Let's talk about music!

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dryope

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by Dryope »

Well, I got the new Snow Patrol. I'm somewhat disappointed but...maybe it will grow on me.

The new Rosebuds, however, is fabulous. X3
ImageImage

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Let's see, I got:

Stephen Lynch - The Craig Machine
Stephen Lynch - A Little Bit Special
Tom Lehrer - Songs and More Songs from Tom Lehrer
Fastball - All the Pain Money Can Buy
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Various Artists - Stadium Jams
Various Artists - Party Starter: Funk Mix

I love "Voices in my Head" by Stephen Lynch. So good.

Off topic: I'm moving into my apartment today!
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

So, Arantor...

We were talking about Chris Hülsbeck??

One nitpick! You wrote "Turricn's creators Factor 5" - Turrican was created and originally programmed on the C64 by Manfred Trenz. Factor 5 did the proting to the Amiga.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Arantor

Post by Arantor »

Just finished: "Melonpool's Rock" by Eric Pryztulski & Steve Troop. (All time classic.)
Just shuffled to: Turrican Theme (1-1) by Chris Huelsbeck

de-rail
@Don Alexander, Turrican is tm'd by Factor5, and they do legally own the rights to it, including the spinoffs that are coming out (with rubbisher music, no doubt) but yes, you are correct in the original authorship of it.
/de-rail.

Chris also did the Amiga version of the opening theme from The Secret of Monkey Island, if you want another classic tune that he's done. I don't have that particular one on the playlist though, which is a shame since it's better than either the original MIDI version or the later remix IMO.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Arantor wrote:Chris also did the Amiga version of the opening theme from The Secret of Monkey Island, if you want another classic tune that he's done. I don't have that particular one on the playlist though, which is a shame since it's better than either the original MIDI version or the later remix IMO.
I have a huge amount of C64 music (almost 8 GB) as MP3's, most are converted from the HVSC, but they don't sound perfectly like they should (they were done like 8 years ago, so maybe the sound emulation has improved significantly since then). I also have a bunch of stuff (including both Turrican soundtracks) recorded directly to PC by connecting the C64 monitor sound jack with a stereo system and piping that into a PC...

So my question is, is there something like HVSC for the Amiga?? A place where you can download the ripped soundfiles and play them with an emulator? Because I'm really, really looking for the theme from Populous...

Anyhoo, my fave C64 musicians are the Maniacs of Noise.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

I was fortunate to see something very neat here 5 or 6 months ago that kinda blew my mind. Props to PBS for putting this on the air to share with the masses. In December of 1968, the Rolling Stones got together with some of the bigger names in '60s rock and put on a live show, The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus. It was supposed to be shown on the BBC but for some reason never was so if you were not there, you never got to see it, and that is a damn shame. The line-up included the Stones of course, but also The Who, Jethro Tull, Eric Clapton just after the break up of Cream, John Lennon and Yoko Ono in his first public appearance without the Beatles, Taj Mahal and Marianne Faithfull. It has some very interesting little musical anomalies in the production, such as this was the last public performance of Brian Jones with the Stones, and the only footage anywhere of Tony Iommi playing as a member of Jethro Tull. But the item that makes me post this, the item that made me go "Whoa" was a pick up band. Calling themselves The Dirty Mac, John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell got onstage and played a couple of songs for the crowd, one being Yer Blues as I recall. It is the kind of thing one never sees, almost a once in a life time thing perhaps, and I found it good. I believe it is now out on CD and DVD, I highly recomend giving it a look, for pure magical music history if nothing else.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

NobodySpecial

Post by NobodySpecial »

Funny thing about the Rock and Roll Circus is that the only thing that kept it in the dark for so long is the Stones refused to release it. The official claim is they weren't happy with their performance seeing as how they'd been up for the 48 hours before doing illegal substances in various quantities and keeping the thing rolling. I suspect the real reason was to keep people from seeing Brian Jones looking absolutely pathetic in his last public performance as a Stone. The version of 'You Get What You Need' on that one is priceless, though. (And Yer Blues is on my iPod now).
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll

"If love is the answer, you're home."

