South American Earthquake

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

South American Earthquake

Post by Radbaron »

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... 10tfan.php
is the biggest one so far, at 8.8 on the Richter scale.

Hopefully all our friends and their loved ones are all right. I know most of them do not live in Chile, but when they are this big, the get felt a long way off.

Tsunami warnings all across the Pacific, even to Australia.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: South American Earthquake

Post by Don Alexander »

I hate to be a nitpicker at times like this, but this far from the "biggest [quake] so far."

The largest quake of the last 100+ years was a very deep subduction quake, also off the coast of Chile, mag 9.5 on the Richter scale.

The great Sumatra-Andaman quake (which is usually known as the Indian Ocean tsunami) on Boxing day 2004 was mag 9.3.

But, yes, this is bad. It seems it was only 35 km deep, which is very dangerous.

I admit... :ymblushing: my very first thought went to the telescopes in the Andes. they are several hundred km north of Santiago, but this was a big one.

No reports on really big tsunamis yet, I did see something about 9 foot waves, mayvbe from the coast closest to the quake.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Kiggy

Post by Kiggy »

Teacher2B wrote:No relatives in Chile, that I know of. And here those things never reach, luckily.

Thanks for worrying Rad :)
Thank Goodness you're OK. I was worried. :( :ymhug:

First Haiti now Chile. Geez, what's with Latin America and earthquakes?

PS I know about plate tectonics. I just wanted to say that :p
A Jersey Devil, a Mothman, and a Chupacabra walk into a bar. . .

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I'm pretty sure our Pepperkitty is alright as well, Lima, Peru is thousands of km north.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

And since Pfhreak is fairly close to Teacher2B he should be well too.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Teacher2B wrote:No relatives in Chile, that I know of. And here those things never reach, luckily.
That is extremely good to know again
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

I should have been more clear with that link. That is the largest one recorded.... in this series of quakes today. The USGS main map showed a lot of activity there in the last 6 hours.
Already recorded tsunami waves of 7-8 feet above average at some locations, IIRC Aus and Hawai'i won't get hit for another 6-12 hours.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy

Post by Radbaron »

New Earthquake, new location. Argentina.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... 10tfc3.php

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

hrrrmmmm... : |

what about pepperkitty?
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Don Alexander wrote:I'm pretty sure our Pepperkitty is alright as well, Lima, Peru is thousands of km north.
Read, Tenjen, read... :P
ImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

:3 ah alright.
ImageImageImage

LadySheDevil
Tittycakes

Post by LadySheDevil »

Argentina...? ~800 miles from Phreak... Still worrisome though...
Vanishing Elder of the Noms; She who Plays With Madness; One Among the Fence; Tittycake Mistress.

~* \m/ Music is Love. \:D/ *~ ~* :-B Gaming too! :-B *~

Winner: Wet T-Shirt Contest, Ladies Division June '10

Otaku201
BANNED

Post by Otaku201 »

South American Earthquake has butterfly effected into Hawaiian Tsunami. I've been watching TV in anticipation for hours. :-ss I know a hot blonde out there.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

http://www.bom.gov.au/tsunami/

there's warnings all across the NSW coastline, but I'm pretty sure that it just means that Surfers will go out to unmanned beaches for the waves.

It's good to hear that people are safe...although I'm worried about Phreak now.

Edit: Phreak is online...that's a good sign. :)
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Looks like no real tsunamis hit Hawaii or Australia. I was worried about Mel and Alycia and Ugo and Scream Man... :-s
ImageImage