Where's your avatar from? With added username discussion!

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Where's your avatar from?

Post by Don Alexander »

I'm inspiring! :ymblushing: :D And I got first answer again...

My avatar is, as many will have correctly surmised, Jupiter.

As imaged by the Cassini mission to Saturn when it flew past the king of planets.

Get the full, stunningly detailed image here

We had a bit of a discussion about where our names come from in another thread once. But it might be nice to gather it in a dedicated thread like this one.

My first name is David Alexander, peculiarily enough I go by Alexander. Hardly anyone knew I was also named David until I started appearing in the author lists of scientific papers. I deemed it would be cooler to be D. A. than just A. (seeing that others have things like M. F. M. or R. A. M. J. ...). A colleague from Italy asked me if the D. stood for Don. ;)) That kind of stuck, and I used the name in BAUTForum, and I have also used it in the User Friendly forum and in the comment pages of ICHC (along with my LoLspeak-hating twin borther Ebil Don Allesandro).

Finally, I landed here, and, well, this is like my home now. :ymblushing:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

i created mine. it's the splash page for my website.
it's me, hooked up to a couple of monitors

look at http://www.markmoriquendi.com to see the full size pic. all scratch mad except my face, which was posterised slightly anyway

(i wouldn't usually big up my own site, butthere's only a holding image there atm)

EDIT:
Atherakhia comes from when I used to play Warhammer 40,000 (which I'm going to get back into). It was a Dark Eldar glyph, translating as "Destruction"
It's what I named my commander; Dark Eldar Archon Atherakhia
Last edited by MarkMoriquendi on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

I made mine in South Park Studio, and it's a version of my forum persona. I have other ones (the computer face from "Still Alive", the Ghost in the Shell SAC hacker sign, and one I made as a mascot for my friend's Myspace band page).
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

zefvonee

Re: Where's your avatar from? With added username discussion!

Post by zefvonee »

Well, my current avatar is pretty obvious. Just a parody of the Barack 'change' posters, just with Optimus Prime. Another I frequently use though, is from the manga Dragonknights. Alchemist Kharl with his creation, the Killer Shrimp.

As for my username, I made it up several years ago while I was supposed to be paying attention in science class. I'm not sure what struck me to throw the letters together, but I came up with it and haven't gotten rid of it.

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

It's from a manga called The Yuri Cage, translated by Lililicious. (It's in Chi-Ran's Himitsu Shojo...luckily, otherwise, I'd not be able to find it.) I coloured it for use as an avatar and LJ icon.

As to the username.... Neko was chosen because...I'm big on cats. The Kamino part is a little longer a story - and has nothing to do with Star Wars. I was using Nekogami for a while, but, there are just so damn many Nekogamis around. So, once again unable to get it, I rearranged the elements (and thus changed the meaning, and turned it into a completely valid name). Tada, Kamino Neko.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I have an idea, if anyone is up to it...

I have been using one and the same avvy since post one and I do not want to change it. Most others here have switched every once in a while, some rarely (I know only two from zef and Kamino - KN, I loved your first one, the two running cartoon/anime girls) and some very often, like Asaryu.

Just for nostalgic reasons, anyone up to posting some/all of their old ones here? :)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

I would, but, oddly, I...don't seem to have it, any more. Apparently I hosted it somewhere other than photobucket, and have had a crash since I had it.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

These are all of my avatars that I've used since I became a member. From left to right: Me, GitS SAC hacker sign, "Still Alive" Portal computer face, Dryope's rendering of my forum persona, Cyanide and Happiness frame, same frame edited, Mopman with his trusty brand Destructomop (my rendering), and my current forum persona rendering a la South Park Studio.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

Your wish is my command

Commence the avatar-spam!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

There have probably been more, but these are the ones I can readily find.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

I was making my first roleplaying character, and I couldn't think up a nice elfy name that didn't sound like a pretentious wanker had jizzed it onto the paper. So I was being silly and snuggly with my partner (who was also the game master) and I called him silly...and he turned to me and said "as are you".

I used to suffer from some serious depression and some mild paranoia. I used to worry that I was different or weird or stupid or sick or something. And now I remind myself when it's written that it's exactly what it means...I am like everyone else, and we're all part of the same big thing. I'm not so different or special and neither is everyone else. But we are all different, and we are all special...so it reminds me to treat everyone as though they are special. Cos we all are.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Yay for Asaryu avatar-spamming!!

I don't even know all of those! :O

Yeah, I think your very first one is missing. It was also one of the card avatars...

My three faves are the cartoon image of you, of course the iddle-biddle octopus with my caption :) and the reading one. That one makes me grin each time I see it!

If pepperkitty gets around here, I hope she reposts her first one - it was sooooooo kyoot!!!!! :x
ImageImage

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

I made most of mine myself...not the art, but the composition.

I am a shapeshifter, remember.

Besides, I can't adequately represent myself with only one icon, and there's no animated gif file large enough to encompass all of me. So I change mine depending on my mood.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

i use this image of a lynx photo a lot. havent changed it in ages. Never here at least. the "jesus" lyx image as one friend at kiwi chan studios put it.

Tenjen is from my full nick, Tenjen Kouken. One means celestial or divine and the other means guardian. Both words are out of context :3

My old was GSGuardian, when i was really young and an otaku. I passed through that stage and becaome Tenjen Kouken. After that i just became Tenjen.

I use a lot of nicks like Tenjen. [celestial/divine/etc] like Hemel or himmlisch or tenrai.

My favourite chosen nick is Ikuinen. Which doenst mean celestial or divine but something much more closer to home with me.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Post by cyanide_sweet »

I definitely don't have/remember all the avatars I've used. My current one is RAWRSHACK ;;) Cause of the awesoomz.

My name is from a song called Cyanide Sweet Tooth Suicide. An ex told me the lyrics reminded them of me.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

JVDifferent is short for justverydifferent. Sometime during my second last year of high school I went through a lot of interior soul-searching and personal re-awakenings, and started writing the beginnings of the giant-ass narrative that I posted about in the Springboard thread (though the alternative world had less dinosaurs and was more medieval at the time :-o ).

Its surrogate title, because I was focussing on the story and finding myself in it rather than its name, was A Very Different Story, or A.V.D.S, for short. As I got into it, I decided it was time to update my internet-self. So I ditched the handle linked2zelda (DON'T JUDGE ME), and was tossing up between justverydifferent or thirdeyeblind (stuff involving third eyes is pretty prevalent in the narrative). Turned out Third Eye Blind was already a well-known band and was thusly a taken gmail account. So I picked justverydifferent.

My eye avatar is derived from the same third eyes as thirdeyeblind was. The two lines above the eye are meant to be suggestive of eyebrows, placing it in the middle of the two eyes you can't see in the image.
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.