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Swayambhu wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:
Swayambhu wrote:Oh wow, I didn't think anybody here actually listened to them. They're an all-time favorite of mine, been listening to them for years now. :)
If it contains growls, I've probably either heard of it or actually have it in my collection.
ToT were revolutionaries. They are one of the few really influential bands (next to Amon Amarth) that I listened to from Day One, right from when they published their self-titled debut album.
Aégis was something of a disappointment, and I never even bought Musique. I have Assembly, but only because I got it really cheap. Storm is pretty good again. I need to listen to their old stuff again.
If you are into this music, I can also recommend The Sins Of Thy Beloved, (old) Tristania, Penumbra... I'd have to look at home what else, it's a pretty dead genre now and I haven't listened to this stuff in a while.
Tristania, I'm familiar with, but wasn't as impressed with them.
Phooey! :ymtongue: Beyond the Veil and World of Glass are the two greatest Gothic Metal Albums ever, IMNSHO. ;)

Sirenia, Morten Veland's project after leaving Tristania, is also quite good.
Swayambhu wrote:Leaves Eyes, however, I was impressed with. :)
Me not so really...

PS.: I switched this to the more appropriate thread.
ImageImage

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Post by Swayambhu »

Good idea.

Uh, I don't know if this band relates at all to what we're discussing, but another band I've been semi-recently impressed with was one called Within Temptation.

Haven't heard any songs yet with growling in it though.
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Swayambhu wrote:Good idea.
Uh, I don't know if this band relates at all to what we're discussing, but another band I've been semi-recently impressed with was one called Within Temptation.
Oh, yeah... #-o
How could I forget them? Actually quite easy, because...
The very first (and by far the best) album, Enter, is Gothic Metal, and contains growls.
But now they have become something of a Nightwish clone... :|
Though the new Live album, The Black Symphony, is pretty good again.
Ah, yes, Nightwish. Can't claim to have listened to them from Day One, only from the second album. I do not like the new singer... Musically, they are awesome.
ImageImage

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Post by Swayambhu »

Don Alexander wrote:
Swayambhu wrote:Good idea.
Oh, yeah... #-o
How could I forget them? Actually quite easy, because...
The very first (and by far the best) album, Enter, is Gothic Metal, and contains growls.
But now they have become something of a Nightwish clone... :|
Though the new Live album, The Black Symphony, is pretty good again.
Ah, yes, Nightwish. Can't claim to have listened to them from Day One, only from the second album. I do not like the new singer... Musically, they are awesome.
You know, it's funny. I've never been a big Nightwish fan.

I'm weird when it comes to music. :(
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Swayambhu wrote:You know, it's funny. I've never been a big Nightwish fan.
I'm weird when it comes to music. :(
That's okay. They are much to mainstream to really hold my devotion any longer...

But... OMG...

Confession: I dig Evanescence...

Amy has a stunning voice, and the music is incredibly catchy...

Confession #2: MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH worse...

I'm a HIM fan... #-o

(Hey! That's a Day One band!! Hah!! I first heard a song on a smapler before even their debut ablum had come out, and immediately loved it...)
ImageImage

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Post by Swayambhu »

I only like a few songs by HIM.

And admittedly, I like a lot of Evanescence's stuff, but that doesn't make Amy any less of a bitch. :p

I have such a huge variety of music on my playlist, it surprises people sometimes when they come across certain songs like...

"Salt-n-Peppa - Push it"

or any of Tom Waits' music.

Man, Tom Waits must only have a cult-following or something, because everyone that's heard his music so far has either loved him or hated him. :(

I play his music in the store I work in sometimes, and people complain about it all the time, asking "what the hell is this cookie monster crap?"

Boo-hoo. :((
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Swayambhu wrote:Boo-hoo. :((
:ymhug:

Don't cry.

I am Tom-Waits-neutral. Don't know him, probably not my style of music.

And Amy's a bitch?? Who cares, I think she is way totally cute. :x

Okay, kidding. I wouldn't know. I don't really follow that aspect. (I mean the She's a bitch kind of things...)
ImageImage

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

I have music in English, German, French, and Spanish. That doesn't include the 15 different languages on Beatallica's All You Need Is Blood album. I have things from the classical Four Seasons and Beethoven's Fifth to 3 Inches of Blood. And sometimes I listen to them in that sort of order too.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?