Most hated character?

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Which Ma3verse character do you find the least tolerable/most irritating?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Amber (Ma3/SDB)
No votes
Angel (SDB/Ma3)
No votes
Didi (Ma3)
No votes
Dillon (Ma3/SDB)
60%
Domenico (SotR)
No votes
Erik (Ma3/SDB)
No votes
Gary (Ma3)
No votes
Jerzy (SDB)
No votes
Kiley (Ma3)
No votes
Matt (Ma3/SDB)
No votes
Ruby (SDB)
No votes
Sandra (freckled Carmen Chamelia lookalike, Ma3/SotR)
No votes
Senna (transsexual model, Ma3/SotR)
No votes
Sonya ("not a lesbian", Ma3)
No votes
Takeru (Yuki's dad, Ma3)
30%
Tatiana (SotR/Ma3)
No votes
Yuki (Ma3)
No votes
Zii (Ma3)
10%
Zoe (SotR)
No votes
OTHER (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 10

Zippy

Most hated character?

Post by Zippy »

In light of a certain discussion in another thread recently, I thought this would be... interesting :)

[The poll is limited to 20 options, so there are definitely some obvious ones missed out. I fixed it so that most of the most-appeared characters are on the list, but shuffled it a tad to get a couple of the most obvious options that haven't appeared quite as much on it. The most important characters who "missed out" include Alex & Marie (SotR), Andy (SDB), Cammi (SotR), Chanelle (Ma3), Jacob (SDB), Junghan (Ma3), Lavali (SotR), Nathan (Ma3), Peggy (Ma3), Pierre (SotR) and Tristan (SotR). And the notes beside the various S****a characters are because they get mixed up so much!]

Spidrift

Re: Most hated character?

Post by Spidrift »

If you're going to play at fictional lynch mobs, then missing out Nathan is just bizarre. He's one of the few characters in the setting who I could guarantee has no admirers whatsoever.

However, fictional contemptibility has as many twists and angles as an H.P.Lovecraft monster. Being a good villain is different to being dislikeable, and both are different to reducing the interest value of a comic just by appearing. So, no vote from me.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

I thought I would find no character I despise enough to answer the poll, then I saw Takeru... #-o
Here goes my vote ! I guess there's no need for explications. :ymsigh:

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I hate Takeru too. He's one of the few characters who I find their actions unforgivable.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

TheDude
Resident Redhead

Post by TheDude »

I don't do hate.
"Time spent in happy delusion is never wasted." Frazz by Jef Mallet

"We fear change." Garth Algar

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Spidrift wrote:If you're going to play at fictional lynch mobs, then missing out Nathan is just bizarre. He's one of the few characters in the setting who I could guarantee has no admirers whatsoever.

However, fictional contemptibility has as many twists and angles as an H.P.Lovecraft monster. Being a good villain is different to being dislikeable, and both are different to reducing the interest value of a comic just by appearing. So, no vote from me.
There's a difference between "love-to-hate" and "think they're a detriment to the comic", as shown in the recent SDB thread that inspired this poll. Hence why I phrased the actual question the way I did.

[As for Nathan, I couldn't even get the entire main cast of all three comics into the poll! (SotR is particularly shorted.) I stretched a point with Takeru, because he's been the basis of Yuki's entire messed-up personality, but Nathan wasn't really major enough to displace anyone remaining...]

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

But different people have different definitions of these terms, and attach different levels of importance to things. I can't see this as a meaningful question - especially when you've already let some of your own biases apply.

I agree that Takeru is worse than Nathan (he actually caused serious damage to a child - his own daughter, even - whereas Nathan just makes clumsy and obvious attempts to exploit people who should be old enough not to fall for it). But those are the only two characters in the setting who actually give me twinges of anger rather than just making me roll my eyes; leaving either of them off the quiz renders it pointless to me.

Plus, importance to the story confuses things further. Takeru or Nathan might annoy some reader enough that they spoil a strip just by appearing in it. (A crazy attitude in my book, but...) But they only appear once in a blue moon, so who cares! The big row over on the SDB boards is not unrelated to the fact that it's his own comic.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

my hatred is a precious and finite resource, which i don't waste on people who don't actually exist.
Yet still, I live...

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

8-|

As if we needed any more inflammatory stuff on these boards.

Locked and shelved.

Dillon was leading anyway in what did not look like a tight race.

The DAMNed
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)