Let's talk about music!

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by Don Alexander »

You are on the right path. The Twelve-step Suite describes Mike Portnoy's successful battle against alcoholism. But not even Wikipedia tells us who this Bill W. is. Maybe a guy from AA??

I've seen both Dream Theater and Iron Maiden live, each twice.

Dream Theater was actually my very first metal concert, in Fall of 1993, on a second tour to Images and Words. This was in a little place named Saarburg not to far from Trier, Germany, where I grew up. Opener was Damn the Machine, a project of Chris Poland, ex-Megadeth. Second time I saw them in Trier itself, on the Metropolis Pt. II tour, with Pocupine Tree as support.

Iron Maiden, first time in 1995 or 96, in Cologne, on the X-Factour - yeah, Blaze Bailey... And last year as the "Night To Remember" headliner of the Wacken Open Air, as part of the "Somewhere Back In Time" tour, featuring almost exclusively songs from Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Yeah, it was fucking brilliant. One of the best concerts I've ever seen, and not even the best of that Wacken.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Erebus

Post by Erebus »

First of all, my boss is a huge fan of Maiden and he saw them in Regina last year for their "Somewhere Back In Time" tour. He said it was the single best concert he had seen. Wish I could have went.

Also, the whole thing about the Twelve Step Suite is very interesting. This is what Wikipedia says of Bill W.
Which makes total sense because of what the songs are all about. Thanks for all that imformation.

Anyway, has anyone ever listened to Coheed and Cambria before? I think they are brilliant. They do concept albums all centered around "The Amory Wars". It is a very confusing sci-fi plot.

Marque'd

Post by Marque'd »

I want to see Dreamtheatre and Kamelot live.

I admit not to listening to the former much, but they're too impressive to not want to see live. And I just love Kamelot, though I miss their more fantasy themed stuff. I also want to see Epica and Emilie Autumn, though god forbid the latter play a concert in the country she's from. :-w
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. *stabstabstab*

Yay, signature death.

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

Don Alexander wrote:I've seen Nightwish live twice at Wacken with Tarja. (yeah, that was more than 5000...) And confess to ignoring them completely when they played with Anette... /:)

Though, if I recall correctly, I went to see "Dream of an Opium Eater" instead, and THAT was a concert I'll never, ever forget!!! :x :x :x
confession: i have been to an Ayreon gig. twice! :o ;)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I've checked out the whole Coheed and Cambria discography. And also read the comics (I know of two, the first one is awesome, the second one I liked less...). I'm a bit conflicted about the band, they are good, but not totally my style, and I don't dig the helium vocals a lot...

I've never been able to see Ayreon, alas. I've been in eastern Germany since a decade, and most established foreign band of "softer" metal genres maybe play in Berlin, and that's it. We get lots of Death and Black, though, so that's good. ;)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

well, Ayreon don't do gigs. that's why.
I was at the 01011001 release party :)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, that sure explains it, huh?

Star One did tour, though? After all, there's a live album out...
ImageImage

Erebus

Post by Erebus »

Who is part of Star One? I think Chantelle told me Bruce Dickinson was part of it. That would definitely make me wanna listen to them! :D

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Ath probably knows this one best... But I assure you Dickinson is not part of it. Dickinson sings a song on Ayreon's Universal Migrator II - Flight of the Migrator album.

Star One

Space Metal info
ImageImage

Erebus

Post by Erebus »

Oh ok then... maybe I was getting mixed up. Thanks for the info. Might look into them sometime soon.

Also, wasn't LaBrie in one of Ayreon's songs?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Yes.

He sings one of the roles in the "The Human Equation" concept album. so he shows up in several of those songs.

Btw, I also like Mullmuzzler and love the James LaBrie solo album (have the latter as an actual CD).
ImageImage

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

Erebus wrote:Who is part of Star One? I think Chantelle told me Bruce Dickinson was part of it. That would definitely make me wanna listen to them! :D
Star One consisted of:
Sir Russell Allen (Symphony X) -- Vocals
Damian Wilson (Threshold) -- Vocals
Dan Swano (Nightingale) -- Studio Vocals
Robert Soeterboek (Cottam-Soeterboek Band) -- Live Vocals
Floor Jansen (After Forever) -- Backing Vocals
Irene Jansen (ex-Karma) -- Backing Vocals
Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon) -- Live Guitars, Studio Bass, Keys and Synth, Drum Programming
Joost Van Den Broek (After Forever) -- Live Keys
Peter Vink (Finch) -- Live Bass
Ed Warby (Gorechild) -- Live Drums

Bruce Dickenson sung on the song "Into The Black Hole" on "The Universal Migrator II: Flight Of The Migrator"

And yes, James LaBrie sung the part of "Me" on Ayreon's (best, imho) album "The Human Equation". If you wanna know, this was the cast of THE:

James LaBrie (Dream Theater) as Me
Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) as Fear
Eric Clayton (Saviour Machine) as Reason
Heather Findlay (Mostly Autumn) as Love
Irene Jansen (ex-Karma) as Passion
Magnus Ekwall (The Quill) as Pride
Devon Graves (Dead Soul Tribe) as Agony
Marcela Bovio (Stream of Passion) as Wife
Mike Baker (R.I.P)(Shadow Gallery) as Father
Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon/Stream of Passion/Ambeon/Star One) as Best Friend
Devin Townsend (ex-Strapping Young Lad/ex-The Devin Townsend Band) as Rage
Peter Daltrey (Kaleidoscope) as Forever (uncredited Cameo)

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

Kamelot rules. Oh yes they do.

But my number one dream show currently?

Blind Guardian/Korpiklaani/Ensiferum/Olympos Mons

:D

If you "get it" boy howdy do you GET it.
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Erebus

Post by Erebus »

I should look up that album. I would like to hear James LaBrie on something other than Dream Theater.

Man, I would LOVE to see Blind Guardian live! They sound freaking amazing live!

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Oh, they do, they do...

*thinks back to his three BG shows...*

:D
ImageImage