Now Watching....?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

mikbuster

Re: Now Watching....?

Post by mikbuster »

I think I missed a few in that season and haven't seen anything after the first season. I should really watch Heroes again...
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I've read Season 1 is awesome, and then it becomes pretty bad... :(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I'm watching the sixth season of Doctor Who (modern series).

If I had more money, I'd end up owning all of them from the first episode until now.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Been watching M*A*S*H reruns again. Still funny.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

I recently went on a marathon to catch up to the new-ish Arrow show, and i really love it. I think they did a great job adapting the Green Arrow to a tv series. :)

Favourite character so far is Felicity.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Don Alexander wrote:I've read Season 1 [of Heroes] is awesome, and then it becomes pretty bad... :(
Well!!

Last night, we finished the whole thing!! Having just wrapped up season 3 a few weeks ago, we breezed through 4. Astonishingly - at least for us, seems other people beg to differ - while Season 3 (especially the first half) was pretty bad, Season 4 made up for a lot of it, and turned out - again, our opinion only, though we emphatically agreed with each other, which does not happen often - to be the best one after the first season. :-o

We had thought of watching Firefly (would have been the third time for me ;) ) after Heroes but I was running late, could not find it in my DVD collection, and I had not expected to be finished with Heroes already at like 11 in the evening!!

So now we have started watching True Blood!!! Let's see if we get to at least the end of Season 5 by the end of the year... We'll probably also intersperse it with Firefly and Season 6 of The Big Bang Theory (once someone actually buys it, that is...).
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Netflix is your friend
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

In Germany? :-\
ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Sort of related to that, I have a friend in Vietnam who somehow got on the German Youtube site and said she'd rather end up in the Chinese domain. Apparently, they're more lenient?
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Hm, long time no post!!

So, further up, I mentioned me and my friend had started watching True Blood! Several weeks ago, we wrapped up the fifth season, which is our preliminary end - season 6 is out on DVD/BD but still at full price, so we'll wait a while for that. It's AWESOME!!! :D

Inbetween, simply because it had to be done, we watched the third season of Game of Thrones. Still highly awesome, but this season sure had a relatively low amount of nudity and sex in it (and having read the fifth book, I know it just goes down and down...).

My next suggestion was to watching something I own, for a change: 24!

Well, that went as badly as almost expected. My friend did not like it AT ALL, and suffered through a single episode, whining all the time about everything. I admit I was rather pissed, so I went home and decided to do the crazy thing...

Now, I had bought and watched the first three season several years ago already, in single boxes once they were available cheaply. But then I stumbled across a big box set which contained absolutely everything (except for the "ninth" season which just aired a few months ago), and it was a special price-reduced offer (something like 137 Euros instead of 169), so I got it (of course, a while later I found it again for something like 119...). So I started watching season 4, and, like back when I watched all of Babylon 5, I forgot almost everything around me and just powered through, watching up to 20 episodes a day!! 10 days later, I was only missing the last 12 hours of season 8, but then had to go to Party-San. I finished the rest up on Tuesday and Wednesday.

General impression: Lots of fun, but not as good as newer shows like Rome (my favorite), GoT or True Blood.

What I thought was rather interesting was that the quality of the seasons varied, instead of (as is so often the case) just going downward successively. Putting the seasons into bins, I'd rate them like this:

Very good: 1, 5, 7
Good: 2, 4, 8
Mediocre: 3, 6, Redemption

Favorite characters: Chloe (of course? :D) and Aaron Pierce. Too bad he did not show up on Day 8...

Still no idea what to watch next with my friend. We've still not ordered season six of Big Bang Theory. We could try Firefly (I've found it now, but not Serenity...), but I'm afraid if that gets rejected as well... [-(
ImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

what about black sails?
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Que? :-\

EDIT: Ah, a new TV series. Never heard of it before.

Well, I was more thinking along the line of stuff she already has, like Dexter and Boardwalk Empire...
ImageImage

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

What about Dracula? If you haven't already seen the new series that is.

It was pretty good, imo.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

*casts more thread necromancy*

Ok, point one: Several months ago, I visited a good friend of mine, and he decided I needed to see the beginning of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Several of my friends, including him, have been after me for YEARS now to get me to watch it. I checked eBay, and found there's a box set with all three books. I pointed this out to two other friends (they who usually buy me the newest season of GoT for my birthday), and indeed, a few weeks after my birthday (early March), they finally visited me and I got the box!

I started watching a few days later and was soon captivated, getting all the way to the third episode of Book Three before taking some time off - then finishing it some weeks later.

Yes, yes. I admit it. IT'S AWESOME!!! I don't actually like the beginning that much, or even much of Book One. The whole traveling the world thing to have fun here or there was rather boring. It only picked up for me after they reached the North Pole. Anyway, Book Two was really good (and included my two favorite episodes, "Zuko Alone" as well as "Tales of Ba Sing Seh" - especially Iroh's story, that was pure, perfect art!!). The final book was just brilliant.

My favorite characters were the "months" Mai (German for May) and June. :D June was the very first really pretty girl to show up - up to then, Katara had been drawn quite youthful and somewhat cartoony. And Mai was just awesome with her whole "FML whatever" attitude, and here crowning moment of awesome ("What are you doing?" "Saving the life of the jerk who just dumped me!" - I was soooo happy she and Zuko made it all the way to the end she face-turned.) totally won me over. Appa was also brilliant, so much personality without any language. Many other brilliant characters (Uncle Iroh, Toph, Azula was a great villain...), loads of character development, the animation just becomes better and better...

The only thing that disappointed me was the DVD quality. Seems the release is already from 2006 or so, and whatever they used as a Codec, it's crap. Especially in Book One, the JPEG artifacts are gruesome... :(

Point two: Last week, I finished (with my friend here) True Blood.

Oh, how I shall miss you, all you dreadfully sexy ladies. Like JVD said a few years ago, what a cruel show for people who are not getting laid. :P

Seems season 7 was torn apart by most people. I admit, it was not quite what I expected. I thought it would become this global war against the Hep Vamps, instead it turned into a rather dragged-out character study on the pros and cons of immortality... So a bit of a letdown, though I would not join the pitchfork mobs either. While it came pretty much out of nowhere, I was quite happy for Hoyt and Jessica, and of course, Eric Northman and Pam de Beaufort get a total crowning moment of awesome ending! :D But, haha, those last few minutes!!! Suddenly Sookie is married to some regular guy we hardly see and who is a complete unknown, pregnant with a kid... I guess it was a way to give most characters a nice happy ending closure.

Not sure what we might watch next. :-? I myself now own seasons 4 and 5 of GoT on Blu-Ray but can't watch them as I have not bought any kind of BR drive for my computer yet. :P
ImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Grats on watching Avatar!
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?