Our Aussie Friends

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Our Aussie Friends

Post by Radbaron »

Seeing how we have a few forumites who live down under, and with the horrible fires that they are having right now, I think that a thread where they can check in every so often and update us on the happenings would be a good idea.

Holy crap that was a long sentence!
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Re: Our Aussie Friends

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I just read the news about that as well, and concern over our friends down under popped up immediately. Hope to hear from you guys to confirm you're okay! :ympray:
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Nibler
Professional Lurker

Post by Nibler »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7878106.stm

yikes... are any of the Australian forumites in/around Victoria?
This is not the greatest signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Scaramouche is in Melbourne, and Asaryu and JVDifferent are in Sydney. As far as I know, both cities are not directly affected (yet?), but there's smoke and stuff...

I'm actually astonished and dismayed that so many people have lost their lives. You always hear about the wildfires in California each year, but while they are destructive, they rarely, if I recall correctly, result in more than a few deaths. The newest number I heard concerning Australia was 130, and there were reports of many vehicles which contained totally burned bodies... :-ss
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

LadySheDevil
Tittycakes

Post by LadySheDevil »

If Scar's in Melbourne, he's pretty much in the middle of it... :( Or at least way too close for comfort. :-s The girls are a pretty safe distance away though, I think. I hope.

We're quite prone to brush fires and crop flareups during our summers too, though as far as forest fires go, the areas that are affected are generally unpopulated. I think the same goes for much of Alberta and especially British Columbia...

But the possibility of the Aussie fires being started intentionally just infuriates me. These assholes deserve to be set on fire themselves. X(
Vanishing Elder of the Noms; She who Plays With Madness; One Among the Fence; Tittycake Mistress.

~* \m/ Music is Love. \:D/ *~ ~* :-B Gaming too! :-B *~

Winner: Wet T-Shirt Contest, Ladies Division June '10

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

I'll be honest, I don't listen to the radio and I don't watch TV (my tv hasn't been turned on in over a week), so the first I heard about the fires was when I was sitting at my desk with my headphones on yesterday and my co-worker started talking about them. I had no idea what he was talking about.

Something for Teach and LSD: Police Vow to Hunt Arsonists

For people wanting to see what's going on without all these confusing, foreign placenames: Bushfire Maps of Australia
The live map has been taken down so that Emergency Services can use it, but the static ones should give a good overview.

Ironically it's raining today where I am.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

I hope everyone's alright! A friend of mine is a carnie and I last talked to him when he was near Taggerty (which shows up on that Bushfire Map :-s ). So I am definitely thinking of all of you down under!!!

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

An interactive map of where the deaths have occurred can be found here
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

Thank you for posting that. *sigh of relief*

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

There's a good set of useful links on the website for the newspaper The Australian

If anyone is particularly keen to have a good look into it, there's image galleries, maps and interviews and such there. Should be on the front page if you just scroll down a little bit.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

I had no idea that the fires were happening until fairly late that night when an MSN friend started talking to me about it, mainly because I was in a car with no radio for most of the day. We were driving back home from Port Macquarie, which is about four hours or so north of Sydney (no where near the massive fires, but there are a few troublesome but little ones in the area).

The news on the previous day apparently announced that the Pacific Highway, the one we were driving along to get home, was going to be closed due to the annoying little fires in the area, but luckily it wasn't. They must've been taken care of.

So I log onto to MSN and my friend starts talking about the massive fires. And I'm (stupidly) all, "Well, they didn't seem all that bad."
My friend replies, "Not that bad? Try a deathtoll of 96 and counting."
Me: "But there wasn't even any smoke outside... wait."

This is the point where I head-desked myself.
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Head desk... for when you palm isn't hard enough.

Well I think all of our Aussie friends are accounted for and safe... thank Gods *hugs them* :ymhug:

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Thats so unfunny, even a bad cheer up joke isn't appropriate...

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

its more like a sad/unhappy joke, not meaning to cheer up as much as convey the sadness in a off kilter medium.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?