The Cranky Couch.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: The Cranky Couch.

Post by yiraheerai »

My dad has this habit where he won't come to the table when food is ready. The plates will be set and dinner will be called and he'll say "Ok" and sit there. Sometimes he's doing something on his phone; sometimes he's watching TV. It just seems so completely RUDE. Especially when, like today, I had time to eat and take the dog outside.. and find him still sitting. That's like a good ten to fifteen minutes of him sitting there while food is getting cold.

And I only cooked today because he was rummaging through the freezer to find something to eat. My mom wants him to get something home cooked before he goes to work. So I asked him if he wanted me to make something and he said yes. So he was hungry and he wanted me to make something. And yet he still just.. sits there. It drives me nuts.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Took a picture of myself with a pocky stick in my mouth, trying to be playful. Ended up self-hating cause I've gained a lot of weight this past year and it shows and I hate it.

Friend from high school says" "you look like the penguin"

...Comment is hurting more than it probably should. Didn't exactly tell him to fuck off but maybe he'll get that's NOT SOMETHING YOU SAY to someone who doesn't like the way they look!
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Ithilion

Post by Ithilion »

...and I somehow managed to hard brick my phone. yay. :|

hopefully i'll be able to restore it once i get back home. really can't afford to get a new one
Cave Elder: Keeper of the Garden, Zen Master of Shadows

Member of the Dream Team

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

paws crossed
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

You are the second person to have phone problems today :( A friend of mine had a voice mail of their deceased brother on their phone too. They are DEVASTATED.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

At some point in the past, the manager for the local Subway sent a friend request on Facebook. Now, the other day I finally realized who she was and figured why not. Before that point, literally my only interactions with her was brief greetings at the restaurant and seeing her like some of her employees' (these are teens that like me) statuses. I commented on one post she shared saying that it was interesting that police groups hated and thought "please stop killing us" was a hateful message against police but still thought that appropriating their language, #bluelivesmatter, was perfectly okay, despite cops killing many more times as many people as cops even die on duty. Later, a post about how "racist" Beyonce's show/whatever was. Reading the linked article I got as far as them saying white privilege didn't exist before I decided to just post asking her if she really thought it didn't exist. A brother in law, I guess (because I didn't really care to check), basically wanted to prove to me that racism didn't exist. I just told him I was sorry for him and blocked him (because with no emotional investment in him, and it not directly impacting me, it just wasn't worth talking to a wall). Later his wife?, posted on the police one about how she needed to delete me because of being anti-police, which I am, and that my response to the blocked guy was to block him. So, I found out that it's obvious to blocked people that you've blocked them. I also found out that they were children of a cop. Later I found out that this sister of the manager thinks that trans people don't deserve basic respect of using correct pronouns for them if in their eyes you were disrespectful. But, in response to her post of being upset about me being anti-police, I posted a link to a story about the number of black lives taken by police in a year, and the official statistics for the number of police that died in the line of duty in a year. As well as explaining that no, I didn't know their dad was a cop, and didn't really know said manager at all, and also explaining that I was anti-police because I don't want to be killed with impunity. Being a white trans person, I'm probably okay as long as I don't interact with police at all ever, but all it takes is one person to stop me for speeding or something and see that M on my license and suddenly my body is found on the side of the road, or in jail because there are no official protections for trans people in this state.

I should block this sister too, and unfriend the manager, because she doesn't think racism is a big deal, which is a bold stand for a white person to take (sarcasm). But police brutality is a serious issue to me that does impact people like me, and I'm afraid that unfriending the manager of the restaurant I eat at at least a few times a week could lead to consequences like police being called for me using the bathroom. Of course arguing with racist and transphobic family members could also get me that result, but I kind of hope instead it leads to the two of them talking and the sister actually improving as a person. It's sad that these people live in such hateful worlds. I mean, it's bad enough to live in a world with hate in it, but can you imagine being hateful and thinking everyone else has as much hate as you? That's got to be horrible...

And I'm up because I don't handle confrontations or stress well and my brain likes to fixate on things, so yay, no sleep for me tonight.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

*hugs* I'm sorry. I don't think I've been blocked yet (though I have blocked a few people), so I'm not sure how it would feel to be blocked. To me, it wouldn't seem like a big deal? Or rather, that they're making a bigger deal out of it than it should be. :\ I wish I had advice. I would probably end up unfriending the manager but that's me assuming she'd be professional about her job and not let outside influences interfere with work.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

So tonight was pretty horrible. My mom, my uncle and I went to see Civil War only to see it taped on the door that it was sold out. So we goofed around until the next showing of Mother's Day which was something my mom wanted to see. Ok. Cool. Can I have a captioning device?

"I don't think we have that."

"You should. it's kind of the law." Plus I'd used it before. This is not my first rodeo. So she calls a manager with no answer so she calls another manager and searches for it while on the phone and hangs up when she finds it. She had trouble setting it up so she had to make another phone call and have the person tell her how. Not that it ended up mattering. When I set it to the number of the screen, it was showing The Jungle Book captions. I searched the other screens and got that it wasn't finding them. So I got to watch a movie with no captions. We got free tickets for the trouble, though I'm wondering if it's worth it to go there anymore. Not just because of the trouble this time but because this exchange happens with small degrees of variation EVERY SINGLE TIME I go. I'm going to try and talk to a manager (if I can get the guts to) about making the captioning devices a mandatory part of employee training- even if I'm the only one who ever needs to ask for it, cause this shit is ridiculous. It's the bare minimum of accommodation and I know they can do better than this.

