How Was Your Day?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: How Was Your Day?

Post by Artemisia »

:( that's awful.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

I was pretty pissed when i saw that. Being in HR myself thats absolute shit to do to someone.

is it wrong to feel a good deal of hope after seeing so many people join the protests?
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

That is a shitty thing for them to do :\ I really do hope you find something better.

It's hard for me to be too hopeful about it when I have relatives and high school friends posting shit like this

and this

and this

All gotten from ONE person when I was just looking for that last one since it has to do with protestors. And I've seen most of those from other people than just the one I got it from.

I hate the area I live in so freaking much sometimes.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

I may have had the most expensive bathroom break while I was out, today....I had my tablet in my coat pocket, and when I took off my coat to go to the bathroom, it fell in the toilet...it's open and drying, now...hopefully it'll be working once it's dried out...
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

*crosses fingers for Neko-nyan.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Yira...one of the people in my family's extended circle reposted those on Facebook and got reamed out by his mother for doing so.

On the other hand, according to a cousin of mine who lives in Albuquerque, the march there was pretty well attended.

And if you need a pick me up, look at the kittens on the previous page. Kittens are always good :)
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Kamino Neko wrote:I may have had the most expensive bathroom break while I was out, today....I had my tablet in my coat pocket, and when I took off my coat to go to the bathroom, it fell in the toilet...it's open and drying, now...hopefully it'll be working once it's dried out...
Maybe put it in rice or water absorbant crystal silicate for a day.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

You might get more posts from me for the next month or so because I'm bedridden (that word is such an interesting visual). On Jan 19th I had to have my left knee operated on. The kneecap was off alignment, my knee was full of arthritis and the meniscus was torn. The procedure was amazingly fast. Five hours from when I walked in the hospital to when I was driven home. I just wish the recovery was as fast. Its one step forward and two back. I got the dressing off on the 25th which eased a lot of the pain, but then two days ago, my right knee began to hurt. By yesterday night I was unable to get to my feet because of the pain. My family's treating it with heat, but if it doesn't improve significantly by the end of the weekend, I'll have to see the doctor about it.

Sorry about the pity party, but I'm very down and needed to vent. I know there are plenty of folks in far worse situations than me, but It's been decades since I last had surgery and it's depressing not to be able to even go to the bathroom without a major effort and someone's help. PT begins next week-fingers crossed.

*Addendum
Dirty n Evil, I'm very sorry to hear about your job situation. I know that companies are allowed to do that but its still immoral and unprofessional. I'll hope for you, please keep us updated.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Lokitsu,

Thank you for your concern... and I most certainly will share any good news with everyone here.

Firstly, I want to tell you that simply because "other people have it worse" doesn't invalidate your own negative experience. This is an important life lesson that I'm only just taking to heart. You wouldn't tell someone who just had their finger cut off, "It could be worse... you could've cut off your whole hand!" No, that's bad. You're allowed to feel unhappy about your situation, and don't let anyone pressure you to feel okay about it, because that's invalidating your feelings. It's all right to feel unhappy.

Secondly, I can somewhat understand your issues myself. You see, when I was a child (around 8-9 or so) I had an injury that tore my thigh, damaging the muscle slightly. I was stuck unable to move out of bed for two weeks, and only after that could I move around with pain for several more. It was not only humbling to require someone else's help for seemingly basic tasks, but also frustrating and lonely.

I hope your recovery goes well, and that once this ordeal is over your knee feels better than every Lokitsu.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

A part of depression and other mental afflictions is to play down its impact and severity on yourself, that its "not as bad as others who have it". This is further reinforced by the attitudes of outsiders who don't understand shit and say its not a "real issue".

Thing is even people who have it worse are thinking the same thing, that "others have it worse". However, It does not invalidate either theirs or yours experience with it or its consequences on you. It is real and yours and something serious to fight against no matter who says otherwise.
ImageImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Chiming in with there will always be someone who has it either better or worse than you. It doesn't mean what you go through is meaningless or you should shrug it off. Surgery of any kind is a big deal. I've only had the one surgery to put my cochlear implant in so I've never really shared the experience but I can definitely understand that needing help with some very basic things thanks to it can be morally damaging and depressing. So we got you.

Speaking of my implant and a little with therapy: When I first got the implant, my audiologist recommended audio therapy. I never really did it for stupid reasons. It was frustrating as hell in some cases and I thought I was hearing pretty good with it, so why do I need it? Three years later, I understand 50% of words and can't talk on the phone. SO ok. Maybe I'll do therapy. I'll do it in audiobooks. I picked out The Hobbit and today was the first day I tried it. It did not go well. The physical copy of the book I have and the audio copy have some word differences that threw me off track several times. I managed one chapter okay but the second one, I lost my place and couldn't find it again. I tried to play it back and the site I was using wouldn't allow for it. I had to start the chapter over which is fine, I guess. It's probably good practice anyway. Then it happened again. I gave up (for today anyway) in frustration and a bit in pain. I had it up too loud when I stared and I'm not used to hearing things much anymore. When I listen to music, I usually listen to maybe four songs max before I have to turn it off. So a chapter and a half of nothing but the sound of someone's voice was too much. It still aches, though I've tried my best to NOT take my CI off and enjoy deafness for a while. I've sent a text to a friend who went to school for stuff like this to see how hard I should be pushing and I have plans on restarting the second chapter again tomorrow, though how far I get will depend on the feedback I get from my friend and the Cochlear group I'm in.

Right now, I don't see how this is going to benefit me but I just started, so we'll see, I guess. It's probably going to take a lot of time and there's every possibility that this will be the slowest read through I've ever done on a book.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

First off, thank you everyone for the well wishes (and the gentle smack for being passive/aggressive). :ymhug:

@Yira: I really hope this therapy works out for you. I know absolutely nothing about hearing loss and implants, but I do definitely understand how painful and frustrating therapy can be. Its hard, especially when it involves something you've done all your life easily, like lifting a leg or understanding what someone is saying. Please don't give up, it'll take time (and way too much effort) but I'm sure you'll do great.
I'm going to try like hell too. My doctor has told me I should be at 100% movement and pain free by the time I'm finished and I want to believe him. I just have to stick to the regimen and push along.
Hopefully both of us get to where we want to be.
Loki

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I have like a million things to tell, but I'll keep it really short (for now):

I bought a "CUDDLY TOY LION" for my friend's 4-year old daughter here in Granada.

BEHOLD:

ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

IT EATS US
ImageImageImage

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

KILL IT WITH FIRE!