The Society For the Appreciation of Matt and Dillon

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

njbarsuli13

Re: The Society For the Appreciation of Matt and Dillon

Post by njbarsuli13 »

Very true.

Then again...when doesn't he look good?

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

njbarsuli13 wrote:I would like to be the first to say that the first strip definitely hooked me immediately. Kudos goes to Giz and Dave for such a brilliant hooker (no...not that kind of hooker).
Ahhhhhh....I thought it had been too long since Giz tore someone's face off.

Bravo!
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Dryope

Post by Dryope »

Our pair have a singular inability to control themselves. XD what else is new, right.

I think we can all agree that more sweaty and disheveled Dillon is a good thing! Matt probably prefers the shirt unbuttoned, though. ^_~ (unless he's jealous, but he doesn't seem the type...)
ImageImage

njbarsuli13

Post by njbarsuli13 »

Personally, I would prefer more sweaty and disheveled Matt...but that's just me.

Dillon's fine too.

=)

Dryope

Post by Dryope »

I absolutely refuse to believe that Matt ever gets sweaty or disheveled: Until presented with ocular evidence to contradict me I shall maintain my belief that he is utterly implacable, even during passionate love making. (._. )( ._.)
ImageImage

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

Firstly...Dryope? You live in Atlanta? Ever heard of Carrollton? In Carroll County? I'm 41 miles SW of you.

:D

Now that said. I've never been "into" boy-boy love before, so while I fully respect your opinion...the whole Matt and Dillon thing just doesn't do it for me.

Now DiDi and Zii on the other hand. I've been a fan of "girl-girl" love since I saw Basic instinct for the first time when I was 17. (I'm 31 now)

So...where's THE SOCIETY FOR THE APPRECIATION OF DIDI AND ZII?

I'd buy that for $1.12.

:D

/me hides before Dryope goes on a killing rampage.
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

drewboy

Post by drewboy »

I absolutely love the adorably dynamic gay duo, and applaud Giz once again for including them in more than just cameo appearances. Aside from the awesome artwork and intriguing story, those two are what got me reading the strip in the first place (best first strip *ever*). There aren't too many gay-themed comics out on the web that I'm particularly a big fan of (ok, I like Adam & Andy like everyone else, but c'mon), which is a shame. So I appreciate Giz for including the two, and for being so gay-friendly throughout her various online work. You go, girl! :)

And yes, today's strip is interesting....hope the "surprise" is a good one! :D

Dryope

Post by Dryope »

I'm technically in Alpharetta, but it's easier to say "Atlanta" because, you know, it's close enough. =p I've heard of Carrollton, but I've actually never been. D=

I don't go on killing rampages: that's what minions are for. I don't know why you'd think I'd want to go on a killing rampage, though. o_0 Unless you're the one who sent the killer spider after me this morning...
And yes, today's strip is interesting....hope the "surprise" is a good one!
It involves Matt and Dillon, there is no doubt that it will be good. XD

Yes, Giz manages to be inclusive without seeming contrived. ^_^
ImageImage

njbarsuli13

Post by njbarsuli13 »

drewboy wrote:I absolutely love the adorably dynamic gay duo, and applaud Giz once again for including them in more than just cameo appearances. Aside from the awesome artwork and intriguing story, those two are what got me reading the strip in the first place (best first strip *ever*). There aren't too many gay-themed comics out on the web that I'm particularly a big fan of (ok, I like Adam & Andy like everyone else, but c'mon), which is a shame. So I appreciate Giz for including the two, and for being so gay-friendly throughout her various online work. You go, girl! :)

And yes, today's strip is interesting....hope the "surprise" is a good one! :D
Yo, drewboy, you should definitely check out Boy Meets Boy and Friendly Hostility (the semi-sequal spinoff thing of Boy Meets Boy), but only in that order. They are both pretty good webcomics written by the same author, both about two different gay couples (the second is about a gay couple that was only in a couple strips of the first comic, which ended).

Boy Meets Boy ended, but Friendly Hostility is still going, so I continue to read it.

=)

drewboy

Post by drewboy »

njbarsuli13 wrote:Yo, drewboy, you should definitely check out Boy Meets Boy and Friendly Hostility (the semi-sequal spinoff thing of Boy Meets Boy), but only in that order.
I remember reading BMB a little bit a while back, and I don't remember liking it much. I generally don't find strips that focus on gay men that are written by women to be particularly compelling because most can't really speak genuinely from a gay male perspective. It's why I *really* don't like most of the yaoi I've read.....most of it is written by women, for the enjoyment of women. Plus the characters in them are drawn way, *way* too girly for my taste. :P

I think folks like Giz and Dykes to Watch Out For creator Alison Bechdel understand that, and respectfully make their gay male characters solid supporting characters rather than central ones.

I do enjoy other LGBT strips on the web, such as Diary of a Catering Whore, Straight Ahead (although the pacing in that one is *mad* slow), Lilliane Bi-Dyke (pity she hasn't updated in a while).

Of course, these are all just my opinions, and everyone is free to agree or disagree as whole-heartedly as they want. :D

njbarsuli13

Post by njbarsuli13 »

No no no. I agree with you that BMB was not a very good comic in its entirety.

However, Friendly Hostility doesn't base its premise around the fact that the two main characters are in a gay relationship. In fact, it kind of proceeds like College Roomies From Hell! does: it mainly focuses on humor that draws the readers in and some deep storyline eventually that keeps the readers.

Personally, I find it amazing (partially because Collin is a cynical asshole like myself), and I would still recommend it...especially because it has a much different feel to it than BMB did.

*shrug*

I will have to check out this "Adam and Andy" comic you mentioned before, but I'm not all that interested in bisexual/lesbian storylines (because I'm not all that interested in bisexuals or lesbians, typically).

And before I get yelled at, you have to notice the "typically" up there. I know I'm going to get haters, blah blah blah, but I'm gay so it's all good.

=)

drewboy

Post by drewboy »

njbarsuli13 wrote: but I'm not all that interested in bisexual/lesbian storylines (because I'm not all that interested in bisexuals or lesbians, typically)
Hey, that's cool. I can find myself digging many different non-hetero relationships in tv/movies/comics, which is why the Didi/Zii thing is so fascinating to see unfold. I'll have to give Friendly Hostility a look too. :)

Dryope

Post by Dryope »

Hmmm, I would recommend So Common, So Cheap, but it's been on hiatus since June. ^_^; It is by a boy, though! The character designs are pretty, but it's manga style so you know, comes with the territory. It reminds me a little bit of QC because of the basis in music subculture. Oh! And there's also Finn and Charlie are Hitched, which despite being about two gay men I sometimes read and say "hey, that's just like me and my husband!!" This one is not manga influenced. Ummm, after that the only two webcomics I can think of that I actually keep up with that are about gay men are Honeydew Syndrome and All In Your Head...both are manga influenced, although AIYH has much manlier male characters than is usual. But it restarted. But those are both by girls. yup.

If it involves romance of any kind I'm there. I'm such a girl.
ImageImage

njbarsuli13

Post by njbarsuli13 »

Speaking of QC, although it was VERY briefly mentioned only in the very beginning of the webcomic, what's-his-face's (So bad with names, but I swear I'm a huge fan) boss was gay.

*shrug*

Also, I would like to appreciate everyone who has not taken part in the ridiculous homophobes vs. gay-lovers argument occurring in the newest comic-related thread. It was so bad, even Dave had to step in...and yet it still continues.

Anyway...love to all!

Dryope

Post by Dryope »

My first thought upon seeing panel 3 today was that Matt was groping Dillon. On further reflection it would be an awkward position to be groping someone from and he's clearly actually just making the "I'm frickin' manly and awesome 'cause I bought and put together this desk for my friend and ex-roommate and I laid Dillon. All bow down to my virility!!!" pose. The hand clasping is ridiculously adorable. AWWWWW.
ImageImage