Eerie Cuties - The Comic Strip Collection Discussion

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

albert.aribaud

Re: Eerie Cuties - The Comic Strip Collection Discussion

Post by albert.aribaud »

Panchocheesecake wrote:Is there a better way to share the walpaper because, honestly, it seems like it could easily be uploaded to photobucket and just take it from there for free. I wouldn't do that, but pretty sure that eventually someone will.
<span style: "mode: serious; long">

Foreword: I don't take sides on the whole question of intellectual property, I'm just explaining.

Once and for all: there is *no* way you're going to be able to control what people do with digital media, unless you control the whole chain, that is the media, the site which serves it, the network which conveys it, the computer (or phone, or...) that receives it, and I certainly forget some. You can put every effort in trying to ensure your grip on it; it simply will not work. Think DVDs and DeCSS, HDTV and the recent leak of the master key (and even before the leak), Blu-ray and AACS, generally any audio on the web and most of the video as well. Heck, even before the intarweb was there, back in the mid-eighties, you could find schematics for escaping this godawful Macrovision protection device that was plaguing many SCART-equipped VCRs, and even before that, when France introduced its first scrambled TV channel, descramblers became available quite quickly. And now it's worse of course, since as soon as someone knows how to break a protection, everybody knows it.

So either you decide that no one should be free to access the info they want with the equipment they chose to use, or you reckon that you cannot fully control your digital media. But you can try something.

Big companies don't build a relationship with their customers beyond "you pay and I let you watch", therefore customers or even prospects don't feel any remorse when the consider the company is screwing them on the "let you watch" side -- already some online music services have closed down causing their ex customers to lose the ability to listen to the music they'd paid for; but the screwing is apparent in more subtle things such as forcing you to go through ten minutes of ads before getting to the main menu of that disc, for instance. To people the deal is simple: they pay once and for all; they expect to get the media once and for all.

That's probably different with more indie productions. You get to build a relationship with authors -- possibly even sometime feeding back to them to the point that this affects the media they produce :) -- so when you get to deal with them, it's not only about money. It's also about being nice(r) to each other (than when dealing with, or being, WorldCo, Inc.) and that is probably a more efficient way of controlling extra media such as the wallpapers here, because the control is voluntary on the part of the reader: you trust him not to -- as opposed to WorldCo, Inc. which wants/orders you not to.

But still, one jerk is enough to ruin the whole thing and upload this to some sharing site. As an author, you can't avoid it. What you can do at best is make it so that if people get to see the wallpaper, they might want to see more of your production, so you put indications in the wallpaper such as the site address; and somehow you count on the friendship of your readership to at least let you know when the wallpaper is up for grabs somewhere, so that you can either have it taken down, or properly attributed; and you regulary prepare something new to give your loyal readers because if you can't give them true exclusivity, you can at least make sure they's always the first to get things.

And heck! Leaks are publicity, after all.

</span>
Last edited by albert.aribaud on Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert -- would you like to read EC, MC, and DC at least one week late and in French?

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Gotta say, I love the cropped cover pic of Layla that you are using for the vertical ad. As much of a spoiled brat that she is, she still is a pretty girl when she smiles.
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

theodoric476

Post by theodoric476 »

I just ordered ML3 book 2, is there any way I could upgrade that to the collecter's edition?
Birds of a feather flock together,
And so will pigs and swine;
Rats and mice will have their choice,
And so will I have mine. Nursery Rhyme

I may disagree with you but I am pretty sure you are not a NAZI Jon Steward/ The Daily Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiGmgqW6ES8 State Rep. Maureen Walsh (WA. 16th district. R)

We have no enemies, only opponents Ronald Reagan

What luck that men do not think. Adolf Hitler

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

theodoric476 wrote:I just ordered ML3 book 2, is there any way I could upgrade that to the collecter's edition?
Just looked, and the book was shipped last Wednesday, so we can't send you a signed book at this point of vol 2 of Ma3. For the postcards, maybe we can add them to your EC order, email me for details if you're interested.

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Y'all are evil with having the banner having more teases for the 'bikini' cards... and as for which one, based on Layla's expression, I think he might not be having such a good time in that pic... :ymdevil:

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

;)

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Yep, that verifies it... They're evil (as if there was any doubt). :ymdevil:

Any idea when they might ship?

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Sending everything off to the printer tomorrow or Tuesday. Hoping to have everything in hand on Friday the 12th. We sign over that weekend, and start shipping on Monday the 15th. That's the plan anyway. :)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Got my order in, Yay! :D :ymparty: Glad my check came in in time. #:-s
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

:ymhug:

Eris Lobo

Post by Eris Lobo »

Say ... although it's too late (or is it?) to send out to people who order the collection, is there any chance there might be a fifth bikini postcard -- with Grace? (I think that alone would make the collection worth buying ... =^.^= )
Rowlf!!!

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Because of paper size at the printers, to add one card would mean to add 2, and that would increase costs overall. There's always a next time. :)

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

How about a downloadable pic... maybe putting the URL on the reciept when the book comes in. Then again, while I think Grace is cute, I'm not sure I wanna a pinup of her. :ymsick: :))

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Of all girls, our lolly-sucking lolita seems the most unperturbed by having her bikini stolen! :D
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

WCRI

Post by WCRI »

. . . But... her bikini top is still on... does that mean that Blair somehow managed to nab Nina's bikini bottom?
Oh, Tiff. Got a body that don't quit and a brain that won't start. By AbstractVagabond
You know, for a major magical watchamacallit-thingy as powerful as this one, it's remarkably easy to activate. Just point and click. By duneshdw