11-08-24 [DE] Miranda Hawthorne

The Dracula mythos reborn! When Nicholas Harker learns he is the sole heir to a vast estate from a mysterious ancestor he never knew he had, his life will never be average again. (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

11-08-24 [DE] Miranda Hawthorne

Post by Adam_Arnold »

MonCappy

Re: 11-08-24 [DE] Miranda Hawthorne

Post by MonCappy »

So emancipation I take it? Just how loaded was his family?
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy but socially dead.
http://moncappys.minitroopers.com

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

"Barrister".

I'm fairly certain that, since the United States doesn't have a split legal profession, an American attorney wouldn't use the title barrister.

I'm also fairly certain that, if the United States did have a split legal profession, the sort of legal work Ms. Hawthorne is doing would be done by a solicitor, not a barrister.

Clearly this woman is a fraud, attempting to bamboozle the idiot state employee.

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Her description on the cast page:
MIRANDA HAWTHORNE

A British barrister. She's Jill's mother and is Nicholas's lawyer, once he inherits the estate. She is elegent, well put together and a very take charge woman.
My guess is that since the original Dracula story took place in London, and given that he appears to have been decended from the Harker's of the story, he's either about to make a trip overseas or at least will have access to a British based fortune. And while she probably doesn't have full lawyer's privalges in the U.S., she could easily have retained a Massachusetts lawyer to do the paperwork while acting as a coordinating factor.
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Being an English lawyer, she could indeed hold the title barrister.

If she is a barrister, though, the job she's doing is one a solicitor would do, not a barrister, and she's probably counting on the Commonwealth's well-meaning little stooge not knowing the difference.

Christina Weir

Post by Christina Weir »

Lord Styphon wrote:Being an English lawyer, she could indeed hold the title barrister.

If she is a barrister, though, the job she's doing is one a solicitor would do, not a barrister, and she's probably counting on the Commonwealth's well-meaning little stooge not knowing the difference.
In cases of particularly high monetary value, legal proceedings in Britain are handled in High Court. In such cases, a barrister is used.

However, in all honesty, if there's a problem with her using the title barrister, then the fault is ours, not hers. We could very easily have misread the research we did.

Miranda is legally in charge of an estate worth billions of dollars. Right now, that task involves dealing with the legal standing of the heir to that estate - this will be explained in the coming pages.

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Christina Weir wrote:In cases of particularly high monetary value, legal proceedings in Britain are handled in High Court. In such cases, a barrister is used.

However, in all honesty, if there's a problem with her using the title barrister, then the fault is ours, not hers. We could very easily have misread the research we did.

Miranda is legally in charge of an estate worth billions of dollars. Right now, that task involves dealing with the legal standing of the heir to that estate - this will be explained in the coming pages.
Aww, but I want to accuse the lawyer of being a lying, scheming bloodsucker. :(

I admit I'm not the expert on the British legal system as my posts might suggest. However, from what I've picked up and retained over the years, and checked on when I saw the word barrister, a barrister is specifically a courtroom advocate. A solicitor would handle drawing up the legal documents and perparing the case, like we're seeing her do here. For the parts of the case being argued in the High Court, she would also be responsible for retaining the services of the barrister who would be doing the actual courtroom arguing.

Nunzio DeFilippis

Post by Nunzio DeFilippis »

Lord Styphon wrote:
Christina Weir wrote:In cases of particularly high monetary value, legal proceedings in Britain are handled in High Court. In such cases, a barrister is used.

Aww, but I want to accuse the lawyer of being a lying, scheming bloodsucker. :(

I admit I'm not the expert on the British legal system as my posts might suggest. However, from what I've picked up and retained over the years, and checked on when I saw the word barrister, a barrister is specifically a courtroom advocate. A solicitor would handle drawing up the legal documents and perparing the case, like we're seeing her do here. For the parts of the case being argued in the High Court, she would also be responsible for retaining the services of the barrister who would be doing the actual courtroom arguing.
Then the fault would lie with us, not Miranda. Sorry to ruin a chance to accuse a lawyer! :)

Our research indicated that a barrister would be required for the bigger financial matters, but if that would be handled by a solicitor, assume that is what she called herself.

We promise - Miranda is a complex character, but she's not lying about this point.

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

I'll get you next time, [strike]Gadget[/strike] legal profession! Next time!