Super Secret Santa Sign-up!

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Re: Super Secret Santa Sign-up!

Post by Asaryu »

Hooray! I wonder who I'll get...*ponders* :ymdaydream:
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

What happens if there's an odd number? :( I have bad luck and that's likely to be me, so I wanna know!

Nathan Dorian

Post by Nathan Dorian »

Nathan here. :'D

I love Secret Santas.

stephaielikes

Post by stephaielikes »

Nothing! Let me explain it visually.

Let's say we have persons A, B, C, D and E entering.
They're then assigned the numbers 1-5.
A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5
So, we take person one, and do a RNG between the parameters of 1 and 5. Let's say we get 3.
Person A would then be giving a gift to person C.
We continue this for each person down the line, so B may receive A, C, D or E, etc etc.
The last 'pair' (i.e. one person with no-one to give to and one person with no-one to give) are put together; so E will be put with one who hasn't yet been chosen.
It doesn't matter how many people enter, as people do not buy for the same person they receive from. (Edit: Unless, by coincidence, this happens to occur.)
:)
'Did you just squeeze my butt?'
'You must not know fear. Fear is the butt-killer.'
'...was that... Doom?'

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Surely, let's say...A gives to C, and B gives to D...that leaves E without a partner?

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Phoenix wrote:Surely, let's say...A gives to C, and B gives to D...that leaves E without a partner?
No. It's not a paired exchange like that. You still have A and B to give to. So E would give to B, D would give to A, and C would give to E.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

But doesn't that mean that some people will get more gifts than others, and some may go without? Say if two people are giving to C, then one of the others goes without a gift cos one has doubled up. Surely we could just draw names from a hat. So that, in the alphabet case, if A draws C, then C is removed from the list of people that can be drawn, so B has A, D or E that they can choose? That way one isn't getting a gift for themselves, and no-one is left without a gift.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I consider steph intelligent enough to punch the RNG in the face b-( until everyone gets exactly one present from a single other person. and sorry for posting twice in this thread. #-o
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

No double posting! *bops Don* :ymdevil:

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Asaryu wrote:But doesn't that mean that some people will get more gifts than others, and some may go without? Say if two people are giving to C, then one of the others goes without a gift cos one has doubled up. Surely we could just draw names from a hat. So that, in the alphabet case, if A draws C, then C is removed from the list of people that can be drawn, so B has A, D or E that they can choose? That way one isn't getting a gift for themselves, and no-one is left without a gift.
That's the concept in action here. All people go in once, and when they're picked, they're good to go. It's a solid system. Two people won't be giving to C, because C will only get picked once for gifts. It's just like drawing names from a hat, just without the hat.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Dryope

Post by Dryope »

I wanna sign up, I wanna sign up! I'll work hard to get something in on time. >_<
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Bear wrote:No double posting! *bops Don* :ymdevil:
Wow. Just wow. You double-post to tell me not to double post, after several other forumites have already double-posted.

And all that to once again give you one of your great "threatens Don" schoolyard-bully jokes... :|

You seem to fail to notice that the only problem this forum has (except for a slight excess of going off topic, which neither myself nor the other people were doing here, except for you again) is your behaviour toward certain people. #-o

Everyone who feels there is reason to comment on this, go to the Elder Cave and see what Asaryu wrote/did. X(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Ah.... shhh... If no-one can get the double joke of me double posting to tell Don not to double post thats their problem. 8-|

thaldin

Post by thaldin »

Sure why not =)

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks MS. I getcha. Don't see how it'll work, but it's only a bit of fun I guess!