Our Aussie Friends

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Our Aussie Friends

Post by Don Alexander »

Today, in the paper, there were some "Good news" stories about the Australian fires.

There was picture of a fireman who had saved a little Koala (which burned its paws :( ) and was giving it water. And other stories with heros who managed to save others, sometimes risking their own lives.

Catastrophes are bad, but they often reveal the strength and goodness in humanity as well. :)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Smoke everywhere today, covering the Melbourne area.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Don Alexander wrote:Today, in the paper, there were some "Good news" stories about the Australian fires.

There was picture of a fireman who had saved a little Koala (which burned its paws :( ) and was giving it water. And other stories with heros who managed to save others, sometimes risking their own lives.

Interesting. One wonders if Australia will now have a "Smokey Koala". In the United States a young black bear was rescued from a forest fire back in 1950 and made a living embodyment of the Forest Service's mascot, which was created in the early '40s as I recall.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

If we made a mascot out of every marsupial that gets singed in a bushfire...lets just say we'd have a lot of mascots. :P
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

An army of them, even.
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

They could be depicted in pillow form. And then... ;;)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Revlis

Post by Revlis »

Don Alexander wrote:Today, in the paper, there were some "Good news" stories about the Australian fires.

Catastrophes are bad, but they often reveal the strength and goodness in humanity as well. :)
Not just humans have shown heroism good sir. Here is just one tale.

A farmer/breeder and his horse (of Melbourne Cup racing pedegree) were out in a remote paddock when they suddenly became trapt. With a creek at their backs and a wall of fire surrounding them. He thought it was the end, but just as the flames reached them his horse pushed him into the creek and then ran off into the inferno. It saved the his life as he was able to stay underwater while it passed.

There is a happy ending though. Some time later the horse was found alive and with only minor burns. :D
If that isn't a hero then I don't know what is!! :ymapplause:
"I'm losing my name in the malestrom, but I'm not giving-in so don't you give in. I'll be your atlas and carry us home, but I guess I wont save your world today". Song: Atlas. By: Covenant.

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

I saw that story on the news, with the horse. Was very cool.

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

The city is choked with smoke from the fires again. It's really bad. I'm on the 21st floor, and even up here, visibility is only about two or three kilometres.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

I wish there was some way to send our chronic rain clouds over your way.

Climate change much?
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

I just got in touch with my friend Bernie! He's doing volunteer work to do with the fires right now, he's organizing donations for people who have been affected. From what he's said, it sounds bad :( Best wishes to all of you down there!

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Considering the devastation.

What are the chances the fires killed the arsonists?
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Hopefully very high.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

I suppose it would depend on just how far into terminal their stupidity ranges.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

Or just how unpredictable those winds were, and how hot it was, and how fast they could run.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.