Let's talk about music!

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

ExplodingJoe
Hair-Triggered

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by ExplodingJoe »

cut me some slack, I'm studying calculus while trying to type XD
"If you aren't gonna say exactly how and what you feel, you might as well not say anything at all." ~ Johnny Cash
"Remember, a dead fish can float downstream, but it takes a live one to swim upstream." ~ W. C. Fields

Erebus

Post by Erebus »

BAH! I hate all the Annette haters. I don't know why. I mean, everyone does have an opinion, but it bothers me. Oh well. I do think Amy Lee is definitely better than Annette though. I think it is good that they never chose another Tarja. Either way, people are going to bitch and whine anyway. "It's not the same!" Yeah, well get over it because it's not supposed to be the same. Let's see you do better (this isn't directed to anyone here, I am just referring to some things I have heard).

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Of course, it is patently true that bands (at least the ones that count, not talking about platic pop clone things here) make their music mostly for themselves. If they judge a change in style is what they want, then they can do that, and basically don't have to give account to the fans...

Still, I think Nightwish went from something quite unique (oft copied, never reached) to something much more generic with the new singer. And that saddened me. Though I do have the new album and definitely plan to follow them up further. I'm not saying they've gone bad, after all. ;)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Ashahalasin

Post by Ashahalasin »

Piping in, that I was never a huge Nightwish fan. But I cannot stand the new girl, awful, just terrible. Soon as I heard her voice changed to a different CD. DNW.

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

not really, it's Tuomas that keeps the LADIES INTERESTED in Nightwish.
If he ever left, they'd lose most of their teeny female fanbase
ESPECIALLY now he's rockin the Goth Pirate look

anyways, I don't have a problem with Evanescence. I just don't like Annette. It's down to the whole "Tarja's voice is what defined Nightwish for me, and now it's not there, so they're not Nightwish. End of."

LadySheDevil
Tittycakes

Post by LadySheDevil »

Tuomas is all hawt-smex-Jack-Sparrow-yumminess and all, but I'm the Emppu-Bunny, remember? ;p

But that's not really the point. I'm not going to try to change anyone's minds. I'm just thankful that nobody on here is one of those creepy Tarja-fanatics who started sending death threats to Anette when she was chosen. That's just... Scary. O_o;

On a brighter note, with their new "generic" sound, a lot of people I know have discovered them, and subsequently found their old stuff too. This gives me a happy. I love wandering around work hearing people humming "Nemo". :D
Vanishing Elder of the Noms; She who Plays With Madness; One Among the Fence; Tittycake Mistress.

~* \m/ Music is Love. \:D/ *~ ~* :-B Gaming too! :-B *~

Winner: Wet T-Shirt Contest, Ladies Division June '10

Ashahalasin

Post by Ashahalasin »

Always found Nemo to be boring and generic. I did like their Phantom of the Opera cover though.

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

and Over The Hills And Far Away....

Ashahalasin

Post by Ashahalasin »

That was pretty tops.

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

well I love Gary Moore, so what I can I say :D

ExplodingJoe
Hair-Triggered

Post by ExplodingJoe »

yeah, its tough. I'm nowhere near the raving Nightwish follower other are. But as someone who followed All That Remains since they were just the concept of a little Boston head-man, it will always be painful for devoted fans to watch their band evolve to reach a wider audience and lose a little of what made them sound unique.

I just content myself in knowing that the guy I used to pay 5$ to watch sing for Shadows Fall now has success and women flying at him.
"If you aren't gonna say exactly how and what you feel, you might as well not say anything at all." ~ Johnny Cash
"Remember, a dead fish can float downstream, but it takes a live one to swim upstream." ~ W. C. Fields

Marque'd

Post by Marque'd »

I love Nightwish.

I also wrote a school newspaper article comparing the lead singer to Britney Spears without being tone-deaf, and now have to eat my words. I really like the newest album.

That said, I'm also an Evanescence, Epica, and (slight) within temptation fan. NEW EV ALBUM NEXT YEAR, WHOO.

Also, has anyone heard of "We are the Fallen"? If you're an Ev fan, look them up. They may cause some strange, yet familiar feelings. :ymdevil: Freaking Ben Moody. The new singer is good, but still not Lee...though they're trying. Jon LeCompt is laughable. "WE'RE EQUAL, WE'RE NOT MAKING EVANESCENCE AGAIN!"

Well, your band photos and styling say otherwise. D
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. *stabstabstab*

Yay, signature death.

LadySheDevil
Tittycakes

Post by LadySheDevil »

I decided not to judge Anette until I heard her live. I'm thrilled that I actually got to! (That NEVER would have happened with Tarja. God forbid if she had to play for a crowd of < 5000... [-( )

I like her live. There are some old songs that she should never, ever do (Wishmaster comes to mind... SO not for her), but mostly she does them quite well, I think.

During my shift today, I listened to DPP in its entirety. I can't imagine anyone else singing those songs. Though I think Tarja would sing Eva beautifully.
Vanishing Elder of the Noms; She who Plays With Madness; One Among the Fence; Tittycake Mistress.

~* \m/ Music is Love. \:D/ *~ ~* :-B Gaming too! :-B *~

Winner: Wet T-Shirt Contest, Ladies Division June '10

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I've seen Nightwish live twice at Wacken with Tarja. (yeah, that was more than 5000...) And confess to ignoring them completely when they played with Anette... /:)

Though, if I recall correctly, I went to see "Dream of an Opium Eater" instead, and THAT was a concert I'll never, ever forget!!! :x :x :x
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Erebus

Post by Erebus »

I remember the Nightwish club gig. Good stuff. Can't believe they played "While Your Lips Are Still Red." Annette did a fantastic job of some of the older songs (Nemo comes to mind). Two bands I would love to see live are Maiden and Dream Theater. Especially Dream Theater. Also, I have a question for Don... the 12 Step Suite... what is it? I noticed that some songs like "The Glass Prison," and "Root of All Evil" have been sampled in "The Shattered Fortress." Are all these songs connected story-wise? Because that would be pretty cool. It seems like they are, but I am not too sure. They always seem to be dedicated to a Bill W. Who is that? An author? Wow... so many questions.