So other than only getting bits and pieces of the movie (but at least enough to understand what was going on in the grand scheme of things), things were okay. Until I got home. There were ants all over the place. I looked for a source of why they're coming in and can't find anything. I vacuumed the area anyway and I'm wondering if it's not working properly. I've had to smack some ants off my arm and I punched one several times on the arm of the couch. Apparently, the softness of the chair made my fist less effective than it would have been otherwise.

So yes. It's been a bad day. I am still pretty riled up over the whole thing.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

grats on the initiative though
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Thanks. It can be really hard for me to stand up like that.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I loathe myself so much now... b-( b-( b-(

Parts of my village have parking prohibited on Monday (the part of my street entering the village) and Tuesday mornings, seven to nine (my actual street), because a little cleaning vehicle comes through. I always have to remember Tuesday, and it's become harder now that I often go play DSA on Mondays, so I come home after midnight and all the easy parking is gone.

But Monday per se is normally never a problem. This is Germany, everything's closed on Sunday, so I usually do not go anywhere. I just go shopping on Saturday, find a parking place in my street, and that's it.

But yesterday, despite it being just five in the afternoon, my street was completely full when I got back from my Magic pre-release tournament. That had worked out absolutely horrible, and I was in a really bad mood!!

Since I was not in the mood to go look for parking elsewhere, I just parked near the beginning of the village - already lots of free spaces. There was even a guy in a Mercedes standing right behind me who gave me a scowl, seems he was just letting someone out and now I had parked right in front of him, making his driving off ever so slightly more complicated...

I decided I'd just go out later and look again for a parking place, something might free up in my street - or, at the very least, I'd be fine with walking from somewhere else.

... and then of course I completely forgot about it. :|

The WORST thing is, I even woke up just a few minutes before seven!!!! And my only thought was that it was so wonderful I could go back to bed and sleep a few more hours. :( :( :( :(

I then woke up again at nine, and almost immediately remembered. I got dressed, rushed out - but I already saw the "Knöllchen" from right in front of my house. :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

Another 15 Euros simply down the drain. I can't afford this right now!!!! X( X( X(

And it's all my own fault. :ymsigh:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Something I hope ends up being nothing:

Quite a while ago, though I'm honestly not sure how long, Blind Ferret advertised a new animation they were doing. I tried to view it and found there were no captions so I sent a tweet to Sohmer to see if it would be possible. He said he would inquire about it. I never heard back.

Today, he announced that they were doing a series of short animations for Tiny Dick Adventures on YouTube. I thought "Oh, YouTube! They're pretty all right with captions," and tried to view it., Captions were not an option. So I inquired if he ever heard back about it. So far, there's been no answer. It's been pretty disappointing. I am going to give him some time to come up with an answer. I really do not want to push for it but he tries to build himself up as someone who cares about things and.. he doesn't seem like he cares right now.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

I feel cranky about this: The other day I got on the subway and I sat down. I was carrying a lap top, and a small bag. (I like to travel light, but I had a few extra items this time.) A woman got on and sat next to me, only she sat on the train's inner stairs. She looked big, strong, and possibly a generation younger than yours truly. She had luggage, but no cane, walker, etc. With a big smile she said "Well, this is typical of Boston. A disabled veteran doesn't even get a seat on the T" I looked her in the eye and said, "Are you disabled?" She told me that she is, I got up, and she said something like, "Oh, no you can stay there." I replied, "No, I insist." and I walked to another car, where I found another seat. PS I probably shouldn't have done this, but I glanced back to where we were, and she was still sitting on the stairs (!). PS I am and always have been,thoroughly anti-war. I agree with John F. Kennedy who said, "Mankind must put an end to war, or war will end mankind."

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

While it's getting resolved, I've been so stressed out over the fact that I'm moving at the end of the month. I'm moving into a trailer adjacent to my Mom's place... and because of a quirk of fate, was the same trailer I lived in with my paternal grandmother when I looked after her while she was terminally ill. Now, there was a family living there, but my Mom had been decent and told them 60 days before hand that they had to move out at the first of September. This would give us a full month to clean up and make some changes to the trailer. Only... the first of the month came, and they were still there.

We were worried because while they were paying month-to-month and didn't have a lease that they were simply going to 'squat' on the property. Which would cost us around $500 in filing and court fees to get them out, in addition to taking us about 45 days. Which would have meant that I would be out of my current apartment, and sleeping on my Mom's couch. I could do that, I'd live. Saskia was the one I was worried about. She's 12 now, and it's bad enough her having to go through one move, much less two within weeks of each other... plus, my Mom has two older dogs of her own. Saskia would have been miserable.

Thankfully, yesterday we got some good news. The family that's there has found a place to move into, and they should be out of the trailer within the week. Giving me still two weeks to clean it out and make the repairs we want to. Still, moving is stressful enough. Having this on my mind for the last month has given me tons of anxiety on top of everything else. I think I'll miss my current apartment, but at least where I'm moving to my Mom will live next door and I won't always be so alone.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Good luck sir <3
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh