Thread : In the news today

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Re: Thread : In the news today

Post by yiraheerai »

Ah. Okay. That makes sense.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Hey, we haven't had a celebrity death in a while...

William Peter Blatty, author of The Exorcist, dies at 89.

Well, I guess 89 is a good age to go.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

And just yesterday it was announced that Tommy Allsup passed away at 85. Don't be sad if you don't know who he is. He's just one of the luckiest guys in the world.
[Allsup] met Buddy Holly in a recording studio in 1958, and the star invited him to join his band on the fateful Winter Dance Party tour a year later.

Crossing Midwest America in freezing conditions, many of the musicians succumbed to the flu and even frostbite. To avoid one particularly wintry bus journey, Holly decided to charter a plane between Clear Lake, Iowa and their next venue in Minnesota.

Allsup was originally supposed to catch the flight, but Valens - who had previously suffered a fear of flying - pestered him to swap places.

"He asked me four or five times could he fly in my place," Allsup recalled in 2007. "For some reason, I pulled a half dollar out of my pocket and flipped it. He said 'heads' and it came up heads.

"So I went out to the station wagon and told Buddy. I said, 'I'm not going. Me and Ritchie flipped a coin. He's going in my place'. Buddy, said 'cool'."

The plane crashed shortly after take-off in the Iowa countryside.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

RIP Eugene Cernan, last man on the Moon.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Is there anyone left who has been on the moon?
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

death tried to ambush Buzz Aldrin down in Antarctica last year, but got punched in his bony face and sent home for the trouble.

this xkcd is a few years out of date now, but still a handy guide

Yet still, I live...

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Captain Cernan. 07
yiraheerai wrote:Is there anyone left who has been on the moon?
There are six men that have walked on the moon still living:

Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11
Alan Bean, Apollo 12
David Scott, Apollo 15
John W. Young, Apollo 16
Charles Duke, Apollo 16
Harrison Schmitt, Apollo 17
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Double post because Holy Shit! A rabid bobcat in Sedona, Arizona.

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

<w< there wasn't enough cream in my latte and thats what you get when you screw up developing silent hills and scalebound
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I saw that :( Here's hoping 2017 doesn't try to follow in 2016's scythe-steps.

...I had no idea what to call it. Sweeping? Grazing? I just don't know.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Reaping.

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

Taste raincow!

Finally! Good riddance! Don't let the door hit you on the way out! Yes Obama, it is time to say "you are the weakest link!"

Image now go away and never return.
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Breaking news: Time travel disproved once and for all.
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

National Day of Patriotic Devotion?

NATIONAL DAY OF PATRIOTOC DEVOTION??????????????????

Why not just call it "I'm Trump And I'm Awesome Day"?

X( X( X( X( X(
ImageImage