Nerdy Vices?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

aishabe

Nerdy Vices?

Post by aishabe »

Just wondering, because of the recent discussion of Japanese films/animes/mangas and the obvious geeky overtones of MA3, what other nerdy things you people are into?
I'll wait for others before I list my meager interests... :D
Lady High Vice Mistress, Mistress of Vices

Zook

Re: Nerdy Vices?

Post by Zook »

Are you kidding? Try and beat this
Dungeons and Dragons. I play a mean Cleric.
Was a Star trek fan back in the day.
No girl and I am in my 30's. I am paradoxically somewhat handsome BTW.
am earnestly trying to win a nerd contest on MA3's forum, on a fri night.
Now if you'll excuse me I have to go have a drink.

aishabe

Post by aishabe »

BWAHAHA.
I always wanted to learn to play D&D.
Ah well.

Zook

Post by Zook »

Become part of a gaming group first. If you can find one and have the motivation to try playing then buy the core rulebook, Not the 4.0 D&D that just came out you wanna be part of a version 3.5 edition game. Being a Cleric doesn't sound sexy with the religous overtones but that template has teeth.

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

Zook wrote:Are you kidding? Try and beat this
Dungeons and Dragons. I play a mean Cleric.
Was a Star trek fan back in the day.
No girl and I am in my 30's. I am paradoxically somewhat handsome BTW.
am earnestly trying to win a nerd contest on MA3's forum, on a fri night.
Now if you'll excuse me I have to go have a drink.
I beat that before you were born. :twisted:
And I thought I’d already settled the question of who was the Elder Geek here.
And true geeks don’t drink ethanol, although technically you only implied you did, you didn’t actually say you did. So you’re off the hook for that one. :P
But don’t worry, that means you still get to swim in the gene pool! Count yourself lucky. :lol:
I think outside the tesseract.

dianekikiula

Post by dianekikiula »

Female gamer trumps all. Because I'm female. :P

Computer gamer (strategy, FPS, RPG, MMORPG), D&D and old World of Darkness (played and GM'd Werewolf, mostly), occasional console gamer.

I run my gaming group's forum. (http://uprpg.freeforums.org)

Am enough of an otaku to have started my alma mater's second anime club (the first one was shoujo and too internally political), which specializes in mecha, comedy, and space.
Favorite series: Neon Genesis Evangelion, followed by Death Note and Bleach (at least for the first story arc ...)

Engaged, but currently separated from, a geek who would play Starcraft over a 56k modem ... and also downloaded 6Gigs of anime music videos over said modem. He works at a game store.

Oh, and I knit dice. :lol:

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

dianekikiula wrote:Female gamer trumps all. Because I'm female. :P

Computer gamer (strategy, FPS, RPG, MMORPG), D&D and old World of Darkness (played and GM'd Werewolf, mostly), occasional console gamer.

I run my gaming group's forum. (http://uprpg.freeforums.org)

Am enough of an otaku to have started my alma mater's second anime club (the first one was shoujo and too internally political), which specializes in mecha, comedy, and space.
Favorite series: Neon Genesis Evangelion, followed by Death Note and Bleach (at least for the first story arc ...)

Engaged, but currently separated from, a geek who would play Starcraft over a 56k modem ... and also downloaded 6Gigs of anime music videos over said modem. He works at a game store.

Oh, and I knit dice. :lol:
Sorry, not even close. You definitely count as a gamer grrl, but fall far short of Elder Geek. Some additional points, just for the purpose of piling on:
  • Started wargaming two years before Dungeons and Dragons first published in 1974. That just barely gets me the grognard title, an early form of gamer geek.
  • Memorized all 70-odd episode titles of the original Star Trek series when I was a kid. Could name the episode just by seeing the teaser.
  • Learned about formulae to calculate real planetary orbits so I could use them in a science fiction game.
Geeze, people, is this a title you really WANT to win off of me? I’m here to provide the bad example! :P

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

dianekikiula wrote:Engaged, but currently separated from, a geek who would play Starcraft over a 56k modem ... and also downloaded 6Gigs of anime music videos over said modem.
A masochist, eh?
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Pneumonica

Post by Pneumonica »

I've owned all three versions of the Star Trek RPG. And I have every published book of the Decipher version. I can even claim geek points by having bought the last Player's Guide ever sold by Decipher. And let's not even get into the Starfleet Universe...

I've played every edition of Dungeons and Dragons except fourth (I have no plans to play fourth). This includes Chainmail.

I own a copy of Metamorphosis Alpha. Not to mention the original 1st edition D&D books. (Oooh, demonic. :twisted: )

I've run Paranoia LARPs at conventions.

I still own a Commodore 64.

Fear my geekdom. :ugeek:
Further affiant sayeth not.

fuzzybeard2016

Post by fuzzybeard2016 »

Nerdy Vices...hmmm...

1) Addicted to (diet) Mountain Dew (Type II Diabetic)
2) Star Trek Geek from all the way back in the day (Own a lot of first edition paperbacks.)
3) Rocky Horror Picture Show Fan and cast member (Eddie/Dr.Scott)
4) Incorrigible gadget freak
5) Glued to my computer at 01:44 local time, instead of being in bed asleep with my wife.
6) Beer snob

more later. :geek:
Rockhound: Why do I do this? Because the money's good, the scenery changes and they let me use explosives, okay?
"Armageddon" (1998/I)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120591/

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

Pneumonica wrote:I've owned all three versions of the Star Trek RPG. And I have every published book of the Decipher version. I can even claim geek points by having bought the last Player's Guide ever sold by Decipher. And let's not even get into the Starfleet Universe...

I've played every edition of Dungeons and Dragons except fourth (I have no plans to play fourth). This includes Chainmail.

I own a copy of Metamorphosis Alpha. Not to mention the original 1st edition D&D books. (Oooh, demonic. :twisted: )

I've run Paranoia LARPs at conventions.

I still own a Commodore 64.

Fear my geekdom. :ugeek:
Your geekdom is strong—but mine is stronger. :ugeek: I played the FASA Star Trek RPG but did not own it. I had Metamorphosis Alpha for a time but traded or sold it. I played original D&D but skipped AD&D 1st Edition; I was in the annoying “find the perfect rules” stage of gaming at that time and disdained 1st Ed as a “paint job and a tune up on something that needed a complete overhaul”. I played other games until 2nd Ed. I have no plans to get 4th at this time; I’m not killing running campaigns like I did when 3rd came out because WotC feels it does not have enough of our money.

I sold my original D&D (brown box, not the later white box) books in high school. The original brown box had disintegrated, so I welded a metal box out of 1/16” thick sheet iron in metals class to replace it. I also welded a 3” cube out of the same metal and drilled holes in it to make it a 6-sided die that no one dared roll on the gaming table for the damage it might cause.

I never played the newer version of Chainmail but I did play (and still own) the silver-covered version of Chainmail (3rd Edition), published by TSR even before D&D.

I still have issue #1, #2, #3, #4 and #6 of Dragon magazine and all the Strategic Reviews (the magazine that predated Dragon) but the very first.

I don’t play LARPs but they are not a geek prerequisite.

I used to own a TRS-80 (“Trash 80”) Model I, which predates the C64. I learned my first programming in BASIC on my high school’s old Altair microcomputers, which predate even that.

I realize I’m really dating myself here—but then again, who else would want to? :lol:
Last edited by Retiarius on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

aishabe

Post by aishabe »

Aww, I feel so lame now.
I'm no geek.
Oh well.

1.Can tell you the plot of any Family Guy episode if you give me the title, because I've seen each episode at least seven times.
2.Can name over fifteen Elphabas and somewhere from 10-15 Galindas from the play Wicked, who I like, who I don't like, and why I do or do not like each.
(Yes, I'm a geek of the Broadway variety.)
3.Memorized the entire Wicked soundtrack, working on the RENT MOVIE soundtrack, will then move onto RENT play soundtrack.
4.Addicted to Star Wars. I own an R2-D2 Astromech droid that I got for Christmas, who is adorableee.
5.Oh god, Harry Potter snob. Don't even get me started about the Epilogue and entire first half of book 7, OR the OOTP movie.
6.Fan of many animes and mangas. I shall attempt to list a few.
Mangas:
MARS, Marmalade Boy, Wish, Angelic Layer, Chobits, Azumanga Daioh, Kare Kano, Kodocha, Ranma 1/2, Absolute Boyfriend, Beauty Is The Beast, Beauty Pop, Land of the Blindfolded (basically anything Clamp that I can get my hands on, or anything shojo.)
Animes:
Marmalade Boy, Angelic Layer, Azumanga Daioh, Ranma 1/2, Kare Kano, Kodocha, Hale Nochi Guu, Pretear, former Inuyasha fan (but wayyyy too overrated these days. Much prefer Ranma.)

Umm, also in all AP classes (except math -.-), part of Stage Crew (DFU, Stage Right rules all), I work at a library, I spend all my free time reading. But you guys make me feel inadequate. I do not deserve to call myself a geek/nerd. Especially since my favorite Star Wars episode is Revenge of the Sith *shame shame*.
Last edited by aishabe on Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

fuzzybeard2016 wrote:Nerdy Vices...hmmm...

1) Addicted to (diet) Mountain Dew (Type II Diabetic)
2) Star Trek Geek from all the way back in the day (Own a lot of first edition paperbacks.)
3) Rocky Horror Picture Show Fan and cast member (Eddie/Dr.Scott)
4) Incorrigible gadget freak
5) Glued to my computer at 01:44 local time, instead of being in bed asleep with my wife.
6) Beer snob

more later. :geek:
Numbers #1, #2 and #4 earn you geek points. #3 does not as many non-geeks like the movie and participate—however, you also do not lose geek points for that. #6 is also irrelevant to being a true geek; in fact you may get dinged a point or two since geeks typically avoid ethanol. #5 would earn you geek points except you have a wife, which means you are technically in the gene pool, so that downgrades you to only nerd status. Sorry. :P

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

aishabe wrote:Aww, I feel so lame now.
I'm no geek.
Oh well.

Can tell you the plot of any Family Guy episode if you give me the title, because I've seen each episode at least seven times.
There is hope for you (or despair, depending on your point of view); your obsessive knowledge of Family Guy earns you many geek points. If you own the Blue Harvest DVD, that earns you even more. :ugeek:

Xselcier

Post by Xselcier »

Hmmm, let's see...

1. I play D&D, White Wolf, BESM, and will try most any pen & paper RPG put in front of me.
2. I read and collect comic books.
3. I built my own gaming computer.
4. I play Warhammer 40K.
5. I'm a huge Trekkie.
6. I'm a Browncoat and I aim to misbehave.
7. I've played City of Heroes since beta.
8. I own 50+ Star Wars novels, 10+ guidebooks, and all 6 movies.

I may not be the Elder Geek, but my geek fu is strong.
Last edited by Xselcier on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:27 am, edited 4 times in total.