11-09-02 [DE] Meet Jill 2

The Dracula mythos reborn! When Nicholas Harker learns he is the sole heir to a vast estate from a mysterious ancestor he never knew he had, his life will never be average again. (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

11-09-02 [DE] Meet Jill 2

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Lord Styphon

Re: 11-09-02 [DE] Meet Jill 2

Post by Lord Styphon »

That girl ain't right.

Christina Weir

Post by Christina Weir »

Lord Styphon wrote:Image
That girl ain't right.
How so?

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

As it is, she's imposing herself on him, and was the third person to do so in rapid succession. Nicholas is sitting alone in a cemetery, minding his own business, when this girl comes out of nowhere and tries to start up a conversation. When he doesn't go along, she sits herself down and continues on. It might just be me, but if I'm sitting by myself in a cemetery and my fate is being decided elsewhere without my input, I don't want some girl I've never met bursting into my solitude uninvited and telling me how her dad died when she was six. That's really inconsiderate and, to be honest, kind of creepy.

Characters who do this, imposing themselves and their good cheer on loners and dragging them out of their shell, are hardly unknown in fiction and can get away with being inconsiderate like that. This is a problem in Jill's case, though, because her expression is far from cheery. Her character blurb also says she's shy and very introverted. This means that first, she's not the kind of character who can get away with being inconsiderate like she's doing; and second, that acting this way isn't comfortable for her.

So, all in all, not right.

MonCappy

Post by MonCappy »

Authorial fiat? I would consider her introduction is somewhat clumsily done. It's also possible she was pushed into making introductions with Nicholas and is just winging it out of a sense of nervousness.
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy but socially dead.
http://moncappys.minitroopers.com

Nunzio DeFilippis

Post by Nunzio DeFilippis »

She was sort of pushed into it, as you'll see.

But I'm not sure there's anything 'wrong' with starting up a conversation with someone who seems reticent to talk, if that someone also seems lonely and depressed. Depressed people have a tendency to do the exact opposite of what's best for them - such as staying silent when what they really want is someone to talk to.

As you'll see with Nicholas, his own social awkwardness causes his loneliness, which causes his awkwardness. It's a vicious circle for him, and trying to push through that - especially when he hasn't actually said "hey I'd like to be left alone", all he's done is stay quiet - may be awkward (it was intended as such), but it's not inherently wrong or a sign that she's screwed up.

At least, that was our thinking when we wrote it.

MonCappy

Post by MonCappy »

It's more the subject matter that's a bit awkward than anything else. I don't see someone mentioning the death of a parent as a conversation starter with a total stranger. If they knew of each other beforehand, it would make more sense that she would divulge something so painful about her past.
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy but socially dead.

Nunzio DeFilippis

Post by Nunzio DeFilippis »

Hey, we never said Jill was any GOOD at it! :)

MonCappy

Post by MonCappy »

True. Her best bet is to sit there looking cute and hope Nicholas asks her why she's there.