Let's talk about music!

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

User avatar
LadySheDevil
Tittycakes
Posts: 2875
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:15 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by LadySheDevil » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:42 pm

*thwacks Don* Rub it in, wouldja?

We could totally go see :x Sonata Arctica :x this September, but that would mean suffering through Dragonforce... Ech.

I may have to beg nicely to go see Flogging Molly in October though! :x
Vanishing Elder of the Noms; She who Plays With Madness; One Among the Fence; Tittycake Mistress.

~* \m/ Music is Love. \:D/ *~ ~* :-B Gaming too! :-B *~

Winner: Wet T-Shirt Contest, Ladies Division June '10

User avatar
Marv
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:37 am
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by Marv » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Ew, Dragonforce. They still do stuff live? Blech. When are they going to realize their fanbase is a bunch of Guitar Hero wannabe-posers? Also, that they can't play for shit outside a studio.

User avatar
Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Posts: 27852
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:26 am
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by Don Alexander » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:17 pm

It's true I can't comment on their live qualities.

but I have never, ever played Guitar Hero, and I think the band is pretty awesome. But then, my metal career started with bands Dragonforce are strongly inspired by, so that might be a reason. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

MarkMoriquendi

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by MarkMoriquendi » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:18 am

Hansi Kursch was on an Ayreon Album too -- 01011001

User avatar
Erebus
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by Erebus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:21 am

Don Alexander wrote:It's true I can't comment on their live qualities.

but I have never, ever played Guitar Hero, and I think the band is pretty awesome. But then, my metal career started with bands Dragonforce are strongly inspired by, so that might be a reason. :P

You think Dragonforce is... awesome? I am not sure what to say...

But of course, that is your opinion. I do not like them... at all. They probably suck live too. There is no way they can play that stuff live.

MarkMoriquendi

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by MarkMoriquendi » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:23 am

um. they do. i don't like em, but they are good live

User avatar
Erebus
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by Erebus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:26 am

And how is that even possible? Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like they wouldn't be able to pull off the same "noises" they use. A lot of that stuff sounds like it was made in the studio. I could be horribly wrong, though... which tends to happen because it's me. I would have to look up some live stuff of theirs.

User avatar
JTHomeslice
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:31 am

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by JTHomeslice » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:30 am

To break up this discussion real quick,

This has to be fake. Look at their Myspace top friends. While I hate their music, I have to give them credit for creating their own sound, even if it does blow anus.

User avatar
Erebus
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by Erebus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:34 am

What...the...fuck...

That is probably the most retarded thing I have ever seen...

It almost seems like it isn't even real.

User avatar
Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Posts: 27852
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:26 am
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by Don Alexander » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:15 am

Unpatriotic views? /:)

Hehe, looks like a very viral ad campaign...

Yeah, the music is total rubbish...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

User avatar
Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil
Posts: 5901
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 2:14 am
Location: Tampa, Florida, United States of America

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by Dirty n Evil » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:38 am

Just a little comment about the Dragonforce discussion (I think I actually mentioned this once months ago, but it's relevant so I'll repeat). I know this guy Ben, I've known him in passing for several years and he's a pretty good friend of my best pal Zeus. Ben actually saw Dragonforce live in concert not that long back... and said that while the entire time they're being very deliberately cheesy, they actually put on a very good live show. They threw quite a bit of energy into it, and did their best to impress the audience. So much so that when the "headline" act came on (Disturbed), it felt like Disturbed didn't compare. As far as a stage show, Dragonforce just put more effort into it.

On a side note, let's try not and be critical in the "they suck why would anyone listen to them their music is crap" fashion. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, please be respectful of others on the forum. If you can give an eloquent reason why a band isn't to your liking such as "there isn't as much variety in the sound of their songs as I appreciate, and I'm more partial to the actual sound of a drum over a drum machine"... that's fine, if you feel the need to criticize. I mean, there are plenty of bands and artists I don't care for - but they're the professional musicians. We're just the posters on this forum. Let's try to be nice to one another here on the boards, all right?

:)
Image
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

MarkMoriquendi

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by MarkMoriquendi » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:40 am

JTHomeslice wrote:To break up this discussion real quick,

This has to be fake. Look at their Myspace top friends. While I hate their music, I have to give them credit for creating their own sound, even if it does blow anus.
I am now very unpatriotic (altho I am staunchly British), but this makes me wanna hurry up my cover versions of Patty Smith's "Rock N Roll N****r" and Blood For Blood's "White Trash Anthem"

Maybe then, I can get an Anti-Mark Moriquendi webshite made about me!

User avatar
Erebus
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by Erebus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:36 pm

Dirty n Evil wrote:Just a little comment about the Dragonforce discussion (I think I actually mentioned this once months ago, but it's relevant so I'll repeat). I know this guy Ben, I've known him in passing for several years and he's a pretty good friend of my best pal Zeus. Ben actually saw Dragonforce live in concert not that long back... and said that while the entire time they're being very deliberately cheesy, they actually put on a very good live show. They threw quite a bit of energy into it, and did their best to impress the audience. So much so that when the "headline" act came on (Disturbed), it felt like Disturbed didn't compare. As far as a stage show, Dragonforce just put more effort into it.

On a side note, let's try not and be critical in the "they suck why would anyone listen to them their music is crap" fashion. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, please be respectful of others on the forum. If you can give an eloquent reason why a band isn't to your liking such as "there isn't as much variety in the sound of their songs as I appreciate, and I'm more partial to the actual sound of a drum over a drum machine"... that's fine, if you feel the need to criticize. I mean, there are plenty of bands and artists I don't care for - but they're the professional musicians. We're just the posters on this forum. Let's try to be nice to one another here on the boards, all right?

:)
I didn't mean to start anything. Like I said, I could be horribly wrong. Looks like I was too. lol

I can never say that they would never be good live because I have never seen them. Also, I have always wanted to see Disturbed live... but there would probably be too many people moshing... not a big fan of that.

MarkMoriquendi

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by MarkMoriquendi » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:27 pm

my bro just sent me an MMS of him playing the lead part to The Secret Of Monkey Island theme
so I told him we gotta do a version -- he can play lead, i'll play bass and program the drum bits

i even said we should do a Monkey Island tribute -- and i suggested the name "The Largo Embargo" hehe

User avatar
ExplodingJoe
Hair-Triggered
Posts: 999
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by ExplodingJoe » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:46 pm

I don't understand people who take Metal so seriously that they get aggressively motivated toward bands in what not. I mean, we're talking about a genre that was made famous by bands who never took themselves seriously. I feel like Metal has gotten away from me... or maybe I've gotten away from it.

Take me back to the days when Cannibal Corpse could spit out an awesome riff then regale us of the proper way to apply a hammer to a face, knowing all along that they never took it seriously.

I think Dragonforce serves a very good roll in drawing younger fans who will be tomorrows metalheads. If they decide to be overly cheesey and camp, I'm all for it. After all, half of why I love sitting around singing along to Amon Amarth is for the pure, unbridled rediculous awesomeness of Vikings kicking the shit out of Demons. (which will always be infinitely cooler then pirates/ninjas.)
"If you aren't gonna say exactly how and what you feel, you might as well not say anything at all." ~ Johnny Cash
"Remember, a dead fish can float downstream, but it takes a live one to swim upstream." ~ W. C. Fields

Post Reply