I have a Dream...finally, fulfilled!

The storage stacks of forum memories past.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

oni
BANNED

I have a Dream...finally, fulfilled!

Post by oni »

Acceptance Speech P.1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrXkBuWNx88

Acceptance Speech P.2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02BV5Zah1Tw

Acceptance Speech P.3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69JeattgAqI

Granddaddy of 'em All:
McCain's concession speech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZmyLAdiuzk

I hope this is legible for all to comprehend my exact thoughts, feelings, and hopefully me being little bit choked up. ... I have NEVER, before up until now from being a toddler to being legally able to cast my vote any Presidential race or elections where so many people are both smiling with tears streaming down their faces effect me on multiple levels. Accustomed to the political corruption here in Florida, farther south in counties called Dade and Broward. Images so negative aired by media, drug trafficking helps to escalate violence pitting many ethnic groups against each other; Blacks against the latinos, latinos against the blacks, blacks against the Haitians, Haitians against the Jamaicans, Jamaicans against the Hatians. Until eventually it's Latino's, Hatians, Jamaicans turning on the Blacks (street gangs: Crips and Bloods). While decent families of all backgrounds get caught up in the crossfire!
...It almost happened again this time like the 2000 election, however, the people of Florida stood up to the bullying, got wise and waited in line until in the wee hours to cast their vote. Gives a whole new meaning of "We the People!". Florida is the only southern state in America to hold more diversity compared to any other, not even Texas or Georgia can compete! :mrgreen:

Point of all this is that it felt right unlike the previous ones, this presidential election from beginning to end by far the most emotional ever! Again say whatever you want regarding 'x' senator lack of experience or 'y' senator (ageism), and 'z' under qualified male/female for V.P.; None of that matters anymore because Obama winning felt right to me. Not saying this because our shared skin color, but out of all the candidates who ran for president this one just looked the part, and did everything right in traveling to foreign lands as an Ambassador not Mcain who is for continuing the war with a $1.2 Trillion deficit.

Hopefully the rest of the world won't view us as like America the Bully under this current (soon to be former) administration.
Last edited by oni on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Re: I have a Dream...finally, fulfilled!

Post by Asaryu »

I have to say I'm glad, too.

I'm not American, but I'm really really glad Obama got in. The election was the day after our Melbourne Cup which is called "the race that stops a nation". One of the headlines that we had over here was "The nation that stopped a race. Until Now."

But like you said, it's not his race that makes me happy he's President. It's his dignity, he seems to tell the truth even when it would be easier to lie, he's human and compassionate, intelligent but not inaccessible. There's just something ...Presidential about him.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, I am very hopeful too. Though one should be a bit cautious, as he has a HUGE mess to clean up!!

But it's SO nice to know it will not just be politics as usual from now on.

The rest of the world is looking at you now, America. Eight years of G. W. Bush have turned you from "the land of unlimited possibilities" to possibly the most vilified nation on Earth (while countries like Iran or North Korea suck more big-time, it's the US that actually has the huge influence on all of mankind...). Now it's time to get up and come back.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

oni
BANNED

Post by oni »

Don Alexander wrote:Well, I am very hopeful too. Though one should be a bit cautious, as he has a HUGE mess to clean up!!

But it's SO nice to know it will not just be politics as usual from now on.

The rest of the world is looking at you now, America. Eight years of G. W. Bush have turned you from "the land of unlimited possibilities" to possibly the most vilified nation on Earth (while countries like Iran or North Korea suck more big-time, it's the US that actually has the huge influence on all of mankind...). Now it's time to get up and come back.
1. I apologize for earlier telling you to STFU (though don't recall but is over with)
2. The U.S. citizens have been knocked around very hard! Small media like LinkTV, public broadcasting, even university student protesters from prestigious colleges against the war were placed on the CIA list as possible threat to national security! Hell man, freedom of the press is nearly wiped out. Have you noticed the NEW YORK times is gone...hmm? Internet News dominate <----if your an alt2600 or 80's hacker can appreciate the irony| BUT BLOGGING NEWS wtf??? We have a long way until we can get back on our feet.

Asaryu wrote:I have to say I'm glad, too.

I'm not American, but I'm really really glad Obama got in. The election was the day after our Melbourne Cup which is called "the race that stops a nation". One of the headlines that we had over here was "The nation that stopped a race. Until Now."

