The Church Of Comic Books

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

KenLee

What is your favorite comic as of 2013?

Post by KenLee »

Mr. Amperduke
This is my favorite for the entire year. How about you?
Merged here. The DAMNed

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Re: The Church Of Comic Books

Post by brnleague99 »

Do we have any Superman freaks in here? And by "freak" I mean SERIOUS SERIOUS SERIOUS fans of the comic book. I'm looking for a particular issue from 1959. (See how serious?) And I am taking a chance that someone will recognize the story.

When I was a kid. About 10 or so, I was reading a "Best Of Superman" style paperback book, and they reprinted a page from an issue that I remember EVERYTHING from but have never been able to find. It has haunted me my entire damn life, and I want this comic more than any Superman title I ever read. See if this sounds familiar...

Superman is having the absolute DOG PISS beaten out of him by this musclebound freak, who brags "You have no chance of beating me Kal-El. I was the undefeated wrestling champion on Krypton!" So just as Superman is about to be beaten to death by this goon, Lois Lane runs up and opens a box in his face...revealing gold kryptonite. At which point the goon's superpowers vanish and Superman captures him." That's all I have, but I have remembered that ONE page all my life. It haunts me. :p

Little help?
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Well one problem with that I see is that gold kryptonite didn't appear until Superman #167 in 1964.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

Hmmmm....so maybe I got the year wrong. ;)

Quote removed. The DAMNed
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

They're making Thor female.

TIME article on the subject.

Personal feelings on the subject is mostly: Image

Mixed with something that makes me bite my lip. Women need more representation in the comic book world but at the same time, if you listen to Humon at the least, we're already pretty much butchering one of their religions with the current representation. Feminist needs vs preservation of a religious belief. Because if I've read right, they still have the Old churches in Scandinavia. They still practice. I don't know how much it's going to matter to them.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

TheDude
Resident Redhead

Post by TheDude »

I'll take a wild guess: it'll hardly matter at all.

The Scandinavians are mostly protestants, but this is Europe. People aren't very religious, church attendance is low and most people don't care a lot about religious matters.

I seriously doubt that you'll find more than a handful of actual worshippers of the old Nordic gods in Scandinavia (if any), but it's hard to imagine that they would care about a comic.
"Time spent in happy delusion is never wasted." Frazz by Jef Mallet

"We fear change." Garth Algar

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

In other comic news that hits close to home for Giz, especially: Archie Andrews -- is dead?!

As I didn't read Archie comics growing up, this is more interesting than tragic for me, but what about the long-term Archie fans out there? Are any of you upset about this?
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Archie is probably as dead as Teddy DeCarlo...

And I'm amused anyone would even contemplate that there would be actual religious believers in the Norse Gods that would be pissed at a comic book figure switching gender.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

If any serious worshiper of the Norse Pantheon kvetches about the decision to change Thor to a woman they should hand in their Pagan card ASAP.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

And now I'm all embarrassed. Oh no.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Eh, everything else about Marvel's norse mythology is butchered and/or doesn't follow the actual historical mythology anyway. :p At this point it's pretty much its own lore in the Marvel 'verse, seperate of the real mythology other than the name.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Yeah, the simple fact that Marvel's Thor was Blond and Clean Shaven pretty much nixed any connection to the Pantheon (Thor in the Myths was Red-Haired and hairy as a Grizzly)
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Well that's good. Still embarrassed but that's good. I'm just a little New Mexican who stays in her part of the world :P

Next up: Sam Wilson becomes Captain America

The story behind this one is... I guess Steve's body changes to match his actual age? So he's this 90 year old guy and passes his mantel off to Sam.

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Who is Sam Wilson? Never really read any Marvel comics other than X-men/Project X (the danish name when X-men first was released over here. They later changed it to X-men again after a brief period of not releasing new stories.)
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Sam Wilson is normally The Falcon. He was in Captain America: Winter Soldier. I don't know how it is in the comics (I've seen pictures of him with real wings and mechanical), but in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) he wears these retractable mechanical wings.

I don't know much about his background. I hadn't heard of him until Winter Soldier. Most of the Marvel stuff I know goes through the MCU.