17-05-13 Turn around

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

Re: 17-05-13 Turn around

Post by Spidrift »

He was interrupted in strip #1 of Ma3. I can't find any other cases on a very quick skim of his keyword page, though there have been a few occasions when his attempts to get close to Gary while under-dressed have been interrupted. Coitus interruptus is more Matt's speciality.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Hogan

Post by Hogan »

And yet as we think the writers have played their full hand, they throw yet another curveball and win the internet! :p
... especially with the expressions :D

Double Unplanned Team-Tagged Interruption!

Shaows

Post by Shaows »

I like to think that Ruby and Amber suddenly decided to switch to cheerleading just to cheer Dillon and Jerzy on.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, let's admit it, until now, that first date was going a little TOO well. ;)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Shaows wrote:I like to think that Ruby and Amber suddenly decided to switch to cheerleading just to cheer Dillon and Jerzy on.
Amber's cheerleading days are far behind her. Ruby's took place in an alternate history so remote that you have to stop in the Aztec global empire for directions, refuel in the land of fairytales, and make the last jump from the sapient dinosaur timeline.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

And the boys have an impromptu cheering section. Go sex!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Anyway, pointless predictions for Monday.

Ruby does appear to be quite bright, really, and the smart thing for her to do at this point is to leave the room as quickly as possible, leaving footprints on Amber if necessary. After all, there's really nothing that she could say at this point that would make the situation better, even if she was feeling calm and collected. Well, a parting scream of "Sorry!" might be considered appropriate - but basically, she needs to leave this to Amber just now, so Amber can explain. Amber knows at least one of these people, can say what Ruby was doing in the room, and isn't likely to be as disconcerted by the sight of naked copulating men as is Ruby.

Therefore, my guess is that Ruby will stick around, and not try to explain. Ruby is in a difficult situation here, and I'm afraid that she seems to be someone who thinks that the best form of defence, emotionally speaking, is attack. She may even go off into some kind of incoherent homophobic rant, just to make things really difficult for Amber.

If I'm right there, I fear that the guys' first date is about to crash and burn in a legendary fashion. Given his drama-queen tendencies, this in turn may leave Dillon refusing even to speak to Ruby for days. Her best hope may be that she doesn't say so much that's unfortunate that she can't strike up a conversation with Jerzy at some point down the line; he's a relatively neutral party who seems sane enough to understand a bit about Ruby's situation.
---------
Spidrift

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Spi, I think your prediction is going to be dead on. I think Ruby will go off on the guys next comic, ruining their date spectacularly, thereby incurring Dillon's wrath and becoming his nemesis. Like I've said before, I think part of the purpose of bringing Ruby in is for her to be an antagonist of sorts to both Dillon and Amber. She's got a strong grudge against Amber for several reasons, and hates her lifestyle. Plus, she's now come face-to-face with the "worst" aspects of that lifestyle in stumbling into Dillon's date.

Smart play would be for her to make a hasty retreat and apologize in the morning, but she's not that kinda gal, plus where would the comedy and drama be in that? No, I too think she's about to go off on all of them (convenient that they're all in the room eh?) thus ratcheting up the tension and leaving bad feelings all around for months of comics to come. I expect there to be ongoing conflict between Ruby and Dillon, as well as with Amber, for a good long while after this. I wouldn't even be surprised if Amber's friendship with Dillon took a turn for the worse over this, like right after the first time Dillon demands she put the pesky little sister on the next bus home.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I can see Ruby inducing some friction between Dillon and Amber, but I suspect that Dillon is too mercurial for it to ever last very long. It'll probably actually help if Amber is feeling as guilty about the pig's ear she made of things with Ruby as she should be; Dillon is likely to be a sucker for a sad story from a friend, and Amber will look better if she's wailing on about what a mess she's made than if she simply says "No".

Any short-term bust-ups may of course leave one of them running over to the other apartment for a sympathetic ear and a guest appearance in Ma3 #750.
---------
Spidrift

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Spidrift wrote:I can see Ruby inducing some friction between Dillon and Amber...
Right now, I'm more concerned about the "friction" between Dillon and Jerzy. ;)

Odd Man Out

Post by Odd Man Out »

I don't think long term antagonism is in the cards for the characters here. They're just not wired for it. Besides, Giz seems to prefer complications that make characters their own worst enemies over actual enemies. Dillion trying to help is in many ways much more problematic for Ruby and Amber than him asserting his name on the lease. Kicking her out or bullying her would just be too out of character and nip what seems to be the comic's premise in the bud.
Ravenhull wrote:
Odd Man Out wrote:No one in this universe locks doors, ever. Bankrobbers must have it freaking made.
Well, this is Canada... Besides, most people don't bother locking their bedroom door...
If you have a roommate you aren't in a sexual relationship with then I have a hard time picturing a line of thought where locking the door during sex isn't sensible. Like not leaving your playlist on random during the act (Go Go Power Rangers!).
Fluffy wrote:
Odd Man Out wrote:No one in this universe locks doors, ever. Bankrobbers must have it freaking made.
Why would Ruby or Dillon lock the door? Neither would have had any reason to (Ruby has nothing to hide from her sister, and Amber would have respected Dillon's privacy if she knew he was home and entertaining a guest).
I may be strange here, but if I have a platonic roommate and plan to have sex in our apartment, well, locking the door just seems both polite and sensible. Because it avoids crap like someone walking in on you during the act because they don't realize you're home and/or in the arms of your lover. Assume Ruby hadn't been hidden in the closet and Amber hadn't spotted her in the bathroom or whatever, Dillion and Jerzy would still have been needlessly interrupted. It's less 'hiding something' more 'preventing interruptions'.

Leaving aside that, I said 'no one' not just 'Amber and Dillion'. Matt seemingly doesn't bother locking his front door during a secret homosexual liaison or during a go with a Brazilian transsexual model.

captainswift

Post by captainswift »

And yet, Odd Man Out, I have a hard time believing Go Go Power Rangers isn't actually the absolutely most perfect song to go along with the act.

RoninAngel

Post by RoninAngel »

The second and third panal of Jerzy's reactions are so sexy. :ymblushing:
"LIFE is dangerous, Sandi! EMBRACE LIFE!"
Faith Abbot, to Sandi on Magic Chicks.

Odd Man Out

Post by Odd Man Out »

captainswift wrote:And yet, Odd Man Out, I have a hard time believing Go Go Power Rangers isn't actually the absolutely most perfect song to go along with the act.
Maybe, although the Mario themes might suit Jerzy and Dillion's little romp better.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Like this? :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)