Thread : In the news today

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Error of Logic

Re: Thread : In the news today

Post by Error of Logic »

Well, my party did not get as many votes as I'd hoped, but our multiple-party system at least ensures no one can get ABSOLUTE majority.... and opposition parties can still form coalitions to oppose the worst excesses.

Engy

Post by Engy »

The party I voted on didn't even get any seats, but I expected that to happen from the start.
It's going to make for an interesting coalition, though. VVD's previous ally, the Labour Party, suffered a massive loss, so we are likely to end up with a four party coalition. At least Wilders won't be a part of it, on the basis that no one wants to work with the guy.
Achievement Hunter, Software Engineer, retired competitive Team Fortress 2 Engineer, professional snarker.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I assume the Labour Party is PvdA? Wow, they lost like 77%... :| I don't think I've ever seen such a huge drop...

You have a lot of parties. :P An even more diverse landscape than Germany.

Still, it's rather embarassing the 1/5 of all voters voted PVV. In Germany, the AfD is getting significantly less these days in polls, they are back down to like 13% nationwide.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Embarrassing, indeed.
At least Groen Links got some good votes, and there is plenty of opportunity for blocs against PVV to form.

Engy

Post by Engy »

PvdA is indeed the Labour Party. They went from 38 seats to 9, which is really insane. Mind you, they've never even held fewer than 27 seats, and that was back when our lower parliament had only 100 seats (nowadays it's 150). The establishment definitely has been shook up in this election, and it wasn't because of Wilders.

We had 28 parties to vote on in this election, depending on your area (not every party is electable in every district. In mine we could vote on 'only' 26).

PVV didn't get 20% of the votes, they got 20 seats, which means they got 13% of the votes (our lower parliament has 150 seats, so 150 * 0.13 = 20, give or take).
Achievement Hunter, Software Engineer, retired competitive Team Fortress 2 Engineer, professional snarker.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

RIP Chuck Berry. :(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

i'd assumed he had already died years ago
Yet still, I live...

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

"C'est la vie" said the old folks. It goes to show you never can tell. Thanks, Chuck.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Raamyah
Creator of small worlds

Post by Raamyah »

Chuck Berry AND Chuck Barris have died in the same week? Dang.
"There are four pillars of existence that support the very foundations of the universe: the speed of light in a vacuum, the Planck constant, Newtonian gravity, and the all-encompassing awesomeness of breasts." - Pauli Polsuo

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid." - Anonymous

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Bravo, Tennessee :ymapplause: :ymtongue: Now maybe you'd like to give her Father a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it.

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Son of a dog....

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Farewell, Don Rickles. Thanks for the laughs.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

And now Paul O'Neill, founder of TSO. :(

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Yeah. :( The background guru of Savatage.

Also, vehicular terror in Stockholm, US bombarding Syria...

Nice day.
ImageImage

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

I'm annoyed at this ... Carrie Fisher news.
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.