Menage a 3 - Vol 6 : Discussion

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Robert Nowall

Re: Menage a 3 - Vol 6 : Discussion

Post by Robert Nowall »

Here's what happened. I click on the Kickstarter link, and up comes a page with all the data on it. (Congratulations!) I click on "Back This Project." I enter $20 US (I'm good for it) and "no reward." I click on "Continue to Next Step." And I get "Sign Up---Log In With Facebook." That's where I draw the line, so to speak.

I'll buy the book when it's available to the general public.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Sigh...there's a create an account thing for Kickstarter. You CAN log in with Facebook, but you can also create an account with Kickstarter, which is what I did.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Robert Nowall wrote:I click on the Kickstarter link, and up comes a page with all the data on it. (Congratulations!) I click on "Back This Project." I enter $20 US (I'm good for it) and "no reward." I click on "Continue to Next Step." And I get "Sign Up---Log In With Facebook." That's where I draw the line, so to speak.

I'll buy the book when it's available to the general public.
And yet, some of us with no Facebook accounts have successfully backed the project. Therefore, it is available to the general public. Something's causing problems for you personally, but it appears to be a one-off issue.

Anyway, the only thing I can see odd in the process you describe is that you entered $20 US. The project isn't taking US dollars, it's taking Canadian money; it's up to your payment service (i.e. your credit card company) to convert that into your account currency. You may be confusing the system with that. Try entering $20 CAD and see what happens.

(Note: I have no connection to Pixietrix or Kickstarter. I'm just a puzzled bystander.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

https://www.kickstarter.com/signup?ref=nav

Note the "――――― or —————".

leftturnonly

Post by leftturnonly »

The swirly-go-round number is 555-467-6863 :)]

I called it and it worked for me~ :-=

Robert Nowall

Post by Robert Nowall »

A line below it seemed to convert US dollars to Canadian when I inputted "20"---came out 18 dollars---besides, US dollars are all I've got.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

leftturnonly wrote:The swirly-go-round number is 555-467-6863 :)]

I called it and it worked for me~ :-=
in google search of that number, all I could find is something about screwdriver bits

must be a page of Sandra

http://www.gianteagle.com/ProductImages ... 757474.jpg
ImageImage

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Spidrift wrote:Frankly, in Pixietrix's shoes, and assuming that they got their original budgeting about right, I'd be sore tempted to smile, cancel the hints of future stretch goals, stop posting much to the Kickstarter comments section, and go away and get on with the production work on the books. I mean, why not? They're three and a half times over basic budget already, and nobody would be able to say that they weren't going to get anything they'd been promised. Terribly un-geeky of me to think that way, I know, but really, why not?
Actually, Kickstarter has this thing that all the money made in the Kickstarter has to go to the project and not profit, so if the money goes beyond the pledges, the people who run the Kickstarter are kinda-sorta forced to come up with stretch goals to in-a-sense explain where the money will go, so we can't really just not put in stretch goals. (though I'm not running the Menagé à 3's Kickstarter, so when I say "we" I meant more in general-like)

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

...in which case, I suddenly wonder how it makes sense for PixieTrix to Kickstart the printing of this. If think you're going to struggle to make your target in the first place, or you need the money for R&D (or even kickstarting in advance of creation - i.e. Kickstarting Ma3 vol 7 and using the money for artist wages), then maybe it works. But if you've successfully printed and sold five previous volumes, what you say makes it sound like they're effectively penalising themselves by blowing past their target - it's one thing to need to spend all your target on it, but if you make five times your target...

[Definitely surprised Chloe v1 & EC/MC v4 haven't already been stretched for in this case, even if they're months away from being print-ready. Maybe reprints of EC/MC v0-3 & Ma3 v3-5 and increased runs of the new books as well.]

EDIT: Okay, I grant that I've not looked through every possible place, but I don't see where it requires that every penny you raise - even if you not only hit your target, but go over-target by a long way - goes toward the project as long as you manage to get all the promised rewards to the backers in the promised timeframe...

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Huh, I just looked through as well... way back when I was thinking of starting a Kickstarter (back in 2012) I saw a little rule that mention no profitting and that all the money should go into the project created... maybe it's in the guidelines when we start a project, I'm not sure...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I can imagine Kickstarter trying to say that the money has got to go to something "real" and not just someone's hookers-and-coke fund, but it's hard to see how they could phrase that effectively. If each copy of some book costs $10 to produce and I sell it for $12, then I could just say "a $12 donation gets you a copy of the book", and hey, I'm taking $2 profit on each copy, and if I spend that on rent and ramen to make it possible for me to live and do this stuff, or hookers and coke because hookers and coke, then that's my business not yours.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

does not the pledges eventually keep raising the number of copies needed to send? thus increasing the amount in costs to make the copies of season 6 of Ma3, and season 1s of SOTR and SDB? plus recopies of season 1 to 5 of Ma3?

looks like according to the kickstart people, the pledges should be ONLY for the printing costs(for example, for costumers the book would cost 10 dollars, but printing it cost only 3, thus, people can pledge "3" per order, and when the copies are made in 3 weeks or after, in another account separate from kickstar, people who want the book, will pay an additional 7(or maybe "just 6" as they helped fund the printing) to get the order, and those who did not fund kickstart, will pay the whole 10 dollars per book

not fund kickstart pay total of 10
those who funded kickstart willl pay a total of 9
ImageImage

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Je suggère que le prochain objectif du projet sur KickStart soit un voyage payé à la conviention Comiccon de Montréal pour tous les créateurs (dessinateurs, coloristes et auteurs).

Pour 10,000$, ils pourront se déplacer à Montréal pour cet événement (surtout Shouri qui est loin en Argentine). Ça a lieu en semptembre, à peu près au même moment où les livres seront prêt, alors ils pourraient même aidé Gisèle et Dave a dédicacer les livres. Un SDB signé par Dahling et un SOTR signé par Eisu, ça me plait!

---
(sorry for bad English Translation)

I suggest that next reward on the KickStart being a paid expense trip for all the creators (art, color, text) to get together and be at ComicCon Montreal in September.

For 10,000$, I think they could travel to Montreal (especialy Shouri who is far). It happen about when the book will be ready so they could put their signatures on the art too! SDB signed by Dahling and a SOTR signed by Eisu, that would be great.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

:ymdevil:
Attachments
Ma3.png
Ma3.png (249.77 KiB) Viewed 5861 times
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

I think we need to reduce the stigma of that number, and my position on that has nothing to do with my three names each having six letters :p
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh