Thread : In the news today

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Re: Thread : In the news today

Post by BlairFan »

Artemisia, that's called "throwing the book at them." What I don't like about this case is, Shkreli is not being convicted for ripping people off, but for technical financial violations. :-?

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

*coughAlCapone/cough
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Yeah, I thought of him, too.
Sometimes you take whatever win you can get....

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

It's better to get them on something than leaving them out on the street. People can still hurt you in prison but it's... not as freely as they could if they were out? I think?
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Blairfan, unfortunately, they can't get him for ripping people off like that because raising prices sky high is not illegal. In fact, a lot of why we are facing so many financial crises these days is because so many businesses raise prices far beyond what people can pay and it creates a squeeze effect on those who actually drive the economy. It's kind of like the homework effect where teachers all think that it's alright for them to assign an hour's worth of homework per day to their students without considering that each teacher is doing the same thing leading to children having to do somewhere between six or seven hours worth of homework per day. All these CEO's are raising prices on essential items to the point where people have to start cutting certain things out, which causes even more price hiking.

So, basically, they're getting him on what they can. Which is frustrating.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Must... resist... urge... to... strangle... Pruitt!

"What the American people deserve, I think, is a true, legitimate, peer-reviewed, objective, transparent discussion about CO2," Pruitt told the Washington Post in June.
"The citizens just don't trust that EPA is honest with these numbers," Pruitt told The Wall Street Journal in February. "Let's get real, objective data, not just do modeling. Let's vigorously publish and peer-review science. Let's do honest cost-benefit work. We need to restore the trust."

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! ~X( ~X( ~X(

What you bastards want is in now way "true, peer-reviewed, objective" studies, because THOSE studies all tell you that climate change is a real thing!!! You just want lies that give the industry all freedoms to maximise profits and say Après moi, la deluge!!!! X( X( X( X( X(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Don, as far as they are concerned, until the data matches what they believe, they won't believe the data.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Haruo Nakajima, who was the original Godzilla, has apparently died at 88
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

yiraheerai wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:45 pm
Haruo Nakajima, who was the original Godzilla, has apparently died at 88
Yes, he wore the suit for every Godzilla movie from 1954 to 1972 as well as several other Toho kaiju during that era. :(

Artemisia wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:16 pm
Don, as far as they are concerned, until the data matches what they believe, they won't believe the data.
Well of course, isn't that how science works? :p

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Don, would you like to buy my new book "Did Ernst Zundel really Die?" ? I think it'll be a big seller. ;)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Today we say farewell to the Wichita Lineman, the Rhinestone Cowboy, and Ranger La Boeuf. Game until the end, Rest in Peace Glen Campbell. :(

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Michael Sheen and David Tennant to star in the BBC/Amazon adaptation of Good Omens. . .

Tennant will have gone from playing the Doctor to playing a Detective Inspector to playing a billionaire Scottish duck to playing a demon.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

So Jessica Jones, Good Omens, and Duck Tales for open projects. I wonder how that's gonna work. I know nothing about how filming shows go.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Well, voice acting takes the least amount of time. Likelihood is that Tennant did all the voice work for Scrooge McDuck over the course of a month or so. The rest depends on the type of show and how many episodes per season. With the exception of Doctor Who (due to various outside appearances), Death in Paradise (due to location filming) and soap operas, most British television series take between two and three months to film. Then again, they only do between 8 and 13 episodes per season as opposed to the American model of series which is typically 20 to 24 episodes per season. For instance, Danny John-Jules (The Cat on Red Dwarf and Dwayne on Death in Paradise) manages to film both despite the longer season run for Death in Paradise. Most shows try to accommodate filming so that the actors can do various projects, and some of them do stage in between.