Pleasures of the Soul

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Re: Pleasures of the Soul

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Marv, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to give you a bit of a warning because of that last post. You used a term there that can be considered very hateful, even if I don't feel you were meaning it in a mean spirited fashion. I just ask that you consider a little bit before you use some terms, because the last thing we would ever want to do is make anyone feel unwelcome on these boards. So, just be a little more careful, okay? Thanks.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Marv

Post by Marv »

Heh, sorry. Was referring to myself, but whatever.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

I don't get political correctness. I really don't.

So, pleasure of the soul: Being in a country where there is no such thing as political correctness :-bd
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Marque'd

Post by Marque'd »

I do, if only because I want to want down the street without being called various racial and homophobic slurs. ;)

Let's see...Imma post two.

Reading on a warm summer's day.

Writing inside while it's raining outside.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. *stabstabstab*

Yay, signature death.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Marque'd wrote:I do, if only because I want to want down the street without being called various racial and homophobic slurs. ;)
Well, I'm not racist(though I do have a particular dislike for Zimbabwe and most French people scare me), nor homophobic, but I have been called that for saying words. it is ridiculous.
Homophobia hate and racist hate i get, but these are just words you know.

Marque'd

Post by Marque'd »

Words have power. A metric shitton of power.

If that weren't true, I wouldn't write. The right choice of words can either completely uplift someone, or crush them under your heel--both of which, I have admittedly done. At least with blows you know where you stand, but words can leave you questioning and in pain forever.

I do get your annoyance, and there is a place for putting honesty forth. I also agree that there are idiotic attempts to put 'political' correctness where doing so is either...ludicrous or insulting. Like the fucking term african-american. Or 'people of colour'. Those annoy the crap out of me--EVERYONE HAS A COLOR, DAMMIT, and guess what, I'VE NEVER BEEN TO AFRICA.

But still, I think that there's a place for it in many instances.

Yay, signature death.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Words do have power, but only as much as you give it. I don't see how saying the word black, for example, is an insult. I am fairly sure they are aware that they are black=/. Or gipsy. Gipsies take PRIDE in the term, but you can't say the word in Europe cause you're racist and you should just call them by family name or rroma. Wtf?

I am far too much of a blunt person to be politically correct, unfortunately. I have worked on this character trait but I am unable to be anything else.

Then again, most people in Romania actually are extremely racist and homophobic, so meh.

Marque'd

Post by Marque'd »

I don't mind being called black. I prefer it to african american.

However, some people have issues with the term because it's directly descended from 'negro', which means 'black'. I'm all for reclaiming words, however, and until there's something better for me to be called, I am black. Or, better, I'm Dominican.

However, there is a difference between being politically correct, and being polite. I prefer the latter. I don't think I should have to bastardize my word choice, but I don't feel like being called a "faggot" or anything else.

Yay, signature death.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Ok, but in the case above, he didn't call anyone a faggot(except maybe himself). Derogatory? Yes. Offensive? I don't get to whom.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

this is getting a bit off-topic, but the term has a derogatory meaning, but its derogatory meaning is directly associated with being gay. So while he's calling himself a "faggot" as self-deprication, it's still depricating anyone who is gay by their association with the definition.

Generally, it's just not a nice word. :/
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

And it used to mean something so practical. God forbid you throw a fag or two on the fire these days. Then you get in all sorts of trouble.
Making obscure references to 90s sketch comedy, that's some soul pleasure to me.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Marque'd

Post by Marque'd »

Actually, before that, it was an adjective referring to hostility, stains, and being decorated (often by blood).

... :D At least I'm pretty sure. That's what it translates to when I encounter it in Anglo-Saxon poety, anyway, but that's the noun form, so it might mean something else. :-bd

Which brings another pleasure of the soul. English geekery.

Yay, signature death.

Marv

Post by Marv »

If what we're discussing is my post, I don't recall making any racist remarks. I can see how faggot and bastard may be offensive, but...

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

It was simply a thought provoking dialogue that went off on a tangent, Marv. They happen. :)

Moving on to other subject matters before Thread derailment. ;)
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

people were just discussing the semantics and other stuff about it, not truly about your post.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?