Let's talk about music!

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Arantor

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by Arantor »

Don Alexander wrote:Confession: I dig Evanescence...
And now I will reveal something magical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iERmIMu25yM

Consider it: the magic of Evanescence's music combined with a mini sequel to Labyrinth. It's incredibly well done, IMO.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

They did do a series of comic novels that were a sequel to Labyrinth at stared Toby this time around...

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!!! :-o :-o :-o

I can't believe this has actually happened...

*listens to the crakcs of hell freezing over*

Edit: Beautiful vid for a beautiful song, Arantor. :((

I should not that I think Jennifer Conelly is much more beautiful today (for example in Blood Diamond) than in The Labyrinth.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Guns n Roses blows. Axel is an idiot for splitting up the band, and now he just sounds terrible. I don't care if I get flak for it, but I'm sure most of the people who are happy to see this album come out live in trailers. At least around here. I'll go buy a Velvet Revolver album before I buy anything with Axel in it.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

midgetshrimp wrote:Guns n Roses blows. Axel is an idiot for splitting up the band, and now he just sounds terrible. I don't care if I get flak for it, but I'm sure most of the people who are happy to see this album come out live in trailers. At least around here. I'll go buy a Velvet Revolver album before I buy anything with Axel in it.
Hey, I'm not defending Axl Rose... I :x all the old GnR stuff, it's one of the bands that got me into heavy music!! But I already lost respect for them with The Spaghetti Incident, and all the stuff after that was just ludicrous.

But I'll give the album a listen anyway. After all, Death Magnetic blew me away.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Yeah.. Guns N Roses has really gone downhill. Their old stuff was good, but now... its kinda meh.

And Velvet Revolver ROCKS! Go Slash! \m/

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Don Alexander wrote: Hey, I'm not defending Axl Rose... I :x all the old GnR stuff, it's one of the bands that got me into heavy music!! But I already lost respect for them with The Spaghetti Incident, and all the stuff after that was just ludicrous.

But I'll give the album a listen anyway. After all, Death Magnetic blew me away.
You're comparing Chinese Democracy to Death Magnetic? That's insulting. There is no comeback for Guns n Roses. That died years ago. Everyone was waiting for Metallica to pay for their horrendous mistake, and they delivered. Which is good, because their career wouldn't have lasted through another St. Anger. So Metallica is back to Metallica, but Guns n Roses will never be Guns n Roses again.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

midgetshrimp wrote:You're comparing Chinese Democracy to Death Magnetic? That's insulting. There is no comeback for Guns n Roses. That died years ago. Everyone was waiting for Metallica to pay for their horrendous mistake, and they delivered. Which is good, because their career wouldn't have lasted through another St. Anger. So Metallica is back to Metallica, but Guns n Roses will never be Guns n Roses again.
My comparison was that a lot of people initially did not believe Metallica would be able to become Metallica again (after all, they yodeld the "Back to the roots" song before St. Anger came out, and look what a midden heap that became...), but I decided to withhold judgement (even though the band, whose old material is God-like, had been on my shit list since the time you just started grade school! ;) ) and listen to the new album first. And it actually blew me away.

So I'll withhold any judgement here too. But I'm pretty sure this will not blow me away... /:)
ImageImage

NobodySpecial

Post by NobodySpecial »

I'm in the minority, but this whole 'Metallica is back to Metallica' is bollocks. Metallica back when they were 20 or so and listened to nothing but the NWOBHM is a far different thing from Metallica now approaching their 50's and having a much broader musical palette to pick from. I think they're ill served by stickinthemud fans who want them to keep redoing Ride The Lightning over and over and over and fracking over. Let the late 80's go, f'pete's sake.

/rant
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll

"If love is the answer, you're home."

NobodySpecial

Post by NobodySpecial »

And while the subject is up, I'm listening to Chinese Democracy right now.

The first couple songs are kinda iffy. I'll put 'Better' and 'There Was A Time' up against almost anything in the back catalog, though. It's definitely not G N' R as it used to be, for sure...but it ain't bad.
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

NobodySpecial wrote:I'm in the minority, but this whole 'Metallica is back to Metallica' is bollocks. Metallica back when they were 20 or so and listened to nothing but the NWOBHM is a far different thing from Metallica now approaching their 50's and having a much broader musical palette to pick from. I think they're ill served by stickinthemud fans who want them to keep redoing Ride The Lightning over and over and over and fracking over. Let the late 80's go, f'pete's sake.

/rant
Metallica back to Metallica has two different possibilities. One of which is not even possible, since Cliff Burton is dead. Metallica has gone through some eras, and they now are back to their predominately 90's era. Which was still good, if not Cliff Burton good. Death Magnetic is far from being close to their best stuff, but I'm sure no one expects them to be able to return to Kill em All, Ride the Lightening, or And Justice for All... ever again. The new album more lines up with the Black Album, Load, and Reload, which (and I don't care what anyone says about them) are still good albums.

NobodySpecial

Post by NobodySpecial »

Well, Reload sucked, but that's mostly because it was B-tracks from the Load sessions. Most B-tracks don't get cut for a reason. But Load kicked ass, and I had to listen to years of whiners who want to go back to their High School stoner daze complain that it didn't sound like Master of Puppets...and those people are still out there. James and crew probably could have saved themselves a few years and a few bucks wasted on therapy had they told the stoner crew to get stuffed.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Of course Metallica are not back to the 80s. something like RtL or MoP (how could you forget that, MS? :( ) is utterly unreachable. And I also think DM is more similar to Justice+Black+Load than anything else. but it still connects with me, it's really good music. It need neither overtop nor whatever else the old stuff. It can stand next to it.
ImageImage

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Don Alexander wrote:Of course Metallica are not back to the 80s. something like RtL or MoP (how could you forget that, MS? :( ) is utterly unreachable. And I also think DM is more similar to Justice+Black+Load than anything else. but it still connects with me, it's really good music. It need neither overtop nor whatever else the old stuff. It can stand next to it.
I didn't forget Master of Puppets. It's one of their greatest commercial successes, but to me, not the best example of their sound. I really like Master of Puppets, don't get me wrong. Sanitarium is one of my favorite Metallica songs. I just think the album in it's entirety is one step below the three I first listed, and one step up from the next three.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

midgetshrimp wrote:I didn't forget Master of Puppets. It's one of their greatest commercial successes, but to me, not the best example of their sound. I really like Master of Puppets, don't get me wrong. Sanitarium is one of my favorite Metallica songs. I just think the album in it's entirety is one step below the three I first listed, and one step up from the next three.
Well, taste shall be taste. It's my fave of all.

My absolute fave Metallica track is actually one that is probably very rarely favorited: The Thing That Should Not Be
ImageImage