But like you said, it's not his race that makes me happy he's President. It's his dignity, he seems to tell the truth even when it would be easier to lie, he's human and compassionate, intelligent but not inaccessible. There's just something ...Presidential about him.

I totally agree with you on this, Asaryu, through-out the entire campaign mud slinging with negative xenophobism perpetrated by the media comparisons being muslim or anything else for that matter he just shrugged it off. My mother said he just has that leadership quality about him just was born to be a leader.
And about this Melbourne Cup got a link or snippet to read?
Last edited by oni on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

oni
BANNED

Post by oni »

You know this is so very true, being part Jamaican has helped me to deal with a lot of the stereotype I found to be well rather trivial could also be why half the times could never get along with those whose roots aren't soiled else where but in America.
Thank You for this one A. Colin Powell was mentioned even....wow! :shock: :o ;)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

oni wrote:Grandaddy of 'em All:
McCain's Consession speech
Wow. Class act. :!: No wonder the hardcore Republicans did not like him. I sincerely hope he will get a position in Obama's government. Secretary of State maybe, or Defense?

Just please don't let Palin out of Alaska again... :?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Ithilion

Post by Ithilion »

I'm not sure if I am more glad about Obama being the next PotUS or Palin NOT being it (yeah, yeah, she'd be VP till McCain died or something) ...that woman scared the crap out of me...

in any case, Obama IS your 44th President (i guess I should say "our" since the actions of PotUS traditionally affect my part of the world too) and the fact he is no WASP hints at two things... Americans either grew up or they wanted out bad enough to ignore his race.. that said, i hope whoever voted for him did so because of his views (or at the very least because of mccain's views), not because of his race

and yeah, McCain's speech made him look ...well, not that bad really, I wonder if he would have won, had he said all that before the end... of course if McCain/Palin won, half the civilised world would commit seppuku just to avoid the next four years
Last edited by Ithilion on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cave Elder: Keeper of the Garden, Zen Master of Shadows

Member of the Dream Team

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

Ithilion wrote:of course if McCain/Palin won, half the civilised world would commit seppuku just to avoid the next four years
We had our election late last year, and I made a pact with a bunch of people that if John Howard got in again, we would all move to New Zealand. There's no-where I can move that won't be affected by US politics. So I'm glad for that reason as well.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Asaryu wrote:We had our election late last year, and I made a pact with a bunch of people that if John Howard got in again, we would all move to New Zealand. There's no-where I can move that won't be affected by US politics. So I'm glad for that reason as well.
We could all chip in, buy an island somewhere and start our own nation...

aishabe

Post by aishabe »

Don Alexander wrote:
oni wrote:Grandaddy of 'em All:
McCain's Consession speech
Wow. Class act. :!: No wonder the hardcore Republicans did not like him. I sincerely hope he will get a position in Obama's government. Secretary of State maybe, or Defense?

Just please don't let Palin out of Alaska again... :?
Because she can see Russia from her house?
:lol:

Anyways, what I really wanted to say:
NADERRRRRRRRRR.
Lady High Vice Mistress, Mistress of Vices

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

As Martin Luther King said "I have a dream, that my four young children will grow up in a world where a person is not judged by the colour of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Thank Gods that America finally stood up and took notice of that. Palin *shudders* I hated the women... she had no character. You know that she spent over $200,000 of campaign contributions on her own personal wardrobe? My favourite quote about her still is 'She's everything thats gross about a beauty pageant contestant, but without the desire for world peace.'

Now I just hope Obama does clear up the huge mess.... we can't have his new puppy chewing up the Oval office and leaving presents on the rug. ;)

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

I find it ridiculous that the news agencies are advertising this as important for the entire world, and a milestone for the entire world. Perhaps it escaped their notice that most world leaders are non-white, and always have been. Perhaps it also escaped their notice, well, USA politics only matters to the rest of us due to the USA's extensive military and economic activities in other nations, and mostly we don't like it.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Nathan Dorian

Post by Nathan Dorian »

I don't know a single person in the UK who hasn't been cheering.

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Nathan Dorian wrote:I don't know a single person in the UK who hasn't been cheering.
That's weird. I haven't seen or heard a single person here cheering. I've noticed several people commenting about how dumb it is that USA elections get more news coverage than our own elections.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.