Now Watching....?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: Now Watching....?

Post by Azrael »

Indeed. Now, go watch Legend of Korra. And don't make me nag for years, because don't think I won't. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

^ Told my friends about this one, guess they'll also nag me in the years to come. :P They told me the first season is "crap" but that it later becomes better.

With said two friends - one had his birthday yesterday - we celebrated by finally doing the Star Wars marathon. Alas, things took a while, and we were only able to watch the prequel trilogy before dropping to bed at 5 in the morning. We then resumed the next early afternoon and were finished shortly after seven in the evening.

Since birthday friend hardly knows English, we watched them in German, which sure lessens the experience. Furthermore, me and my friends, we seem to have a different way of watching movies... I actually like to watch them, you know. Not have them running as a kind of background sussuration while one plays around on one's tablet, or talks about stuff and shows off funny videos... 8-| Additionally, it seems the walls are thing, the neighbors shitty, so volume was turned way down, even during the original trilogy which we watched during daytime. Okay, so I expect my hearing is not as good as earlier... But on the other hand, I could easily hear traffic noises outside (and the next busy street is behind a row of houses), but at times had problems understanding dialogue (that is, when my friends were not just talking over it anyway - I sure had no problems understanding THEM... :-L ) Okay, so Phantom Menace is by far the worst SW movie, but it was still annoying to miss essentially half of it because we watched it while cooking a huge lasagna...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I forgot completely about this thread - anybody else watch the Syfy show "The Magicians"? I've often heard it aptly described as "an adult Harry Potter meets Narnia". It's interesting, even though it does go in a bit too much for the horrible treatment of its main characters. But, I do like the side character of Eliot, he has some great lines, like a modern day American Oscar Wilde. (Even if the season finale did put him in a situation that a lot of fans are quite reasonably upset about...

Eliot is very obviously gay, and at the finale he has to become married to a farm girl in this Narnia-like land. And after he does this, he can never be with anyone else, and he can't return back to Earth. A lot of fans are unhappy because of him being forced into a heterosexual relationship.
Quentin - "Am I hallucinating?"
Eliot - "If you were, how would asking me help?"

Eliot - "The waiver says Spellwork is not unlikely to murder you. And if it does, oh well."

Eliot (bluffing a normal person with a little magical spark) - "I'm a supervillain. Now talk."

Quentin - "Point is we need some serious battle magic."
Margo - "But that stuff is illegal!" (Pause) "I'm fucking with you, I'm in."
Eliot - "I'm in too, I heard the word illegal."
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Never heard of it before, DnE. I'll put it on my list to watch later though. :)
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Yes! MAGICIANS FUCK YEAH!

The finale got me good. Wasn't expecting everything to go in that direction.

Aso, can anyone lend me a HAND? Lawl.

Speaking of, DnE, did you notice the Beast had 6 fingers? I didn't notice first time around, but it makes sense for advanced magick.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Dr who coming soon with a new companion
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

JTheCreator wrote:Yes! MAGICIANS FUCK YEAH!

The finale got me good. Wasn't expecting everything to go in that direction.

Aso, can anyone lend me a HAND? Lawl.

Speaking of, DnE, did you notice the Beast had 6 fingers? I didn't notice first time around, but it makes sense for advanced magick.
Glad to know there's another fan! I did catch the 6 fingers... I guess I've just been watching enough Gravity Falls I notice them when they show up. ;) I really like the storytelling, but as I mentioned in the previous post - several of the harsh times they put the characters through (Yes, that moment in the finale JTheCreator) went a bit far for me. I find it interesting that they hinted rather strongly that the version we're watching of the show is subtly different than the events of the book... and why. ;)
Tenjen wrote:Dr who coming soon with a new companion
Capaldi is a Doctor that I really enjoy, I find it interesting that so many of the newer fans dislike him so. I've heard rumors that BBC had to push him to return for the next season, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last season in the role. I saw they announced new face Pearl Mackie who is going to play a character named "Bill". I'm curious what sort of companion she'll turn out to be.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Yeah, they really push the envelope in this show. It's not stuff you expect to see on TV. Is SyFy always like this?

Also, I was told I should watch Gravity Falls if I like this show, but I kinda stopped watching cartoons when I learned about anime haha.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

Duel (1971)

For at least the dozenth time. Steven Spielberg's first movie about a quasi-supernatural Peterbilt truck that chases Dennis Weaver through the desert is an absolute MUST see. :D
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

So, I'm watching the latest Marvel Netflix series with "Iron Fist". And like a lot of people, I'm finding it pretty underwhelming. The plot isn't hooking me, the pacing is slow, and story is rather bland. Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing is the best part by far, and one of the more interesting characters. But the guy they took on to be Iron Fist, this Finn Jones? A curly headed neckbeard who looks like he spent at most five days in a gym. He might be English, but his American accent comes across as more than slightly Californian. When he's trying to look intense, he looks like a petulant kid. When he's trying to be philosophical, he comes across as a preachy hipster. I'm going to finish the series because I'm a completist, but... it's really making me grumble to see them take one of my favored B-list heroes and turn him into some 80's wanna be kung fu great white hero schlock.

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

It's time (again) for Animaniacs!

Let's hope, if this happens, it's not like the Powerpuff Girls reboot or Teen Titans Go! -- though, occasionally, I find the latter humorous.
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

I HATE Teen Titans Go, except for any episode involving Raven and MLP. Those are brilliant.

otaku247

Post by otaku247 »

In light of the wrestling storyline, a Netflix original that popped up in my recommendations (by the makers of Orange is the New Black) piqued my interest - GLOW : a comedy story about 80's LA and a group of women misfits that end up auditioning for the Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling and hilarity ensues in all its 80's-music-driven Neon Cheesiness. Might be a good one to fill in the Kayfabe Gap! :x

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Netflix's new series Wednesday. I've enjoyed it so far. Making it a boogedy-boogedy murder mystery was an interesting choice, shades of Sleepy Hollow, perhaps. Jenna Ortega does a credible job as Wednesday. Her modern interpretation of the Wednesday dance was particularly entertaining. Chirpy wolf-girl was annoyingly endearing. Christina Ricci is a hoot as a major side character. Wondering if this is going to be a one off or if they are going to get it extended.

Also: IA! IA! THREADLICHE FTAGN!, apparently.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Started watching Willow today on Disney+. Fun so far. Hope it slowly becomes more and more epic.

Anyone ever heard of the two-season TV series Counterpart, from a few years ago, lead role J. K. Simmons? It's an absolute hidden gem, fantastic alt-present SF in which the world is split into two parallel universes, and then one of them gets decimated by a terrible pandemic, triggering a new cold war...

Enjoyed Andor a hell of a lot, best SW since The Mandalorian.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)