Pet Peeves

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus
Purveyor of Puggles

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus »

tenebrusmke79 wrote: Another pet peeve I have is one where people on a comment section post in a way that makes it like a game, such as: "first to comment" and so on and so forth. That's not a good way to comment, it's childish as well.

I believe it's fark.com that automatically moves any "first" comment to the bottom of the page, therefore making the user look stupid :p
R.I.P. Don Alexander/Dr. David "Alex" Alexander Kann, 2/15/77-3/10/23 :( I'll never forget you or all the good times we had.

"Look up. The stars are shining for you."

Owner and Manager of McLovecraft's; Zany Genius Inventor of Ichory Delights

<3 PRIDE IN THY PUGGLES! <3

me: I remember biting Teach in the ass...
DA: We remember the REALLY important things.

Became Mrs. SP on 10/16/10 <3 :D

Now with mini Puggles! (as in babies) I have two boys, ages 7 and 4 :)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

tenebrusmke79 wrote:I have a major pet peeve: net speak on a forum. It isn't like a forum has a short limit on how many characters can go into it. Use whole words when posting in forums. It's annoying and not really legible.

Another pet peeve I have is one where people on a comment section post in a way that makes it like a game, such as: "first to comment" and so on and so forth. That's not a good way to comment, it's childish as well.
I have a pet peeve...she's cute and furry and likes treats...no wait...that's my cat.

We don't have anyone that I've seen do the 'first' comments here. We do have a minimum of net speak, as far as I know. This is good because it confuses me.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

SidewaysPlatypus wrote:I believe it's fark.com that automatically moves any "first" comment to the bottom of the page, therefore making the user look stupid :p
It also word-filters "first post" into "boobies".

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

The only real forum pet peeve I have is folks who make coments on a title that they obviously don't like from day one. I can understand a few posts when they first are introduced to it, but I've seen some that all they do is complain about everything from their arrival on. Makes me wonder why they are even bothering to read it in the first place. Fortunately, most that act that way around here tend to get bored and wander off...
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

Aye, excessive negativity gets old real fast
Holder of the Elder Scepter of Ebilnes, Elected Supreme Ruler
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" -Twilight Sparkle, to her future self.
Yira wrote:Whatever, labels are stupid. ...Unless it's a label gun, then we're talking tons of fun. "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! ...This is an awesome bar stool, but you can have it."

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I think one guy got called on it by Giz a few months back. All he ever seemed to do is hate Zii and just about everyone else in Ma3.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Ah, yes, Evil Zero. :P He's actually improved.
Artemisia wrote:We don't have anyone that I've seen do the 'first' comments here.
Sure you do! Me!! :D

(Except I actually do write something sensible in the first post...)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

You've had a first post?
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" -Twilight Sparkle, to her future self.
Yira wrote:Whatever, labels are stupid. ...Unless it's a label gun, then we're talking tons of fun. "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! ...This is an awesome bar stool, but you can have it."

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Hm, check out the Elder Cave or Jabber, I think also Gamer's Lounge. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

So, nothing within the statue of limitations then :p

Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus
Purveyor of Puggles

Lord Styphon wrote: It also word-filters "first post" into "boobies".

Oh yeah, double whammy.....I forgot about that, haven't been around there in a while.
R.I.P. Don Alexander/Dr. David "Alex" Alexander Kann, 2/15/77-3/10/23 :( I'll never forget you or all the good times we had.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Lord Styphon wrote:
SidewaysPlatypus wrote:I believe it's fark.com that automatically moves any "first" comment to the bottom of the page, therefore making the user look stupid :p
It also word-filters "first post" into "boobies".

That explains so much... :p
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

"First response" filters to "weeners".

Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus
Purveyor of Puggles

And IIRC it turns the n word into "attractive and successful African American"...did we get them all? :p

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »