Thread : In the news today

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Thread : In the news today

Post by Don Alexander »

The evidence for Scholz's Star coming close to the Solar System seems pretty good.

Arti, Planet Nine is definitely not a red dwarf, I'm pretty sure it would be visible to the naked eye if it were. Red dwarfs are faint stars but we are speaking of just a few hundred AU. The mass has been roughly determined to ten Earth masses (red dwarfs are thousands of times more massive), so it's a Neptune equivalent.

Indeed, evidence has been building from orbital dynamics of smaller bodies. The rough prediction of the location of Planet Nine places it in the Milky Way disk right now, making the search incredibly hard. :(

Also in the news: Fast Times at Puigdemont High
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Erm, okay then. So Germany arrested him why now?
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Don Alexander wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:33 pm
The evidence for Scholz's Star coming close to the Solar System seems pretty good.

Arti, Planet Nine is definitely not a red dwarf, I'm pretty sure it would be visible to the naked eye if it were. Red dwarfs are faint stars but we are speaking of just a few hundred AU. The mass has been roughly determined to ten Earth masses (red dwarfs are thousands of times more massive), so it's a Neptune equivalent.

Indeed, evidence has been building from orbital dynamics of smaller bodies. The rough prediction of the location of Planet Nine places it in the Milky Way disk right now, making the search incredibly hard. :(

Also in the news: Fast Times at Puigdemont High
Ah, okay, sorry about that, I got them a bit confused. I kind of abandoned astronomy as a valid (for me) area of inquiry in 1993 due to the excessive amounts of mathematics that it entailed. My sister was always better at maths than me. So, my up-to-date research is a bit lagging.

Thanks for the clarification.

Still...I'm glad that the series Red Dwarf is getting another season.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Azrael wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:05 am
Erm, okay then. So Germany arrested him why now?
Because there was an international arrest warrant out for him.

A German police chief actually cast quite a bit of shade toward Denmark because they just let him drive through.

We German know what happens when you let people like that just drive through...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Okay, that makes more sense. The article didn't say anything about an international arrest warrant. It made it sound like the German police were just sticking their spoon in randomly. And we all know what happens when Germany sticks their spoon in Spanish political affairs. :P

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Eiko Kadonoe, the writer of Kiki's Delivery Service won the Hans-Christian Andersen Award which, according to the article, is the something like the "Nobel Prize" for children's lit.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

heard about it. Excellent!
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I just found out chimpanzees can have civil wars. They finally know what caused one in the 70s. They really are our cousins.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

It's funny...our closest cousins, evolutionarily speaking, are chimps and bonobos....chimps are aggressive, war mongering and rather rapey while bonobos are free love, peaceful and very hippy like.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I guess it's fitting that we're in the middle.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Artemisia wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:57 pm
It's funny...our closest cousins, evolutionarily speaking, are chimps and bonobos....chimps are aggressive, war mongering and rather rapey while bonobos are free love, peaceful and very hippy like.
As soon as the chimps figure out how to incur nuclear fission using two bananas, a coconut and some ants; they'll be blowing those pinko commie bonobos straight to hell.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Not until they've finished with their age-old enemies, the baboons, and their nemeses, the other chimpanzees.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

"This is so sexy," another added.
There's a kink for everything man.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »