"Old school" stuff

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: "Old school" stuff

Post by Don Alexander »

zgwortz wrote:Probably my favorite from this time period is the original vocal album of Jesus Christ Superstar -- we played that one so often, I could probably sing 80% of it from memory, and the other 20% could easily be filled in by any of the rest of the family... :D
You, my man, win a prize!!!

*hands rope made of spiderweb silk to zgwortz*

I luuuuuuv JCSS - the original recording. While I probably don't know 80% of the lyrics, I know a bunch.

Sings: "Come to me, Jesus Christ! You have been brought here, manacled, beaten, by your own people, do you have the first idea why you deserve it?"
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

LadySheDevil
Tittycakes

Post by LadySheDevil »

thaldin wrote:Dinosaurs!
Very, very YES!! :x

Alf, too... And OMG, Fraggle Rock!

Anyone else find themselves inexplicably drawn to Today's Special? I loved Sam...
Vanishing Elder of the Noms; She who Plays With Madness; One Among the Fence; Tittycake Mistress.

~* \m/ Music is Love. \:D/ *~ ~* :-B Gaming too! :-B *~

Winner: Wet T-Shirt Contest, Ladies Division June '10

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

I always watched Bill Nye and another sciencey show with a mad scentist, his female assistant, and a fat guy in a rat suit. I can't remember the name of the show... but anyway, I also watched a show on PBS of these two guys who predated Steve Irwin in the crazy, find weird animals out in the wild show. Can't remember that show either. I watched Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego, and never got into Wishbone.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

LadySheDevil
Tittycakes

Post by LadySheDevil »

midgetshrimp wrote:I always watched Bill Nye and another sciencey show with a mad scentist, his female assistant, and a fat guy in a rat suit. I can't remember the name of the show... but anyway, I also watched a show on PBS of these two guys who predated Steve Irwin in the crazy, find weird animals out in the wild show. Can't remember that show either. I watched Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego, and never got into Wishbone.
All I had in my room at one point was PBS... Carmen Sandiego... <3 And I adored Wishbone... And the animal show you're thinking of was Kratt's Creatures... Also love!
Vanishing Elder of the Noms; She who Plays With Madness; One Among the Fence; Tittycake Mistress.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

LadySheDevil wrote: And the animal show you're thinking of was Kratt's Creatures... Also love!
That might be it... but it's had a bunch of different names over the years. They had the little cartoon armadillo in the first release of the show. In later years they had a stuffed lemur, when it was Zaboomafoo.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

LadySheDevil
Tittycakes

Post by LadySheDevil »

Hmm, I only knew that one with Zaboomafoo... lol I couldn't watch it with my sister around, he scared her... And the Kratt brothers were in that one, too. That much I remember.

Ithilion

Post by Ithilion »

does anyone besides me remember Krull? ...or Legend, for that matter
Last edited by Ithilion on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cave Elder: Keeper of the Garden, Zen Master of Shadows

Member of the Dream Team

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Ithilion wrote:does anyone besides me remember Krull? ...or Legend, for that matter
Certainly! Legend is still considered a cult film favorite by many of my friends... beautiful to look at, but not always making the best sense or told the most lucidly. Both versions of the film are quite good. And Krull - :)) . Infamously bad, in an entertaining way. I had actually been bought the VHS by my step-mother one Christmas, didn't watch it for months until I decided on a lazy Saturday to watch it with my pal Zeus... and we couldn't stop laughing at it. We just kept seeing how desperately it tried to be a fantasy version of Star Wars.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

zgwortz
D.O.M.

Post by zgwortz »

Don Alexander wrote:*hands rope made of spiderweb silk to zgwortz*
* Carefully coils rope and adds it to the natural fiber collection next to the cloud silk rope and the dragon whisker rope *
Don Alexander wrote:Sings: "Come to me, Jesus Christ! You have been brought here, manacled, beaten, by your own people, do you have the first idea why you deserve it?"
And Pilate is my favorite part, too. Although I really prefer Pilate's Dream as my favorite piece:

I dream't, I met a Galilean;
A most amazing man.
He had that look you very rarely find;
The haunted, hunted kind...
-->Steve
D.O.M.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

zgwortz wrote:And Pilate is my favorite part, too. Although I really prefer Pilate's Dream as my favorite piece:

I dream't, I met a Galilean;
A most amazing man.
He had that look you very rarely find;
The haunted, hunted kind...
And then, the room was full of wild and angry men
They seemed to hate this man
They fell on him and then...
They disappeared again.

:x

Yes, one of my favorite pieces too.

Edit: @Ithilion. These were discussed a bit in the Film thread. I recently finally watched Legend (it seems, the original version, I got it very cheaply on DVD), and, to tell the truth, I thought it sucked. One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Sure, it's quite beautiful, and the Devil is awesome, but most of the story is so blaaaah...
Krull. Haven't seen it in a coon's age, but I really liked it back in the day. Maybe I'd revise my opinion if I saw it now.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

LadySheDevil wrote:
midgetshrimp wrote:I always watched Bill Nye and another sciencey show with a mad scentist, his female assistant, and a fat guy in a rat suit. I can't remember the name of the show... but anyway, I also watched a show on PBS of these two guys who predated Steve Irwin in the crazy, find weird animals out in the wild show. Can't remember that show either. I watched Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego, and never got into Wishbone.
All I had in my room at one point was PBS... Carmen Sandiego... <3 And I adored Wishbone... And the animal show you're thinking of was Kratt's Creatures... Also love!
I loved those shows! I also liked the magic school bus. And Digimon. As for books, I was a big reading dork. By the time I was 6 I'd already read the Lord of the Rings. My teacher's thought I was insane, I got sent in for about a billion IQ tests :))

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

cyanide_sweet wrote:I loved those shows! I also liked the magic school bus. And Digimon. As for books, I was a big reading dork. By the time I was 6 I'd already read the Lord of the Rings. My teacher's thought I was insane, I got sent in for about a billion IQ tests :))
:-o

Elebenty baboobazillion geek points and :ymhug: for you. Now talk about being precoscious and having a good taste!

No, it took me a lot longer to read it... In my last school year, when I was 19 already...

As some of you may know (this, at least, is the story as I know it), The Hobbit and LOTR remained reasonably obscure after publication, until the hippies came along, thought the Hobbits were awesome fantasy hippies, and made the books wildly popular.

My dad, who was utterly :ymsick: of the whole student revolution stuff, developed a hate against LOTR without even having read the books. If the hippies loved it, it must be shite.

So while my mom had loads of SF and horror novels for me to read while growing up, we did not have LOTR, which my dad basically refused to have in his house. Until I just went ahead and bought them. And proved him to be an uttler fool.

Should I mention that he is a big fan of the movies??? =))
ImageImage

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

That's hilarious! I love Tolkein. Other that LOTR and though Hobbit though, it took my a while to get to his other stuff. I didn't read Sillmarion(sp?) until grade 4 :))

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

cyanide_sweet wrote:That's hilarious! I love Tolkein. Other that LOTR and though Hobbit though, it took my a while to get to his other stuff. I didn't read Sillmarion(sp?) until grade 4 :))
Silmarillion. Since you asked. :P

It's my favorite book by JRR. But it took me three weeks to slog through.
ImageImage

Ithilion

Post by Ithilion »

wish I could include Tolkien in here, with the stuff I was exposed to during my childhood... the sad truth however is that I only got a chance to read the books when I was around 20... but then, I went wild with it... read The Fellowship of the Ring in two days (was taking my time to memorise all the names and locations) needed a day for each of the remaining two parts of LotR, then one more day for the Silmarillion... and roughly two more days for the rest of Tolkien's Middle Earth related books

did I mention I'm a fast reader? ...yeah, you've probably guessed already

and what did I read as a kid? ...pretty much everything I could get my hands on... from toothpaste labels to Russian classics, including a healthy dose of Asimov and that Jules Verne guy
Last edited by Ithilion on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cave Elder: Keeper of the Garden, Zen Master of Shadows

Member of the Dream Team

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy.