What's for dinner/supper/tea tonight?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: What's for dinner/supper/tea tonight?

Post by Azrael »

Okay, but what is that Alex? It looks tasty.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

It's called "Schnitzel Dutch Style". A Schnitzel (breaded tenderized pork meat) with cheese baked over. And freedom fries.

It was incredibly yummy!!! :D

We went out to eat yesterday at a restaurant called "Schnitzel Paradise" here in town which serves - you guessed it - loads of different Schnitzel variations (and some other stuff). It's extremely good, even the "small" Schnitzels are a huge meal for most people, and not terribly expensive.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Thought I'd give it a try:

Ended up being a slight pain in that I normally don't use a knife with my pancakes, so the bacon ripped out. And I used peppered bacon, which didn't hurt things at all. May try again one day.
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

MuchachoNL
Menace to Society

Post by MuchachoNL »

Today I had a typical Dutch meal (Not the abomination that DA describes as "Schnitzel Dutch Style" :p).

Cooked Potatoes with endive/scarole/leaved endives (I had to google translate this -_-'') with bits of baked bacon and a nice big chunk of pork tenderloin.

It's funny how we Dutch end up being so stereotyped to the rest of the world...
- Schnitzel Dutch Style... as if we melt cheese over everything we eat :p
- Going Dutch, American phrase for splitting the bill. (That one is true actually. Most women want to pay half when on a date. Otherwise they feel they owe us a second date :p)
- Weed is legal (it is) so every Dutch person must be high as a kite every day. (Very false statement, since legalization takes a bit of the fun out of it... plus it's only legal up to a certain amount)
- Dutchmen are experts when it comes to water... Right... we live below sea-level and we do actually manage to live with water properly.. but one mistake with a dam or dike and we're all screwed ;)
Freudian Slip: When you say one thing, but mean your mother... err... another.

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

I had steamed tilapia and asparagus. I steamed them in my new bamboo stealer using water and fresh ginger, and a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper on the fish. (Yes my grocery store finally has fresh ginger again.) :D

The whole kitchen smelled like ginger, and both the asparagus and fish came out perfect at the same time. :-bd
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Nev

Post by Nev »

I had a typical Dutch meal last evening, Muchacho. Greasy takeout. :))

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

I had home made teriyaki chicken noodle stir-fry for dinner last night

Mum came over on Sunday to help me move the bed into our new bedroom (dayum that thing is heavy!) and when I picked her up from the train station she wanted to get something for lunch, so I directed her to a yummy Japanese place and she had her first ever proper Japanese ramen.

I didn't have any, but I got a craving for some delicious noodle dish, so I made this. I'd still like to make ramen, so when I was getting the pak choy I also got some of the sauces and such that I'd need to make ramen, so I may make some later in the week.

This morning for breakfast I had a scrambled egg, baby spinach, rocket and smoked salmon sandwich. It was BOSS.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

CyanideAngel
Cookie Angel

Post by CyanideAngel »

First Image - BBQ chicken,Apple,Cheese and Bacon Quesadilla
Second Image - Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla,Salad, Chilli mayo

I also made Salad with green olives,Chilli Mayo, Hot sauce and cheese and Spicy Vegetarian Wraps As my lunch for work.

in true form, I've been really into making everything from scratch for a week and so tonight I feel lazy and I've eaten a load of pop tarts and coke.
Amor vincit omnia Nil illegitimi carborundum Carpe Diem Carpe Noctem
winner of the 2009 cutest forumite contest (females)
Teach's Angel Kitty and assistant giver of hugs

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

SUGAR RUSH! :p

Those quesadilla look and sound tasty, though. =p~
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

For dinner, I made a wrap of shrimp diablo with parmesan cheese and baby spinach... which was good, but a little bit later I was craving something more for desert. However, I desperately need to go grocery shopping and there was very little in the apartment. Which is when the inspiration to attempt something new kicked in, and I think I have the television show Chopped to blame. I keep seeing people using odd ingredients to make interesting foods, so I decide "heck with it, let's see what I have".

I took my shredded wheat breakfast cereal, ground it up finely, and mixed it with egg whites, a little milk, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and made a fluffy griddle cake topped with maple syrup and dried cranberries. Poured it into a silcone food mold to help it build a little height rather than thinning out like a crepe.
I'm usually more of a cook than a baker... but hey, I surprised myself! This was pretty tasty. :) While it resembles a pancake, it was much lighter and the clove really gave it a sharp flavor of its own.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

I was bored, so I made this stack:
Attachments
IMG_3713.JPG
IMG_3713.JPG (29.41 KiB) Viewed 15171 times
The iceman cometh

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

So, now you have me curious... what's that a stack of, Iceman?

Had such a fantastic dinner, but I didn't think to take a picture of it. I made an egg white omelette with spicy Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, and smoked gouda over some baby spinach. Oh my gosh - so tasty. There was a mild heat, savory, sweet smokiness, mild bitterness from the spinach... it just made a very complex flavor. This recipe is a keeper.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

It's a stack of pure delicious Icelandic pancakes. I admit, they are slightly thicker than they should be, but meh. I was doing this for the first time. Heavenly both folded with whipped cream and rhubarb jam, and rolled up with crystalline sugar.
The iceman cometh

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Tomorrow is Mother's Day (another one of those lovely invented holidays by the greeting card companies), and I told my Mom that I wanted to cook her a dinner since that's something I'm good at... I just asked her if she had any particular request for a food item to use or cuisine or such. She said that she just wanted something grilled - recently, she'd gotten her grill out to use a couple of weeks ago and forgot how good freshly grilled food tasted.

Now, my mom loves different cuisine... so, I'm going to cook her a chicken burger inspired by chicken souvlaki. I'm going to marinade the chicken tonight in Greek seasonings (garlic, oregano, basil, mint) with lemon juice, olive oil, and basalmic vinegar. Make burger patties with them, but tuck feta cheese into their centers. I'm also going to give a slight char to some red onion and sliced tomato, and serve it all on a bun with spinach leaves. My mom's the one with the good camera phone, hopefully she can take better pictures of it than I can and I'll post them later.

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

I had buffalo chicken sandwich (breaded chicken on a bun with buffalo sauce and blue cheese), pan-roasted asparagus, and brown sugar cinnamon tart for dessert.
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!