RadBaron
23%

Total votes: 13

Bear
BANNED

Mad March Nom-Off! 2010: Vote Now!

Post by Bear »

Its voting time! You have 2 days! Get on with it :P

And now appearing, suddenly and without warning...

Its the Mad March Nom-Off 2010!

For those that remember from last year, and for those that don't, the March contest is.... A cook-off! Thats right, its a culinary contest to show off your kitchen skills. How to enter? It so simple even Frankie could do it...

All you need to do is make your favourite recipie, be it snack, desert, main meal... whatever!; take a picture of the finished result, and post it with the recipie and step by step instructions on how to make it. Please use the following format :

Recipie Name
[ Image ]
Ingredients:

Instructions:

You can make absolutely anything you want, but it has to be you thats cooked it, so to proove it, include yourself in the picture!

You have until the 26th to get your enteries in, after which, voting will start and the usual prize of the shiney colour and ranking will be awarded.

Also as usual, keep this thread for enteries only and the discussion to the contest discussion thread!

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Re: Mad March Nom-Off! 2010: Entry Thread.

Post by GothPoet »

Hearty Ranch and Bacon Potato Soup

Ingredients

* 6 slices smoked bacon
* 1 onion, diced
* 1 stalk celery, diced
* 1 (32 ounce) carton low-sodium chicken broth
* 10 potatoes, peeled and cubed
* 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
* 1 (1 ounce) package ranch dressing mix
* 2 cups half-and-half cream
* 1 cup sour cream
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
* 1/4 cup chopped green onion

Directions

1. Place the bacon in a large Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate, crumble and reserve for topping.
2. Cook and stir the onions and celery in the bacon drippings until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Add chicken broth and potatoes, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender. Remove from heat and mash about 1/3 of the potatoes.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour and dry ranch mix. Whisk in the half-and-half and sour cream, beating well to combine thoroughly. Slowly whisk the sour cream mixture into the soup. Gently heat soup over medium heat to warm, do not boil. Season the soup with salt and pepper. To serve, top each bowl of soup with a sprinkle of bacon crumbles, Cheddar cheese and green onion.
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Steak 'n Egg Sammich

Ingredients
3 Slices of Roast Beef Lunchmeat
1 Slice of Horseradish Cheddar Cheese
2 Slices of Sourdough Bread
1 Egg
4 Strips of Bacon
¼ Cup of Diced Green Onion
¼ Cup of Diced Tomato
Black Pepper to flavor

Utensils
Frying Pan, Spatula, Cutting Board, Knife

Instructions
Cook Bacon (or use pre-cooked bacon... it works just as well in my experience). Dice up green onion and tomato, mix together in small bowl. Crack egg and cook sunny side up (for now). When egg is mostly done, add roast beef and top with diced green onion, tomato, and bacon - then turn egg over and flip atop the onion and tomato. Add black pepper to flavor, before adding slice of horseradish cheddar. Cook over medium low heat until roast beef looks mostly cooked, then place atop sourdough bread. Cut in half, and enjoy!
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Thüringer Bauernfrühstück - Thuringian Farmer's Breakfast for an Army.

Welcome again to Don's Cooking for an Army!!

Today, we (myself and my helpful assistant Andrea) present a pictorial on how to make a traditional regional dish, the Bauernfrühstück. I had originally planned something highly awesome for this, but will make a post in the picture thread explaining why the awesome did not happen. :(

Anyway!!

Ingredients:

- About 1.5 kg of potatoes.
- 3 big onions
- about 500 g of bacon
- 16 eggs
- 400 g of butter cheese
- a bit of ham (had to be used up)
- some olive oil (or sunflower seed oil or so) for cooking

The Production Line:

Peel potatoes...
...and slice them (try to do it like Andrea, thin, and not as thick as me... L-) )
Slice the onions, and dice the bacon!!
Fire up some frying pans, and start with the onions...
Scramble the eggs and add the cheese, which has also been cut to little slices:
Then add the bacon and ham to the onions, and a bit later the potatoes:
When the potatoes+bacon+onions have finished frying, put them in a really big oven pan...
When everything has been fried, pour in the eggs and cheese! Mix well!!!
And into the oven it goes, for at least 30 minutes, we cooked it at 160° C to prevent it from burning:
YUMMY GOODNESS!!!!

It fed three hungry people (me, Andrea, and our boss). And our Spanish PhD sampled it later too and thought it was delicious. :D

We rounded it off with pistacio and vanilla ice cream!! =p~

I had thought of adding caraway to the fried potatoes, as I like that, but was not sure what other would think of it.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

and now.
A traditional Transilvanian meal.
For appetizers, we have zsiros kenyer. Take bread, add lard, add lots of salt and onion(I used green and red onion, its best with red, but you can use any type of onion). This falls under the Hungarian tradition. Fairly sure bread and lard are common war-time-food, but over here they're common in Hungarian parts of Romania.
For soup, we have Bab Gulyas. Hungarian recipe.
Ingredients: 300g pork and one Ham hock, 2 carrots, parsley, celery, onions, 4 peeled tomatoes, striped beans, chilli peppers.
First you temped the diced onions, then the diced meat and whatever you can peel off the ham hock. After that, add the chopped carrots, chopped celery and parsley roots. Leave for a while, then add the condiments( I used specially made gulyas cream, plus chilli, plus hot paprika, plus pepper and salt). After that add water and the beans, rest of the parsley and peppers. leave until the beans are fully cooked.

Main course, Ghiveci de legume. Romanian recipe.
ingredients: one eggplant, 3 onions and 2 leeks, 2 red bell peppers, 3 bell peppers, parsley, 8 potatoes, 2 spoons of rice, 2 long sausages, 3 tomatoes and 4 carrots. (not that mine in the end used about half of what I say here, will explain below).
In two separate bowls, temper the onions and leeks, and the bell peppers(all 5 of them, diced). Then put the bell peppers on the onions, and add one cup of water and salt. Add the carrots and parsley, sliced. Then, the sliced carrots. then the diced eggplant. Aftweards, add the sliced tomatoes, the rice and the sliced sausage and add just enough water to cover the ingredients. Then leave for about 40 minutes. Leave a while between each layer you add, by the way.

For desert I bought some kurtosKolacs, as I am not good at baking :P.

And thus you have a Transilvanian meal, comining traditional Hungarian food and Romanian food. Keep in midn that the recipes used here make enough food for an army. I actually had trouble with the ghiveci as my bowl was not big enough. I had to take out half the ingredients mid-cooking and keep them for later use. Otherwise it would have looked better:P. Not only that, but we never even GOT to the main course, as the gulyas was more than satisfying.
Two of us finished our plate, one girl could only eat about half, and we were both ridiculously full afterwards.

Also a special note regarding Hungarian food. It is Spicy. Traditionally it is spicy enough to burn you eveyr time you bite, but I didnt make it that hot. Still, if your nose is not running at least a bit after eating Gulyas, it is not gulyas:P. Particular to Hungarian food is that the spice is not HOT as it is constant:P. Which is why it is more common for your nose to run than for your throat to burn.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

BACON SNACKS

I knew that would get your attention!!!

The Main ingredient

The other ingredients!

Your chef for today

Use as much bread and Cheez Whiz as you desire. Rule of thumb for bacon is 3 full slices for 2 slices of bread.

Fry up bacon until it's about 3/4 done........

Then paper-towel drain away the excess fat. ( I save the original fat to make suet feeders for birds)

Arrange on cookie sheet, pizza pan, etc. I used parchment paper. It absorbs the oils, is environmentally friendly, and nothing sticks to it.

Broil for 4-5 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven.

Slice into strips or cubes.

OM NOM NOM NOM!!!

If you wish, the frying can be skipped, just cook in a 450 oven for about 10 minutes, keep an eye for burning.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast