Let's talk about music!

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Re: Let's talk about music!

Post by midgetshrimp »

Commercial success. And the fact that he's a country musician. I don't respect country musicians. I have an averse physical reaction to country music. Twitching, eyesore, grinding teeth. Not pleasant.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

aishabe

Post by aishabe »

midgetshrimp wrote:Commercial success. And the fact that he's a country musician. I don't respect country musicians. I have an averse physical reaction to country music. Twitching, eyesore, grinding teeth. Not pleasant.
Wow.
Well, I'm not the biggest fan of country, either, but their are four or five songs that I enjoy.
A few of which are by Josh Turner.
Lady High Vice Mistress, Mistress of Vices

NobodySpecial

Post by NobodySpecial »

Country music officially died when Urban Cowboy came out, anyways.

I don't really know that a detailed listing of the 350 or so artists in my iTunes will do anything for most of you. It's the odd and hard to find stuff that I like to talk about, myself.

Led Zeppelin and Neil Young doing 'When The Levee Breaks' at the 1991 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame show.

Skid Row and Rob Halford doing 'Delivering The Goods' live.

The full version of Vanilla Fudge's 'You Keep Me Hangin' On'.

Jimi Hendrix doing 'Day Tripper' with John Lennon on background vocals.

Gary Moore and Albert King in a 10+ minute version of 'Stormy Monday'.

Cheap Trick live in 1977 NOT Budokan.

The Yardbirds w/Jimmy Page live in 1968.

Muddy Waters and Dizzy Gillespie doing 'Kansas City'.

That sort of thing. :D
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll

"If love is the answer, you're home."

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

The new Metallica and Slipknot albums are out. Buy them and worship appropriately.

The new Amon Amarth album comes out soon...if you know who the hell they are, you get a well-deserved cookie and a handful of Coppertone, to put anywhere on DiDi you wish.

...and yes, inner thigh is an option.
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Beelzebozo

Post by Beelzebozo »

AC/DC.
Metallica.
Jimmy Hendrix.
The Doors.
The Who.
Meat Loaf.
Motorhead.
The Beatles.
Queen.
Led Zeppelin.
Black Sabbath.
The Rolling Stones.
Bod Dylan.
Rammstein.
Jefferson Airplane.
Janis Joplin.
Angra.
Ztratovarius.
Apocalyptica.
REM.
The Police.
Silvio Rodriguez.
Joaquin Sabina.

This guys are my favorites...
"Today, a young man on LSD realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather..." Willian Melvin "Bill" Hicks.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

brnleague99 wrote:The new Metallica
Listened to it today. Will hopefully grow, but I was a bit disappointed. Lots of good things have been said about it, and, while I'll readily acknowledge that it is elebenty times better than everything they did since ~ 1994, I was hoping it would beat the "Black Album", but it's not there yet for me.
brnleague99 wrote:and Slipknot albums are out. Buy them and worship appropriately.
I'll skip even thinking of Slipknot...
brnleague99 wrote:The new Amon Amarth album comes out soon...if you know who the hell they are, you get a well-deserved cookie and a handful of Coppertone, to put anywhere on DiDi you wish. ...and yes, inner thigh is an option.
brnleague99, I started listening to Amon Amarth by buying the "Sorrow Throughout The Nine Worlds EP" in 1997.

Worship me. :twisted:

I've seen them live six or seven times, have all their albums... The new one is pretty cool, especially the title song is a blast. But for me, nothing surpasses "Sorrow..." and "Once Sent From The golden Hall", especially the track "Amon Amarth".
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

The Pixies (and Frank Black, the Breeders)
Les Rita Mitsouko
Ron Sexsmith
Sloan
Cheap Trick
Jean Leloup
Stefie Shock
Xavier Cafeine
Dumas
Corbeau
Spoon
Tom Petty
Steve Earle
Cat Stevens
Van Halen (w/David Lee Roth)
Kiss ('70s work)
Def Leppard (High & Dry, Pyromania)
E-Z-O (first album)
Loudness ('80s work)
Seo Tai Ji
The Bangles
Go-Go's
Girlschool (early to mid '80s stuff)
Joan Jett
Cansei de Ser Sexy
Deftones
Coal Chamber
Static-X
Metallica (first 3 albums)
Megadeth (first 3 albums)
Motley Crue (Too Fast for Love, Shout at the Devil)
Nine Inch Nails
Smashing Pumpkins
Queens of the Stone Age (and Eagles of Death Metal)
Foo Fighters
Weezer

and I could name more :)

Stratburst

Post by Stratburst »

midgetshrimp wrote:Commercial success. And the fact that he's a country musician. I don't respect country musicians. I have an averse physical reaction to country music. Twitching, eyesore, grinding teeth. Not pleasant.
Try listening to Steve Earle or Johnny Cash. If you don't like either of their music, there's something wrong with you.

A few of my faves (in no particular order):

- Apocalyptica
- Robert Randolph
- Wasis Diop
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
- Hüsker Dü (more specifically, anything by Bob Mould)
- Parliament/Funkadelic
- Rammstein
- Social Distortion
- Victor Wooten (add Bela Fleck and the Flecktones to that list)
- Al Green
- Gov't Mule
- Esperanza Spalding
- The Superbad soundrack
- The Pixies
- Rick James (bitch!)
- Nick Drake
- Seu Jorge
- Midnight Oil
- QOTSA
- James Brown

And countless others . . . :mrgreen:
"This is a sex farce, people. There's going to be a certain-amount of bed-hopping going on. If that really disturbs anyone, then my advice to them is to stick to Family Circle and Garfield." - Oarboar

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

I haven't heard of Steve Earle, but I've heard Johnny Cash and while it's tolerable, I really don't want to listen to it. I've had to sit through a loop of about 8 songs with him on it for literally hours on end. Your Own Personal Jesus can go to hell. Go to hell and die.

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

Giz! You like Coal Chamber? Holy shit!

I loved them back in the day, and everytime I'd try to tell someone how good they were, I'd get a lot of blank looks.

Saw them live twice. Once opening for Slipknot and once for Type O Negative.
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

*bump back into the realm of the living*

Got four new cds:

311 - Greatest Hits '93-'03
Sister Hazel - Somewhere More Familiar
Miller & Rafferty - Travellers
Vince Conaway - Distractions from the Muse

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Just to update on my post on the top...

The Metallica has grown. A lot! While I consider it to be somewhere between the Black Album and Load/Reload (and not ...And Justice For All and the Black Album, as others say), they have a way of writing music that goes to the core. It's not "Master of Puppets II", but it's a great album.

The new Amon Amarth is also a swell album. Sure, it's become pretty smooth, I guess they are trying to appeal to a larger audience, but it's still Amon amarth. The title track is killer.

Right now, I'm enchanted by "Only The Sleeper Left The World" off Maroon's "The Cold Heart Of The Sun". German Deathcore. Alas, not posted on Youtube.

Other cool stuff lately...

Agrypnie - Exit. Okay, NO ONE is going to know this band... German Melodic Black Metal from the singer of Nocte Obducta, sounding a lot like Nocte too - which is a fantastic thing.

Eisregen - Knochenkult. Again, probably no one on the board knows them. Finally, they are harsher again!

The new Iced Earth was also a positive surprise, the return of Matt Barlow is suuuch a blessing!

Dream Theater - Chaos In Motion. One of these days I'm going to sue them for publishing a live album after EACH studio CD. Except I will not - because this one is, once again, a stunner!!!

That's it for now.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

midgetshrimp wrote:*bump back into the realm of the living*
Night of the living undead thread... :twisted:
Last edited by Don Alexander on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Dryope

Post by Dryope »

I uhhh got the new of Montreal and really, really, really desperately want the new Rosebuds album. I love them both so much, you do not even know. Also, I am sooooo gonna see of Montreal in concert in November. I have not been to a concert in forever and it's got me down. Even better, it will be after a steampunk photoshoot. Not that I wouldn't have used the opportunity to dress wierd anyway, but you know. ^_^ I just know there has to be another of Montreal fan on these boards, the latest album is kinky in ways that would amuse most everyone on here (probably)
ImageImage

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

I want to see TSO again, but I don't think it's gonna happen this year. Definitely next year. That show was awesome the last time I saw it (November 2006, less than a week before my knee surgery. Loved it. The concert, not the surgery...)