How Does Your Garden Grow?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Post by Iceman »

How about a little resurrection? While I do not actively grow anything edible in my garden except for rhubarb, I'd like to say, that I'm getting a giant sequoia soon. Oh, and can anyone give me some pointers on what to grow in a cool temperate/arctic zone.

Resurrected. :P Also, I see Bear choose to send the thread to the graveyard rather than tidying up his garden and taken pics of it. :)) The DAMNed
The iceman cometh

mac2

Post by mac2 »

I would like to bring this one back, too. I've got a ton of garden stuff to talk about.

@Iceman: There are plenty of cool-season plants that should grow fine where you are. Your best bet would probably be greens, like lettuce, spinach, or kale. Anything in the cabbage family would be good, too. I've seen pictures of 30-40 pound heads of cabbage that were grown in Alaska. The growing season is short, but the length of the days makes up for that.
Yes, it is as bad as you think, and they are out to get you

Everything is significant until proven otherwise.

mac2

Post by mac2 »

It's alive, but it's not active yet. :p

Today is my favorite milestone of the gardening season. I picked the first ripe tomato out of my garden. =p~ I've had a couple of bacon and tomato sandwiches with tomatoes from the farmers market, but I think the first homegrown is going to be served with cottage cheese (my favorite summer "salad").

I've got 25 tomato plants, of 8 varieties, so I'll have more than I know what to do with soon. The same with cucumbers (8 plants), squash (6 plants), and peppers (hopefully). I have 6 varieties of peppers, 27 plants, both hot and sweet. Most of them haven't started producing anything yet. I think it's been too wet this year. We are starting to get some really hot weather, so that should help.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

My garden grows very well because of all the corpses in it....

Not really. I'm not sure how this plant in my room survives. I think I haven't watered it in a month.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

The garden here has been taken over by 2+ meter tall nettles. <_<
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

THERE ARE MOTHER FUCKING FROGS IN OUR MOTHER FUCKING POND AND I HATE THEM. The plants in our pond are overgrown, so like a million frogs laid like a million eggs in the pond and now those fuckers are huge. (I swear to God there are some that are easily four inches long, which is about 3 inches longer than I'm comfortable with). And every damn time I leave the house, normally at like 6 o'clock because God knows I'm totally awake and prepared for anything at 6 in the frikkin' morning, one of them will jump out of the pond at my feet and I freak out. Guh.

TL;DR: My garden grows frogs. Hopefully it will soon grow even better thanks to the multiple frog corpses I intend on installing under the plants.
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Look on the bright side, at least it's not a million moskitos . :p
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

mac2

Post by mac2 »

This year, my garden grew Prize winning tomatoes
Tomato Ribbon Small.JPG
Tomato Ribbon Small.JPG (22.99 KiB) Viewed 14885 times
And Zucchini
Zucchini Ribbon Small.JPG
Zucchini Ribbon Small.JPG (23.08 KiB) Viewed 14885 times
Mine's the one on the left, with the blue ribbon. This is the first year I've entered anything in the county fair. :D

FurriesRock

Post by FurriesRock »

I've got watermelons on a trellis, but they get only about as big as a tennis ball and then shrivel and fall off.

Haven't figured out what's going on yet.

:-w

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

nutrients or maybe the seeds themselves?
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Or the fact that you have then on a trellis? Watermelon are generally ground growers.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

FurriesRock

Post by FurriesRock »

I got the trellis idea from pinterest, seems a lot of people grow watermelon, and other fruits and veggies this way.
Tenjen wrote:nutrients or maybe the seeds themselves?
I considered that, so I added compost which I've been accumulating, but it will be a few days, or maybe a couple weeks before I see a change from this.

As for the seeds, they were from an heirloom seed company.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Interesting. Never seen or heard of watermelon being grown that way.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

FurriesRock

Post by FurriesRock »

I think I may have not been watering the watermelon's enough, so I'm going to try watering them once a day, instead of once every two or three, and give it week to see if I notice any changes.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Overgrown.jpg
Overgrown.jpg (118.1 KiB) Viewed 13519 times
Uncovered1.jpg
Uncovered1.jpg (118.24 KiB) Viewed 13519 times
Before and After. Trust The Saw!!!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)