The Cranky Couch.

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: The Cranky Couch.

Post by yiraheerai »

I feel you on that front, DnE. I'm going to have to move back to my parents' place at the end of the month due to being broke af. I wanted to try and move in the middle of the month so that they could clean if they needed to (though I think I did a good job of taking care of the place) and mom kind of chided me about giving them the extra time since I'm paying for the end of the month. Okay, I guess. I've never done this, I don't know the rules.

Tycho's going to be happy to be back there. Every time I take him over there, he tries to stay there. All of us being together is his happy place.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Cranky Couch update - "Good news, everyone!" (in a Professor Farnsworth voice)

It's official, I'll be able to move into my new place before the end of the month. In a week's time the other family is getting a moving van, so shortly after that I'll have plenty of time to start cleaning it out and making preparations. This is such a load off my mind. I'm still stressed, but at least a week after the move is done I'll be okay.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Excellent. /Montgomery Burns :P

Good news, indeed, DnE. :-bd
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

Gah. I should bow out of the current Dangerously Chloe thread, since the agita just isn't worth it, but I can't...it's like picking at a scab. It's unpleasant, but I just can't let it go.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I don't want to bite the hand that feeds me too much...

...but let's just say that for quite some time I've been exceptionally unhappy at the direction of every one of the Pixie Trix comics have gone. How the prevalence of sexual attraction and interaction without the least amount of consideration towards any romance has soured me... especially with my fairly recent realization of being demisexual. In fact, the absolute absence of any romantic element in any of these comics has me quite often forgetting in checking on the comics for weeks at a time.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Eh, I stopped reading them a long time ago. I'm sure I've missed some things I'd like to have seen, but overall, they weren't worth it to me any more.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I know what you mean.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I got the internet but since this is the Cranky Couch, you know something went wrong, right? Well, I changed the name and password to the router and it won't let me on. I typed in that password TWICE and apparently got it wrong both times cause every other time I've tried to log in, nothing happens. I should be able to reset it when I get home and hopefully it'll all be good. It just seems like the day kind of went downhill from there. Little things piling up and making me cranky. Sigh.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

That is so frustrating, Yira. I've been there... waiting for something for a while, finally getting around to it, only to find additional hurdles have sprung up. :( Hopefully, you'll get this fixed soon.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

So it turns out that the name of the wifi was set but the password didn't change which is unfortunate cause it's a pain in the ass. I can deal with it, though. This is fine.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I am getting self-conscious that I'm the only one who posts new stuff on here. Oh well.

Last night was pretty rough for me. I was feeling down for election reasons and told my Dad I was down and having a hard time coming to terms with things and started telling him about the attacks that have been happening and some of the stuff that my conservative friends have been saying about it. Instead of listening, he went on to tell me how old white men are the most hated group in America, racism is over for Mexicans, Blacks, and whatever else. That it's okay to be prejudiced because it's good for your self esteem. You have to think you're the best one out there and be PROUD of the race you are. So Black people should favor blacks, white favor whites, etc. He got on how to everyone hates Trump because he's an old white guy and while he's gotten caught talking about some stuff--

I interrupted him and asked if he thought Trump had actually did what he's said he's done or if he's just talking and he believed Trumps done what he said but, you see, that's natural for men. It's part of their instinct to mate with as many females as possible and the thing that was supposed to make humans different from animals is to control these compulsions. Trump just isn't as good about it. Then after a while, he told me I could say what I wanted and that I looked really angry with him. I stuttered through some stuff, said "I don't know," and ran off to take care of the laundry and cry a little bit.

I knew he believed a lot of this. What made me so upset was that I was asking for advice and he gives me the EXACT SAME SHIT that was bringing me down in the first place. I thought maybe he'd try to comfort me and give me advice instead of throwing his opinion around, especially since I SAID this was what was making it hard for me.

Dad and I are alike in this area, actually. We get angry easy when someone doesn't believe the way we do and if there's a chance to throw our opinion in, we go for it. I knew this but I was still hoping that maybe he'd listen. I asked him about phones, too, and he went on about how data plans are shady or something like that. Just...

That was the tipping point. I'm not getting on Facebook except for a game and I'm off twitter and tumblr, too. This might be one of my safe havens since it looks like political stuff is over for now in the news thread. Today, my cousin's in labor so I'm heading off to see the new baby and hopefully I'll have some faith in humanity restored via newborn human.

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Good luck madam :ymhug:
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I've been having some problems of my own with the wife of a good friend, Yira. I'm sorry for how badly this has upset you, and I am only just now realizing that the moment I talk to my own father I'm likely to have a similar problem. Just remember that we're here for you, okay? :ymhug:

I'm typing at an exceedingly slow speed currently because I have very badly cut into my right forefinger - fortunately I'm lefty, but that doesn't help so much when you're typing. I was doing some more work around my place, cutting back several trees with some shears when my Mom asks me to get a stepladder and cut down this one larger overhanging branch. She also hands me a saw, that I don't inspect before I use it. It seems it was left to her by my brother and that it's handle is not half so secured as it should be so it wobbles quite a bit.

Wouldn't you know, half way through the branch it jumps out and bites my finger. Deep enough that at the time I thought, "I can take care of this, I know proper first aid" but in retrospect it's still bleeding if I bend it slightly so it might have required stitches. So, I'm typing super slowly and it's likely going to be a couple weeks before my finger is all right. I'm just kind of mad because my brother left a wobbly saw with our Mom.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Ooouuuch D: I'm sorry. I hope you don't end up needing to get stitches.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Fantastic Movies and Where to Find Them!

Not here, obviously... ~X(

So, I wanted to attend the English language screening of FBAWTFT yesterday evening (yesterday being Thursday, for me). Since I suspected it would be full, I reserved a ticket, and left the house at shortly after ten - with ads starting at eleven.

Got my ticket without problems, also bought new 3D glasses since I broke the last fresh ones I had. Sat down near the cash registers and continued reading the book I had throughtfully brought along.

After a while, I got up an went into the actual movie theater. I guess this was maybe ten till or so. Continued reading...

and reading...

and reading...

Finally, I was really convinced it must be after starting time. Looked at my watch. Quarter after! The hell?

Right after this, a guy in the row behind me gets up and goes out, shortly thereafter returning with a dude from the staff who tells us: "Sorry for that, I'll just start the main film immediately, ok?"

Cheering. Ads/trailers in front of such blockbusters often run 30 minutes, we'd be getting our movie early. :)

Short note one the surroundings. There were three blondes in front of me, one rubenesque, the others slim, all three very pretty, who were really geeking out. From their conversations, I gleaned the oldest one, the curvy gal, was 20, the two others even younger. Quite amusing considering all three were just little kids when the first Harry Potter book had appeared! :)) Exactly to my right were two further girls, somewhat older, I guess. I had this completely unsolicited and usually totally stupid thought of "Probably lesbians." and then it turned out I was right... ;))

But anyway! Shortly thereafter, the... ads start. /:) Erm, so much for "the main movie". But whatever. The first ad doesn't run through, freezes, then jumps to the next one. Oh, seems like it's on a DVD, where you put it in and ads launch automatically, but you can skip them.

Some more follow, rapidly skipped, screen goes dark, and then...

Nothing happens for like half a minute.

Then the lights GO ON AGAIN, the curtain still does not open to complete widescreen, and the music start playing, clearly the HP theme! But just a blank screen!!

That stops after 20 seconds or so - then restarts. 40 seconds now. Stops, third time, goes for like a minute, several people are actually holding their ears closed in case something spoilerish would be heard. Then it stops.

Shortly afterward... the ads start again. All the way from the front. This time, five or six of them run though. Then a trailer comes, "Why Him" in English. Suddenly it stops, skips to the end screen with the movie title. A guy with a big afro shouts: "Why us?" General laughter. A few more ads follow, each running a second or two before being skipped. Well, ok, surely we'll be through this soon? It's already more than 30 minutes past the scheduled start time. In at least one other screen, other people are enjoying the German version.

