Latinoamerica...

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Beelzebozo

Latinoamerica...

Post by Beelzebozo »

I want to know if ther is any latinamerican in
this forum, just for curiosity...
I dont belive im the only one in here.
"Today, a young man on LSD realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather..." Willian Melvin "Bill" Hicks.

Pfhreak

Re: Latinoamerica...

Post by Pfhreak »

Does "yanqui living in Argentina" count? ;)
The wall of separation between church and state is a good start, but let's put in a minefield, too.

Beelzebozo

Post by Beelzebozo »

Teacher2B wrote:I'm also latinoamerican, and I think I may be the only one from my country. Where are you from?
Im from Dominican Republic, a small island in the
caribean sea, next to Puerto Rico.

Where are you from?
"Today, a young man on LSD realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather..." Willian Melvin "Bill" Hicks.

Ray D

Post by Ray D »

Teacher2B wrote:Uruguay. It's also a small country, but in South America. It's between Argentina and Brazil. People always confuse Uruguay with Paraguay, because both names are similar, both are small countries and both have borders with Argentina and Brazil. But we have beaches and Paraguay has no access to the sea (apart from having borders with Bolivia, also).
Ah, no one who knows anything about the history of soccer would ever confuse Uruguay and Paraguay. Who can forget the 1950 World Cup?

dianekikiula

Post by dianekikiula »

One of my university professors was from Uruguay. (It's resulted in my Spanish having an odd Mexican/Uruguayan/gringo accent.)

WangyJohn

Post by WangyJohn »

I know Uruguay on the merit that my mom is working for a comany that's designing the electric work for a paper mill to be built in Uruguay by a local company. Yes, that papermill the Argentinians are up to arms against.

Off course, as a an geography afficiendo, I knew where Uruguay was, might have maybe been able to name the capital, and knew that Paraguay was alongside Bolivia the only inland country in South America.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

One thing that jumps into my mind is Uruguay's part in a rather significant piece of history, The Battle of the Rio de la Plata (River Plate) in December 1939.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Beelzebozo

Post by Beelzebozo »

Thas good guys, now i dont fill so alone now. :lol:
In my country there is no soccer tradition, we play baseball and
we have a lot of players in the MLB.

I good to know than there a bunch of brothers in this forum...

Ray D

Post by Ray D »

Beelzebozo wrote:Thas good guys, now i dont fill so alone now. :lol:

I am a big baseball fan, and I love Papi Ortiz. But who doesn't love Papi?
Heck, I used to like Joaquin Andujar, too, when he was around.

I'm not Hispanic, but I grew up in a Puerto Rican neighborhood, a Colombian saved me from drowning in a pool, my grandad lived for years in Mexico, plus I was born in LA. So...VIVA!

Beelzebozo

Post by Beelzebozo »

Ray D wrote:
Beelzebozo wrote:Thas good guys, now i dont fill so alone now. :lol:

I am a big baseball fan, and I love Papi Ortiz. But who doesn't love Papi?
Heck, I used to like Joaquin Andujar, too, when he was around.

I'm not Hispanic, but I grew up in a Puerto Rican neighborhood, a Colombian saved me from drowning in a pool, my grandad lived for years in Mexico, plus I was born in LA. So...VIVA!
Wow...
You grew up in a Puerto Rican neighborhood, a Colombian saved you life
and your grandad lived in Mexico. Do you know what you need now?
A Brazilian girl... YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Or probably a Venezolan... :D

dianekikiula

Post by dianekikiula »

Teacher2B wrote: Although I love History and was a History student for a couple of years (now I'm studying for becoming an English Teacher, but I'll continue with History after my graduation), I keep forgetting that Uruguay was not always such an insignificant country as it is nowadays. During the period between the two WW and for some years after WW2 it was very rich and pioneer in many things (social laws, for example), but the situation worsened in the 50's. We're not so bad nowadays, as our social and economical situation is better than many latinoamerican countries (although it was quite bad around 2002, when we had a big economic crisis).

<snip>

I think that we suffer, as a nation, of low self-esteem, and all the good things that our country has are not fully appreciated.
One of the classes I took with the Uruguayan professor was on the dictatorships in El Cono Sur. Do you think that had an impact on the nation's self-esteem?

Peppercat
Sneaky Feline Minion

Post by Peppercat »

Beelzebozo wrote:
Ray D wrote:I'm not Hispanic, but I grew up in a Puerto Rican neighborhood, a Colombian saved me from drowning in a pool, my grandad lived for years in Mexico, plus I was born in LA. So...VIVA!
Wow...
You grew up in a Puerto Rican neighborhood, a Colombian saved you life
and your grandad lived in Mexico. Do you know what you need now?
A Brazilian girl... YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Or probably a Venezolan... :D
Or Peruvian! WOOHOO!
(just kidding)

Yo tambien soy latina! =D
I'm from Peru.

Teacher2B, I think Uruguay's great. One of my school friends is from Montevideo and my mom was in Punta del Este last year (bcause of work, but she stayed for another three days to tour around) and she said it was amazing. She wants to go back there someday, but she can't really afford it (I'm hoping I can save enough to get her the plane tickets someday as a present).

I never imagined Uruguayans could feel that way about their own country. The same pretty much happens here in Peru, although some big Peruvian companies are in some sort of quest to raise the morale through publicity. It's worked okay so far... But I feel too that most people don't really appreciate what we have, whether it's much or not.