Lillian's view on sexuality

Discuss GGAR here!

Moderators: Antares, Chloé C.

Drunk Sandvich

Re: Lillian's view on sexuality

Post by Drunk Sandvich »

I don't really have much of a concern about Lillian's sexuality so much as I have an interest in learning why it is that Roomie is so explicitly sexual with nearly everyone she knows. Lillian and Roomie are such polar opposites, as said before, but not necessarily because Roomie is "active" and Lillian is "lethargic;" but more that Roomie's emotional connectivity is expressed, primarily, through her sexuality while Lillian expresses her emotional connectivity through an emotional possessiveness (her relationship with Alan is a strong indicator, and her growing acceptance of Roomie is a marker of the two having a rather deep friendship, one that may not be as possessive because Lillian is no longer nearly as isolated from the world as she was when it was only her and Alan). Roomie's relations with people were, until she met Lillian, shown to be more superficial, as you can kinda see with certain folks who approached her about other developments in their relationship. I'm inclined to think that most of them are more like acquaintances than friends. Roomie's promiscuity surely confused others regarding their relationship. Were they lovers or just friends? Given that it wasn't until recently that Roomie has been seen hanging out with anyone, it's somewhat debatable whether she was close to anyone from the bar at all beforehand.

Lillian, on the other hand, almost exclusively takes friendship to a depth that sort of exposes the mask Roomie has that makes sure she can deflect people from getting too close to her. Most of Roomie's sexual suggestions and comments come off, when I think about it, as compliments that Lillian probably deciphers through the literal context. Given that Lillian seems to be very interested in psychology, it may be that she has a filter, of sorts, for Roomie's chatter that, while registering the puns, also probably interprets what she more likely is expressing. Notice that Lillian's only genuinely surprised by Roomie's compliments (as evidenced by the immediately and abundantly obvious blushing) when Roomie doesn't throw any of her sexuality into it. In a sense, she's naked in those moments, and that is what Lillian is "attracted to" the most. If Lillian is not asexual or repressed, it's more likely, to me, that she's more interested in a person's personality than their body.

I realize I could have taken this way down a path that doesn't exist.

Chloé C.

Post by Chloé C. »

I like it :)

GypsyLyric

Post by GypsyLyric »

I never thought about it like that. When you put it that way, it makes me wonder if perhaps Roomie was quite new to the area, and just sort of integrated. It makes some sense, considering the fact that it's been mentioned a few times that Roomie jumps from place to place. Now my mind is wondering about the other places she's been to.
Rawr means I love you in Zombie.

Drunk Sandvich

Post by Drunk Sandvich »

GypsyLyric wrote:I never thought about it like that. When you put it that way, it makes me wonder if perhaps Roomie was quite new to the area, and just sort of integrated. It makes some sense, considering the fact that it's been mentioned a few times that Roomie jumps from place to place. Now my mind is wondering about the other places she's been to.

I would say this depends entirely on the circumstances leading up to the comic's beginnings. There could be a thousand different things that shape Roomie into the being she is and my perspective is more a hunch based on observation than anything. Sure, the tone of the comic went from somewhat independent events to a cohesive and very interrelated series of events; but Chloé has shown just enough of a tendency to say with some relative certainty that Roomie's past may lead to some disturbing recollections that formed coping mechanisms. Lillian herself may already be observing these tendencies and mentally marking them. If Roomie is, indeed, previously homeless in some capacity (I consider couch surfing a more convenient form of homelessness) then she could have jumped place to place from as short a distance as across town to as far as the other side of the nation. With details such as that left in the dark as of yet, it is only conjecture to say much else than what I stated previously about what has influenced Roomie.

Lillian's complete lack of judgment of Roomie's character, even in the beginning when the two met and Lillian privately found her bewildering and somewhat insufferable, shows a kind of thinking that is very abstract and very much out of step with conventional social values. Lillian's quick to adjust to new input and is very open and honest with others in her words and deeds. Roomie's deeds are probably making her words more understandable, in the way I mentioned in my previous post. Of course, the twins seem to be having a growing influence as well on both Roomie and Lillian. With Roomie's dominant presence at least temporarily leaving, it shall be interesting to see what new dimensions of Lillian we shall be shown (if Chloé chooses to go that route). Considering that the twins have come to represent the entirety of the sadomasochism trait rather well, it would be especially pertinent to this topic to see how Lillian deals with attraction from either Ramona or Richard (again, if this comes up at all). It's conceivable that she'd go for/with either one, but can you really see her going for/with either one of them on their terms? I most certainly cannot. Lillian's generally healthy perspective on life, aside from her vice for sleeping, is rather a wrench in the twins' lifestyles.

Chloé, I am tickled that you seemed to have enjoyed that previous post as much as you did. Unless I'm mistaken. Then, my bad.

GypsyLyric

Post by GypsyLyric »

*claps enthusiastically* Brilliant!
Rawr means I love you in Zombie.