Then the screen just goes... green. Jokes are made about getting in front of the greenscreen and acting out stuff.

Guy behind me goes out again, comes back, tells us something about "The Sneak Peak from earlier was still loaded. They are fixing it but it will take a few minutes." He reveals he actually works here, but it's his off time "and I just wanted to enjoy a movie with all of you people." Applause for his efforts.

These few minutes stretch into many minutes. The girls in front of me joke they'll just camp here, they'll wait no matter how long it takes. Several other people leave. The guy behind me tells me he recognizes me: "You're here quite often, right?" Never in my life have I witnessed such a fuck-up here. Once had a movie start with no sound, but that was quickly solved. I shout into the audience: "Has anyone downloaded the song from the Internet yet?" The girls next to me are discussing leaving too.

The guy behind me tells me they are rebooting the entire system but that takes 15 minutes, it seems the bulbs have to first cool down, then heat up again. Friggin' projector costs 45k Euros and doesn't work. I joke that maybe he could organize free ice cream for all of us. "Sorry, we don't have ice cream either." "Why?" "The refrigerator failed totally and turned into a heater." General laughter. "Not funny, it was my job to clear the whole mess up!"

By now, it is quarter after midnight. Some other guy has gone out and returned with the bad news: Movie is cancelled. They're just not going to solve this problem today. =(( =(( =((

We should all go out and get our money back. I wish the three blondes happy camping. :P

Long line outside. I wait for like ten minutes only to be told "Oh, you paid with a pre-paid ticket, you need to get into the other line." #-o When it's finally, my turn, there's another problem. This pre-paid ticket thing has five movies for 6,50 Euros each, and that had been the last one - I had given it to them to throw away! Luckily, they had put it in a cupboard... I got one movie reimbursed on it (I hope...), and the three Euros 3D surcharge back. I had paid one Euro for the glasses but of course I'd be keeping them. Also, I'm informed that the English version WILL be back on the following Thursday "We have to!" (It's also on on Monday, but that's my RPG day.)

Others were less "lucky". There was a girl in the other line who had paid for her ticket online. Seems the cinema has to keep their cash registers "neutral", so they could not give her back her money, just offer a ticket for another showing. Except... she was flying back to the Ukraine the following day! :-o No idea how that was solved. Then "Why us!" afro guy comes along and does something really American. He presents his empty popcorn bag and empty drink cup, and informs them "I paid for the complete experience, and this was part of it. I want all my money back [including that which I paid for the snacks, which I ate, experience or not.]" Ugh. The poor people of the cinema were having a bad enough time already, and then this self-entitled jerkus comes along.

Someone mentions there are still people sitting in the cinema. I go back with the other staff guy, the one who had said he'd just start the movie immediately... It's a couple - and the three blondes. ;)) They finally have to face reality. "Can we watch it in German. We'd survive that." "No, the English version is downloaded and we can't just switch." "Can we watch it on another screen?" "No, other showings are still running." "Maybe after they're over?" "No, not possible." He tells us there was some unfixable glitch in the playlist, there was an ad which always caused everything to crash. He had been unable to successfully skip it, and the service hotline (in the UK!) was not answering...

One of the girls mentions it will be on in English on Sunday in the city of Erfurt, but that's 50 km away. The guy from the couple is livid, it seems he is leaving soon and does not have a student ticket to use the train free of charge anymore, he can't go there... All I can tell them is that they can choose Monday or the following Thursday.

Well, in the end, I got home something like an hour earlier than I would have - but I also wasted more than two hours of my life (minus the 40 minutes or so I managed to read - ah, yes, during the long greenscreen period, the lights were off so I could not read!) and a bit of gas which no one will ever give me back.

Ok, now I've wasted enough of your time, ye who actually read through this. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)