Can i get some help on my paper?

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: Can i get some help on my paper?

Post by Tenjen »

Tv tropes is the best place to go for cliche's. its like the wikipedia of cliche's.

Oh and dont forget the funny one liner after the villain gets killed

"wipe yourself off..you daayd"
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Guns and Ammo time.

Good guys never run out of bullets / have to reload
guns have magical magazines that hold more bullets/shells than is physically possible
bullets can be stopped by a simple piece of plywood when the badguy is shooting at you
YOUR bullets can penetrate steel walls, however
if you get hit by a bullet you must fly backwards (or do physics bending twists) even if you're shot with a .22
snipers never miss
the bad guys never seem to clue in that "no, you're not happy to see them" is that big bulge in your pants
cars will explode when shot, even through the front windshield
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Tenjen wrote:Tv tropes is the best place to go for cliche's. its like the wikipedia of cliche's.

Oh and dont forget the funny one liner after the villain gets killed

"wipe yourself off..you daayd"
The thing about tvtropes is that, as they say, they're not listing cliches but rather methods and common presumptions. I need cliches, which are by defition annoying.
I have like 3 months to do the paper though=)).
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

It sounds to me that a lot of the complaints we have about films (action and horror films in particular) is that they aren't realistic enough. That things don't happen like they do in the real world.

Which makes me question why we need things to happen like they would in the real world when the purpose of the film is escapism and entertainment. If we were entertained by the real world we wouldn't be trying to escape it, would we?

I want to know why we feel the need to escape, and then the things that make us realise we're escaping are the very things we complain bitterly about later when given an opportunity.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus
Purveyor of Puggles

Post by Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus »

Asaryu wrote:It sounds to me that a lot of the complaints we have about films (action and horror films in particular) is that they aren't realistic enough. That things don't happen like they do in the real world.

Which makes me question why we need things to happen like they would in the real world when the purpose of the film is escapism and entertainment.
This reminds me of how a friend of mine was annoyed by an episode of Dr. Who because the characters were outrunning a pyroclastic flow :))
R.I.P. Don Alexander/Dr. David "Alex" Alexander Kann, 2/15/77-3/10/23 :( I'll never forget you or all the good times we had.

"Look up. The stars are shining for you."

Owner and Manager of McLovecraft's; Zany Genius Inventor of Ichory Delights

<3 PRIDE IN THY PUGGLES! <3

me: I remember biting Teach in the ass...
DA: We remember the REALLY important things.

Became Mrs. SP on 10/16/10 <3 :D

Now with mini Puggles! (as in babies) I have two boys, ages 7 and 4 :)

Pneumonica

Post by Pneumonica »

Asaryu wrote:It sounds to me that a lot of the complaints we have about films (action and horror films in particular) is that they aren't realistic enough. That things don't happen like they do in the real world.
Not really. It's when a movie that's trying to build tension off of a credible threat loses its credibility. Even a willing suspension of disbelief breaks down when the fundimental crisis isn't. I mean, Push was a great movie despite the threats being incredible because, given that they existed, they functioned in a threatening manner. When, for example, a thrown explosive doesn't even injure the heroes, I lose suspension of disbelief. Meanwhile, the Borne Identity and sequel movies kept me going because the fundamental challenges were credibly challenging, and there was a credible uncertainty to their outcome.

And, because I know some jackass will point it out, obviously the uncertaintly was not, "Hero dies, movie ends," but real grown-ups know that there are forms of uncertainty other than, "Does he die?"
Further affiant sayeth not.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Actually I'll be contrary and go the other way for you Pneumonica :D

The Cowboys did not end when John Wayne died. So not every movie ends if the hero dies. Hee-haw :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Pneumonica

Post by Pneumonica »

And hey, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance began with it. :D
Further affiant sayeth not.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

THIS is a fairly good example of what not to do in action movies, if you want to be taken seriously. (Personally love this clip, because I find it that hilarious!!!)

My biggest issue here? PAIN THRESHOLD MUCH? Would you keep fighting some jerk offs if you'd already lost an eye to said fight? Or would you really keep going until you've lost the other one?...

Second biggest issue is the soundwork. Every karate/kung fu smack makes the same noise. A rather cliched kind of noise. Like they bought it from K-Mart. I've dabbled in sound design, and I know it's pretty easy to either stretch or compress a sound, or raise/lower it to disguise the fact it's the same sound you're using. Sometimes it's actually more work to disguise an over-used sound than it is to go out record your own one. Now before I really start ranting... conclusion is that cliched sound effects are so lame. It only takes one overheard sound effect to break a flick's painstakingly built diegesis (overarching world, that is), and thus seed disbelief in people.
Example: Third Terminator movie (I think). A huge scene involving a massive truck, Arnie hanging off the side somewhere, and the machine-chick/guy is chasing them in a crane (if I remember correctly). At some point the truck explodes, and the explosion is made of a mix of noises, but just one of which I've heard before quite a few times for both fire and wild cats snarling. I don't remember the scene that well, but I remember that one itty bitty sound.
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.