The Church Of Comic Books

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Re: The Church Of Comic Books

Post by GothPoet »

“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

Yesterday, I learned something that made me giddy. In May...Dial H For Hero is getting a brand new series. DHFH is one of my all time favorite "underrated" titles.

Synopsis: A young teen gets seperated from his class on a field trip and discovers a small, dial-shaped machine that turns him into randomly generated super-heroes whenever he dials the word "H-E-R-O."

Helluva weird concept...and that makes it cool. I look forward to that, and to Showcase Presents: Sea Devils vol. 1, a collection of Silver Age Sea Devils tales.

Cool as hell.

And speaking of cool...check out Dynamite Entertainment's six-issue story Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist. Gordon takes on Ming The Merciless in 1934. Brilliant story.
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

interesting...perhaps this was the inspiration for Ben 10? :-?
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

brnleague99

Post by brnleague99 »

I believe so too. And although I like Ben 10...I still say, loudly, to anyone who'll listen that Ben 10 ripped off Dial H For Hero. *-:)

Quote R for Removed. The DAMNed

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

I'm just sad there's little to no chance they'll bring back the interactive part of Dial H.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Big D

Post by Big D »

I don't read anywhere near as many comics as I used to. I pick up The Goon and Empowered tpbs when they come out but the only things I've been following lately are Dynamite's Red Sonja and Warlord of Mars.
Hopefully relevant: I don't suppose there's anybody else interested in the old British comics is there? That's what I gew up reading and I've been getting nostalgic lately.
I wibble on about books, Heavy Metal and other stuff Here

brnleague99

Post by brnleague99 »

Kamino Neko wrote:I'm just sad there's little to no chance they'll bring back the interactive part of Dial H.
From the late 70's/early 80's when you could design your own heroes and they might be selected? In Adventure Comics? I loved that too.

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

Ferget the 80s! The original 1966-1969 series! The interactive part was an integral part of the concept from its creation.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

lugger91
Location: I'm in your fridge, mixing your fruit with your meat and cheese.

Post by lugger91 »

The iPad and other readers will save comic books. I've spent a horrid amount of money on comics since I got mine.

Image Comics appears to be hitting stride by cutting down on many of their universe comic lines. Developing a universe tends to result in high barrier of entry, given that you have to keep up with a number of titles. I downloaded the first couple years of Spawn and there are many crossovers so I'm not quite sure what is going on each issue. Glad I didn't pay for it, I've read up through year 3 and not much has happened.

I still get my Fantagraphics and :01 comics hardcopy. The paper and printing is always beautiful. Sheen-y paper may represent quality but to me it lacks a soul. For DC, Marvel, Top Cow, and Image, I feel that internet readers are just as good as the paper they currently print on: high resolution and vast amounts of color.
[img]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb67/lugger91/gungrave.png[/img]

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Just saw the latest update on OotS last night and HOLY FUCKING SHIT! :-o
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

The reprint drive, or the fact that something that happened 2 years ago finally has consequences?
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Maaaaann so many artists dieing all of a sudden!
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Rise!! Thread of the Dead!!! :ymdevil:

Recently, I have been reading these.

The Adventures of Blake and Mortimer. Comic culture from my youth. :P I'm quite sure I actually have SOS Meteors at home, and I definitely knew The Necklace Affair. Pretty sure I had read several other older volumes (though not Secret of the Swordfish, that came out in German only quite recently) as well. But a lot of them were new to me.

The newer stories, written and drawn after E. P. Jabobs' death, are a bit of a letdown artistically, but for the most part better written, especially The Voronov Plot, my favorite so far.

One interesting development is that the original volumes written and drawn by Jacobs are extremely male-dominated. If women show up, they are obedient wives of side characters Blake and/or Mortimer visit, and nothing more. James Bond, these comics are most not. In the newer volumes, starting with The Francis Blake Affair, we get one "strong" woman in each volume, be she an undercover agent in Russia (scientist as well) or even an old love interest of Mortimer.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

i bought Batman Earth One today. Its nice but its no Year One.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?