is prudish
But prudish isn't an orientation, it's a state of mind - one that can be explained, or changed, or otherwise used to fuel plots. But then her orientation would still be an open question, of at least academic interest. More than that, in fact, as a prude can be distracted or flustered in circumstances where their buttons are being pushed despite their prudishness.
themacnut wrote:I would not be surprised if Monday's comic does not provide ANY further illumination toward what's going on with Ruby. Either it's going to be further hilarious misunderstanding as in Stonefoot's version, or Ruby continues to evade, dodge and block Amber's inquiries like a professional boxer, simply because she really does NOT want to talk with her sister about her sexuality or lack thereof - I get the impression that Ruby isn't comfortable talking to Amber about that kind of thing, and may never be. It wouldn't surprise me if Ruby just ended the conversation by walking away and going to bed, leaving both Amber (and the readers by extension) further frustrated and confused.
Quite possibly - basically, G&S may just decide to spin this gag out for as long as possible, keeping the question of what's going on inside Ruby's head as one of the ongoing mysteries of the comic.

On the other hand, well, they've got to do something with Ruby now she's here. I assume that she'll eventually interact with the title character, for one thing, and traditionally, a flaming queen character like Dillon will react to a reserved, small-c conservative character like Ruby by treating her as some kind of living dress-up doll. At which point, having Ruby just be cryptic and surly will merely block the joke.
astaroth09 wrote:You know I thinking were getting a very good image of what Jacqui would have been like had Chloe not intervened.
Nah. Jacqui simply hadn't hit puberty properly at that point. Chloe caused her to hit it at the sprint, but I suspect that she'd have come through it somehow, eventually. Ruby is acting like a pre-pubertal geek (such as the young Jacqui); something has actively kept her back in that mode.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

BlairFan wrote:On the other hand, Ruby could be bi or lesbian. Personally, I'd rather she were a lesbian, because that would introduce a new kind of character to the SDB/ Ma3 world. (I don't think there are any major lesbian characters so far.) :-?
And I'd rather she weren't. Not that I wouldn't like a fully lesbian character in the verse. But please, not of the man-hating/despising type. That's so clichéd: "she doesn't like men, she MUST be a lesbian! / she's a lesbian, she MUST hate men!" 8-|

It's much mor fun and interesting, in my opinion, to have a straight man-hating female character (and actually Ruby's childish disgust is more entertaining than the typical "all men are bastards because all the one I dated were" character type...for now) and a lesbian who likes hanging out and having fun with guys (which we currently don't have. Bi characters do not count).

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

Wait, so Ruby came into foray wearing a mini skirt straight out of Otaku Fantasy Land (Sailor Moon anyone?), gave Dilllon a gratuitous panty shot, and then she started all this prudish stuff, with all this negativity towards men and the nightgown that even a 90-year-old grandma would refuse to wear. And she's not a lesbian. It all makes great sense.
FIRRIB

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
JoybuzzerX wrote:I'm hoping it's less gay or uninterrested and just that Ruby is prudish
But prudish isn't an orientation, it's a state of mind - one that can be explained, or changed, or otherwise used to fuel plots. But then her orientation would still be an open question, of at least academic interest. More than that, in fact, as a prude can be distracted or flustered in circumstances where their buttons are being pushed despite their prudishness.
Nope, it's not. But it'd be a far more interresting reason for her attitude (or even her being jealous of her sister) than her trying to keep her orientation secret.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Bambikles wrote:
BlairFan wrote:On the other hand, Ruby could be bi or lesbian. Personally, I'd rather she were a lesbian, because that would introduce a new kind of character to the SDB/ Ma3 world. (I don't think there are any major lesbian characters so far.) :-?
And I'd rather she weren't. Not that I wouldn't like a fully lesbian character in the verse. But please, not of the man-hating/despising type. That's so clichéd: "she doesn't like men, she MUST be a lesbian! / she's a lesbian, she MUST hate men!" 8-|
Sigh...actually, it might not be that she hates me in a misandrist way. Most lesbians don't hate men, we're just exasperated with them. Honestly, most men tend to act as if they have a proprietorial stake in everything, and it's that proprietorial and privileged attitude that makes most lesbians not exactly hate men, but be rather hostile towards them.

Actually, that attitude from men that they somehow own everything in sight irritates all women, but straight women have to put up with it and adjust. Lesbians don't have any reason to put up with men's nonsense, so they (we) tend to just put out this hostility towards men until we find men who aren't like that and we can tolerate.

Unlike gay men and straight women, there's no real solidarity between lesbians and straight men.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Artemisia wrote:Sigh...actually, it might not be that she hates me in a misandrist way.
Self-burn for the win! :))
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Nev

Post by Nev »

I don't know, Art. I feel like the things you're describing are more specific to you as a person than they are to lesbians as a crowd. Or perhaps most lesbians in your experience share those views. In mine, however, it's really not the case for the majority.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

:p Don...that was a typo.

And Nev, that's my experience and something I've talked to a lot of the lesbians in my immediate sphere. It's why I tend to be hedgey about it being universal. Most of it comes from my discussions about how to deal with men since I don't deal with men very well.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

sukebe senpai wrote:Wait, so Ruby came into foray wearing a mini skirt straight out of Otaku Fantasy Land (Sailor Moon anyone?), gave Dilllon a gratuitous panty shot, and then she started all this prudish stuff, with all this negativity towards men and the nightgown that even a 90-year-old grandma would refuse to wear. And she's not a lesbian. It all makes great sense.
I've come to the conclusion that Ruby's miniskirt has the same explanation as the school uniforms (incorporating miniskirts) in the supernatural comics; manga-influenced art convention. It doesn't mean anything.

Though in fact, if all schools in Giz-created universes now have uniforms for girls incorporating miniskirts, Ruby may dress like that as a sign of immature emotional development. She's still in pre-pubescent schoolgirl mode. It's not sexual, it's the opposite.
JoybuzzerX wrote:But it'd be a far more interresting reason for her attitude (or even her being jealous of her sister) than her trying to keep her orientation secret.
But "She's prudish" doesn't really explain anything. It's just a description of the thing that needs to be explained.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Stonefoot

Post by Stonefoot »

OK, a possible theory about Ruby's short skirts: They're a trap (no, not that kind of trap, have you been spending all your time on TVTropes?). She's setting guys up to say things about her (very sexy) legs which she will take (or misinterpret, as needed) as being sexist and abusive. She can then judge them as 'total horndogs' who don't deserve consideration as actual human beings and push them away. Then they're gone and she's 'safe' and all can return to 'normal'.
A child of 5 could understand this. Fetch me a child of 5.
If you can get to 50 without growing up, you don't have to.
There are very few personal problems which can't be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

There may well be a bit of that involved, though obviously not on any sort of conscious level.
Last edited by Spidrift on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I actually still think she's sexy in that nightgown...

Stonefoot

Post by Stonefoot »

I have to agree with that. 'Sexy' is all in the mind after all, and the nightgown naturally leads to 'what's under that' thoughts....
There are very few personal problems which can't be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

However, it's not something that's ever likely to be worn by someone who's setting out to look "sexy", unless they were playing to a specific, known audience. Whereas the miniskirt inescapably says "Hello world, these are my legs".
---------
Spidrift

Stonefoot

Post by Stonefoot »

But what's sexier than "sexy even though she's not trying to be"?